New Car for me, B7 RS4 Avant Black

Started by beeker, February 19, 2011, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

Quote from: nordschleife on August 13, 2012, 08:41:21 PM
Hi Noel,

Resurrecting an old topic here but I'm wondering if there have been any developments or if you have had your car on a dyno since?

I've driven 2 B7 RS4s in the last two weeks.  One a sedan that felt quick - similar to my M5 performance.  The other an Avant that felt lethargic.  Getting back into the Wife's Octavia vRS after driving the Avant felt like they had similar pace.  I'd say it was missing 100kw and was nowhere near M5 performance.

We'll you could say it had an additional carbon clean recently, as they replaced both manifolds under warranty!!
ie It chucked a solenoid error on the inlet flaps, and the factory said replace both entire manifolds.

It cetainly still has the 5500 kick.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

nordschleife

Thanks.  Did you notice a change in performance?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

UKRSKiwi

I have staged an approach to mods for my RS and I can tell you that getting the carbon cleaned and any vacuum leaks sorted makes a huge difference.

The Avant sounds like a vacuum leak issue, basically goes okish but no kick or eagerness. Even with carbon build up the car should still give a kick.

Mine is perhaps an exception as I don't have any manifold flaps, power comes on smoother and top end has loads more toe if you get this done properly.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

beeker

Quote from: nordschleife on August 13, 2012, 08:59:10 PM
Thanks.  Did you notice a change in performance?

No, but it only had a carbon clean 9 months earlier. Butt dyno's arnt always accurate either!
I'm also consistent in giving it regular full revs (when fully warm). An unproven method, but makes sense to me.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

Makes sense and must also be quite fun.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

nordschleife

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on August 13, 2012, 09:39:11 PM
The Avant sounds like a vacuum leak issue, basically goes okish but no kick or eagerness. Even with carbon build up the car should still give a kick.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense.  The S button made no noticeable difference to the exhaust sound at idle in the Avant where in the sedan it was very noticeable - even the metallic sound of the flaps opening was quite obvious on the sedan but I don't recall hearing it on the Avant.  My understanding is that the exhaust flaps are operated via vacuum which also points to a vacuum leak.

Is there a common area that causes vacuum leaks on these?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

beeker

Quote from: nordschleife on August 17, 2012, 07:56:11 PM
Is there a common area that causes vacuum leaks on these?

Yes. I recall reading on rs246.com

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

UKRSKiwi

The first place to try is pipe work on the actuators for the exhaust flaps. Simply as they are the easiest to get to. Then it's down to your local Audi guru to trace it from there! Lots of small pipework to go through unfortunately.

The air box also has a flap in it that is vacuum controlled and this can sometimes seize. This will also affect performance however the exhaust flaps should still open.

Just for info,  the exhaust flaps are shut by a vacuum so when the car is turned off they should be open.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

nordschleife

Thanks, I suspect they were open all the time - easy enough to check.  It was inside a warehouse when it started so it sounded loud due to that fact.  I don't recall hearing the exhaust flaps close as it sat idling.

It also had a couple of errors regarding insufficient flow on the secondary air injection system.  This could be vacuum related as well.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Jeremy RS4

Quote from: beeker on April 25, 2011, 04:53:11 PM
When the carbon issue first arose, most thought it was a combination of oil recirculation from the crank case and valve overlap.

A few installed separate oil cans. Over time this has proven to not help, and the carbon issue appears to be a valve overlap related issue (with no fuel coming throu the inlet manifold to clean it).

There was a few guys looking at meth (I think it was meth) injection systems which would boost horsepower and also help clean the inlet manifold. Have heard no feedback since, but in principle it sounded interesting.

Fuel based additives may help a minor amount (and will help injectors), but as it doesn't travel through the inlet manifold, it doesn't clean it.

There has been a glimmer of hope with some new Aerosol based cleaners which you spray into the inlet manifold (ideally after the MAF) and many have reported noticeable increases in performance after use. I'm keen to try it myself as part of a preventative maintenance program, and are currently discussing this with Giltraps on the topic.
see: http://www.wynns.net/product_files/direct%20injection%20power%203%20(aerosol)%2023079.pdf

Beeker, this last paragraph is interesting. Any outcome from it?
Audi RS4 B7 2006
Black on Black
Custom Dyno Tune
JHM Intake Spacers and K & N
Deleted Cats
Hardwired Beltronics STiR (essential!)

beeker

Quote from: Jeremy RS4 on March 04, 2013, 09:29:30 PM
Beeker, this last paragraph is interesting. Any outcome from it?

Never went there in the end. There is some interesting developments with some experimenting with water/meth injection into the inlet manifold. Not only does this keep it clean, but produce slightly more power.

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=98750&p=552799&hilit=water+injection#p552799

Else, a 2 year manual scrub is required!
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback