What Suspension Mods To Do?

Started by .:R32, December 22, 2005, 12:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:R32

hey everyone I'm after a set of lowered springs for my 2000 a4 what do ya recommend i get? H&R, Kingsprings, MTM etc whats the lowest springs i can get and what would i be looking at paying for a set?

thanks very much for your help

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

beeker

Quote from: NasTnaS on December 22, 2005, 01:01:16 AM
go for H&R

agree H&R lowering springs. If you wanna do it properly, do H&R Coilovers.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

just been looking at the h&r website and when using the Race springs (most drop in height) it says "performance aftermarket shocks or struts is highly recommended in this application"  :-\ would i be OK using the race springs with my Sachs shocks also can anyone shed some light about my suspension set up (Sachs)?

beeker

Quote from: A.U.D.I on December 23, 2005, 01:32:34 AM
just been looking at the h&r website and when using the Race springs (most drop in height) it says "performance aftermarket shocks or struts is highly recommended in this application"? :-\ would i be OK using the race springs with my Sachs shocks also can anyone shed some light about my suspension set up (Sachs)?

I have SACH shocks on my 2001 A4 TQM Lemans. The lemans has the "quattro GmbH suspension kit" that was higher spec that the older 'Sport'.

If your only going 20>30mm lower than std with lowering springs, you're prob ok with springs alone. However, its always recommended you get a shock/spring combo, so you shocks are working in the correct range of operation. It depends on your budget and goal.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

bsting

For another option email  www.tmtuning.com

See what they can put together for you...btw ask for Robert or Damian (canadians who work there)

:)

i wana rs6

Where can you get sachs suspension systems?

tmtuning hasnt finished there website yet.

hey dose anyone know how much lower the audi a4 sports suspension kit (sach shock/spring) is compared to the standard spec a4, how much lower will a set of h&r race springs drop my height

thanks very much

Dicardo

Look up Eibach....I am fairly certain they support Audi. They provide the VAG sport suspension kit sold by VW of America. Spring/Shock matched combination. If you have the money my recommendation would be Eibach springs w/ Bilsteins.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Dicardo on February 19, 2006, 08:18:12 PM
Look up Eibach....I am fairly certain they support Audi. They provide the VAG sport suspension kit sold by VW of America. Spring/Shock matched combination. If you have the money my recommendation would be Eibach springs w/ Bilsteins.

Exactly what i am doing this week

Dicardo

Good on you Hitman. I didn't realize the beauty of that combination until AFTER I installed my Pro-kit >:(

Turbo

Quote from: Dicardo on February 19, 2006, 08:18:12 PM

that's what i had in my A4, wicked setup. haven't compared it to H&R coilovers though.

what's the benefit of coilovers compared to a good spring and shock set up other than adjustability?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Dubious

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on February 19, 2006, 09:56:44 PM
that's what i had in my A4, wicked setup. haven't compared it to H&R coilovers though.

what's the benefit of coilovers compared to a good spring and shock set up other than adjustability?

I'm looking at the H&R Cup Kit for my next car (whatever it may be  :D), heard nothing but good reviews
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Dicardo

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on February 19, 2006, 09:56:44 PM

For street driving, in my opinion, coilovers are the wrong application IF you are trying to use them for what they were intended. Coilovers provide the adjustability to balance the four corners of your car.

For street, a complimentary spring/shock combo is the way to go. IF you are looking to drop your car, then coilovers provide a cheaper solution than airbags. My 2 cents.

Period_Correct_

Quote from: Dicardo on February 19, 2006, 11:27:57 PM
For street driving, in my opinion, coilovers are the wrong application IF you are trying to use them for what they were intended. Coilovers provide the adjustability to balance the four corners of your car.

For street, a complimentary spring/shock combo is the way to go. IF you are looking to drop your car, then coilovers provide a cheaper solution than airbags. My 2 cents.

but airbags are way cooler... for street purpose....

some say they even handle better [ Sarcasm Emoticon ]
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Dicardo on February 19, 2006, 09:46:44 PM
Good on you Hitman. I didn't realize the beauty of that combination until AFTER I installed my Pro-kit >:(

Im just waiting on the Rear Shocks to arrive.. ive already taken delivery of the front struts...  :o (they have big rods/shafts/pistons)

Turbo

Quote from: Dicardo on February 19, 2006, 11:27:57 PM

a few reviews i've read about suspension set ups in audi quattros have all said to stiffen the rear springs to reduce oversteer.
would would this be easier to do with coilovers rather than guessing which springs would be right?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Dicardo

Is your A4 a quattro? If so, I could guess what the right answer is, but I'm not really sure. Your weight distribution would be different than what FWD A4's have.

In a FWD car, stiffening the rear end, typically reduces understeer (front from sliding). The stiffer the rear end, the sooner it will typically "break loose" and once the rear end starts coming around, your steering picks up....probably not the best explanation but you get the idea.

I have a rear sway set on the stiffest setting currently, which helps to "balance" the car. By reducing the available traction at the "lighter" rear end, the car behaves in a more balanced manner. With FWD if you lift your foot mid-corner you can typically get your rear end to slide as well. If you want good advise on suspension I would say write to Nuespeed in Camarillo, CA (via the web). I learned a lot from the guys there, just by poking my head in and asking questions.

The point I am making is suspension is a complicated thing, and simply me telling you what to do over the net, won't necessarily address the issue you are trying to correct. Get to the source and see what they tell you about suspension behaviour in general, before making the next decision re: spring/shock or coilover.

Turbo

Quote from: Dicardo on February 20, 2006, 05:06:12 PM
Is your A4 a quattro? If so, I could guess what the right answer is, but I'm not really sure. Your weight distribution would be different than what FWD A4's have.

yeah it was a quattro, i should mention it also had a 32mm sway bar which would also contribute to its keener steering.

that set up was really good as far as i was concerned, but i've read a few things about H&R coilovers (most of it on here) that suggest they're better.
they're more expensive, certainly, but if i don't need adjustability, then surely i don't need coilovers.

this is all academic at this stage, cos i don't think i'll get around to doing anything with my S4's suspension or handling for a while. it's not as good as my A4's was, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination. and lowering it isn't an option unless i move house (i guess that's one case why coilovers would be better than springs)

Dicardo

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on February 20, 2006, 05:41:53 PM
...but if i don't need adjustability, then surely i don't need coilovers.

That is certainly my opinion. Buying coilovers for street use, for any reason other than adjusting the ride height appearance, is using the technology incorrectly. Look, coilovers are fantastic, but for the premium you pay, unless you have your car balanced, it's like buying 285's for a car with 200hp. Yeah they work, but do you need it? Oh, and I don't always take my own advice either, so if you see my car, don't ask silly questions like "Do you really need that"...it would be missing the point :)