New Car for me, B7 RS4 Avant Black

Started by beeker, February 19, 2011, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

Quote from: CBFWI on April 20, 2011, 06:54:48 PM
lol just do it. It will make up for the fact you don't own a white RS4. Instead you have a sleek wolf. That could growl on command.

For the upgrade price (swap + $$) they offered, i could have had it installed into my black one, and had change....
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Bullseye

Scuse the silly question:

Does forced induction create more carbon build up or does the additional heat help?
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

Filx

Quote from: beeker on April 20, 2011, 05:40:38 PM
If all else fails, a 570hp APR Supercharger kit will fix it :)

http://www.goapr.com/products/stage3_b7_rs4.html

That's what you need - they seem to get along well with a bit of boost!  >:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0EBeRp54w
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

spooln

Quote from: HaNs on April 20, 2011, 09:11:00 AM
I saw your car getting "cleaned" and boy was it a messy job!

Is this and issue worldwide or do you think it's the quality petrol down here?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

beeker

Quote from: spooln on April 20, 2011, 08:03:42 PM
Is this and issue worldwide or do you think it's the quality petrol down here?

Its quite simple.

Any FSI / Direct injection engine does not 'clean' the inlet manifold (as petrol includes a cleaning agent) as the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. As such, due to a bit of valve overlap and also crankcase revent via the inlet manifold, the inlet manifold slowly get dirty.

Fuel and fuel additives have a minimal effect, as this never goes throu the inlet manifold.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

It happens to all FSI engines, not just Vag ones.

You say that reving them helps Beeker but I cant really see how? You wouldnt end up with a rich enough mix to go in through the valve over lap and do anything of value compared to the amount of time normal driving?
I can imagine cleaning those carboned up intakes was DISSSSGUSTING work, car carbon gunk is so sticky and filthy.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on April 20, 2011, 07:21:40 PM
For the upgrade price (swap + $$) they offered, i could have had it installed into my black one, and had change....
I know that they are a car dealership and all, but I really can't help but think that their sales team needs to take certain factors into account. Would it not have created immense goodwill to have offered a much more realistic swap/trade scenario that did not see you forking out thousands and thousands more for a car that you only bought a few months prior? and that, by all accounts, has actually been a bit of a pain in the arse? Would make it all the more likely that when it comes to hand the B7 in for the next weapon that you will return the business back to them. Really, you weren't buying a 2002 diesel Volvo.

But hey, I am pretty fussy when it comes to customer support/sales support as this is how I believe in doing business. Each to their own. Supercharger kit would be the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY

I love this one ^^^
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: BB on April 20, 2011, 08:56:23 PM
It happens to all FSI engines, not just Vag ones.

You say that reving them helps Beeker but I cant really see how? You wouldnt end up with a rich enough mix to go in through the valve over lap and do anything of value compared to the amount of time normal driving?
I can imagine cleaning those carboned up intakes was DISSSSGUSTING work, car carbon gunk is so sticky and filthy.

The common tasks to reduce build up include:
> Regular full rev blowout
> Extended driving in a low gear at motorway speeds, then a high rev blowout.
> Variety of inlet manifold cleaning agents (most dont work). The new Aerosol ones have some promise.

Once its established and baked on, the only solution is a manual scrub clean.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

Yes, but I can't see how giving it the boot would clean it out at all? Inside the cylynder yes but not the intake manifolds as no matter how hard you rev it you still dont put anything but air, blowby and burnt exhaust due to the overlap in the valves.
I think its mostly the blowby that gunks it up.
Change your oil more often than 15,000kms buddy. That service length is stupid on a car with tolerances like that.
And nobody can say that VAG engines don't gum and tarnish up.

I would look into a blowby can? But then the recurculation systems seem so complicated on that car........3 cyclones ???

5-pot

no doubt someone in the future will run a small injector in the manifold somewhere that constantly sprays a little bit of fuel into the air charge for the express purpose of keeping the manifolds clean...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

beeker

Quote from: 5-pot on April 21, 2011, 06:06:06 PM
no doubt someone in the future will run a small injector in the manifold somewhere that constantly sprays a little bit of fuel into the air charge for the express purpose of keeping the manifolds clean...

Funny you say that. The Lexus ISF has a hybrid port and direct injection. I suspect its for this very reason.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

00quattro00

I cant believe that they didnt think they would carbon up, just look at all those crapty mitsubishi gdi engine ::)
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Oh lord do the gdis do that as well.
Watch out putting a imperial sparkplug socket down ones spark plug hole they get stuck and its a big deal.
Ive ground my one down but its supossed to be a 16mm.

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on April 22, 2011, 08:26:13 AM
Funny you say that. The Lexus ISF has a hybrid port and direct injection. I suspect its for this very reason.
I wonder how hard it would be to retro-fit a port injection? Surely it would mess with fueling something chronic resulting in the engine running too rich? (Or would the ECU adjust for this and reduce the direct injection fuel mixture?
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

aidanw

Just to chip in here about the fuel injection - I've owned 2 Mitsi GDI cars. One of them ran smooth as silk as I was very thorough maintaining it, cleaning the intake, using injector cleaner etc.
The other (same model) ran much rougher and was actually quite lumpy to drive. It was a runabout while my Subaru RX was being written off by insurance due to a mowing guy rear-ending it (he was a good dude and completely got it sorted). I never did any work on it and knew it was carboned up big time.
So moral of the story is that if/when I own a FSI/GDI style engine again I'll be keeping up maintenance heavily.

beeker

Quote from: Stickman on April 25, 2011, 12:03:18 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to retro-fit a port injection? Surely it would mess with fueling something chronic resulting in the engine running too rich? (Or would the ECU adjust for this and reduce the direct injection fuel mixture?

When the carbon issue first arose, most thought it was a combination of oil recirculation from the crank case and valve overlap.

A few installed separate oil cans. Over time this has proven to not help, and the carbon issue appears to be a valve overlap related issue (with no fuel coming throu the inlet manifold to clean it).

There was a few guys looking at meth (I think it was meth) injection systems which would boost horsepower and also help clean the inlet manifold. Have heard no feedback since, but in principle it sounded interesting.

Fuel based additives may help a minor amount (and will help injectors), but as it doesn't travel through the inlet manifold, it doesn't clean it.

There has been a glimmer of hope with some new Aerosol based cleaners which you spray into the inlet manifold (ideally after the MAF) and many have reported noticeable increases in performance after use. I'm keen to try it myself as part of a preventative maintenance program, and are currently discussing this with Giltraps on the topic.
see: http://www.wynns.net/product_files/direct%20injection%20power%203%20(aerosol)%2023079.pdf

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Stickman

The meth idea is interesting. I know a guy who ran a meth setup in his MR2 and he thought it was the bee's knees for a performance increase.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: Stickman on April 25, 2011, 10:04:42 PM
The meth idea is interesting. I know a guy who ran a meth setup in his MR2 and he thought it was the bee's knees for a performance increase.

I believe there are turnkey kits ?

Not that i am so daring.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

00quattro00

Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

nordschleife

Hi Noel,

Resurrecting an old topic here but I'm wondering if there have been any developments or if you have had your car on a dyno since?

I've driven 2 B7 RS4s in the last two weeks.  One a sedan that felt quick - similar to my M5 performance.  The other an Avant that felt lethargic.  Getting back into the Wife's Octavia vRS after driving the Avant felt like they had similar pace.  I'd say it was missing 100kw and was nowhere near M5 performance.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold