Touareg eating pads

Started by Hoff, February 24, 2011, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoff

It seems to be about every 6 months or so when the touareg needs new brake pads either front or rear or both. I was wanting to know if anyone knows of any decent replacement pads that would give us better better wear?
Cheers Nick
1985 Mk2 Golf GTI
1900 High comp race engine, Advanti magswrapped in F1's,Nardi wheel,Samco Coolant Hoses,KW Varient 2 Coilovers,OMP front strut brace,256mm brake upgrade
Mk1 Golf Project
MK2 Project

beeker

Quote from: Nick_85_gti on February 24, 2011, 03:59:50 PM
It seems to be about every 6 months or so when the touareg needs new brake pads either front or rear or both. I was wanting to know if anyone knows of any decent replacement pads that would give us better better wear?
Cheers Nick

Are you using OEM ?

Only had our Touareg for a short time, but my short expereince and expectation is ~30kms per pad replacement. Assumes OEM (Pagid).
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Hoff

yea OEM at the moment. seems to be gettin 20kms a set at the moment i can only put that down to the way dad must be driving :police: haha
1985 Mk2 Golf GTI
1900 High comp race engine, Advanti magswrapped in F1's,Nardi wheel,Samco Coolant Hoses,KW Varient 2 Coilovers,OMP front strut brace,256mm brake upgrade
Mk1 Golf Project
MK2 Project

beeker

Quote from: Nick_85_gti on February 24, 2011, 05:38:51 PM
yea OEM at the moment. seems to be gettin 20kms a set at the moment i can only put that down to the way dad must be driving :police: haha

They are a heavy car, but that sounds on the heavy use side. Is he running OEM rotors ?
Else... is running the all the way till the sensors trigger, or trusting some mechanic's interpretation of when to change ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Hoff

yea oem rotors as well. and they go pretty fast.  All ways until we decide that they need changing not when the sensors trigger.
are you using oem rotors and pads?
1985 Mk2 Golf GTI
Mk1 Golf Project
MK2 Project

beeker

Quote from: Nick_85_gti on February 24, 2011, 06:41:13 PM
yea oem rotors as well. and they go pretty fast.  All ways until we decide that they need changing not when the sensors trigger.
are you using oem rotors and pads?

Run them until the sensors trigger. Both Tristram VW and CCS audi tell me this is ok. You still have ~3,000 kms after that until your into trouble.
Yes, we are running OEM Pads and Rotors. We've only owned it for a 4 month period (had to change front and back straight away), so i'm making a few assumptions.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

M

I just done Range Rover fronts tonight, that is 80,000km on front rotors and 2 sets of pads. Rangey is a fair bit heavier than a Touareg and we lived in hilly Dunedin for most of that and toured the South Island 3 times. Pads were not even on wear sensor and rotors were lipped but not totally dead.

I would suggest he is maybe a left foot braker? Dragging both at the same time? From experience we would do Cayenne brakes every 30-40k km's but I remember doing Rangey Sport brakes on a car with 14k km on it!!!!  :o
Too much power is almost enough.

watercooled

Quote from: beeker on February 24, 2011, 06:53:26 PM
Run them until the sensors trigger. Both Tristram VW and CCS audi tell me this is ok. You still have ~3,000 kms after that until your into trouble.
Yes, we are running OEM Pads and Rotors. We've only owned it for a 4 month period (had to change front and back straight away), so i'm making a few assumptions.

The sensors IMO are to send you in for a service or to the parts man,for example most BMW's set off the sensors fairly early,but that depends if you what to buy new sensors and pads,the sensors can be crazy money.
Aftermarket pads can cause rapid disk wear (long life) or dust up your wheels and last for a short time.
If your disks are worn they will cut into the new pads to greate a running surface in relation to the wear ,this will reduce pad life .
Don't know the age of the car but you could also have sticky pistons in the calipers.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.