Bigger rear bar

Started by 00quattro00, January 31, 2011, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00quattro00

Where can I get a bigger rear sway bar for my 90 quattro? The one on there is tiny and probably has little effect
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

hemihead

whiteline do one, can't quite remember size around 14 mm maybe

5-pot

Or pillage the front one from a Typ85/Typ89 car and modify to fit...  might need some generic droplinks or something.  I had this setup on my Cq and it was quite effective.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

00quattro00

wont the front be too big?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

5-pot

*shrug* i only drove it on the street but in the few months I had it on there, I didn't have any issues driving in the rain and on gravel roads...  It was a marked improvement... A lot less understeer through roundabouts :P

I guess it's a "free" mod in that you can probably get one for free if you hunted around.  the front and rear subframes have identical dimensions, apart from the diff mounting, etc so, it's easy enough to get the bar on there.  the biggest pain was the droplinks for me.  the ends of the swaybar are angled inwards a little so, you have to either flatten them out or get long droplinks and put a kink in them to prevent the bracket on the suspension upright from bending and breaking.  If you ever get one, you'll see what I mean...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

00quattro00

Ive got spare subframes, both front and rear, typ85 and typ89. it is a typ85 90q with coupe quattro 2 piece struts and rear subframe with a sway bar from a  typ89 coupe quattro. Was the bar you fitted from a typ89 or typ85?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

5-pot

I used the front bar off an early typ89 80q with the bar that attaches with the little droplinks to the wishbones with small rubber bushes rather than the long links with ball joints on the ends, attaching to the struts.  The bar is probably the same as that found on the typ85 since the americans use "4kq" ones, A.K.A. 4000 quattro, A.K.A. typ85 80q.  Wish I had some pictures with me at work!

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

00quattro00

How did you attach the rear bar to the arms or struts?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

5-pot

I bought some generic drop links from BNT.  They had balljoints on both ends and were threaded along the whole length.  One balljoint could be unthreaded. I then used some poly bushes and big washers and nuts to attach the bar to the threaded end.  Kinda sandwiched the bar between the bushes and used two nuts on each side of the "sandwich" to hold it all in place.  I attached the balljoint on the other end to the strut using the factory bracket.

If you have one of these bars, you'll notice the holes on each end are angled inward.  it would be very good to be able to angle these more horizontal as it makes it a lot easier to attach the bar and it will put less stress on the bushes, balljoint and bracket on the strut!  You'll see what I mean once you get it on there.

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI