What Suspension Mods To Do?

Started by .:R32, December 22, 2005, 12:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitmanGTI

my mate said my car didnt need bilstiens i told him to damn off..

i said his uncles mercedes didnt need brakes.. cos its to heavy to move any where any way.. he told me to damn off lol

Turbo

Quote from: Dicardo on February 20, 2006, 06:46:01 PM
That is certainly my opinion. Buying coilovers for street use, for any reason other than adjusting the ride height appearance, is using the technology incorrectly. Look, coilovers are fantastic, but for the premium you pay, unless you have your car balanced, it's like buying 285's for a car with 200hp. Yeah they work, but do you need it? Oh, and I don't always take my own advice either, so if you see my car, don't ask silly questions like "Do you really need that"...it would be missing the point :)

yeah cool.
would adjusting coilovers change the spring tension? i.e lower = harder, higher = softer? or is it pretty uniform?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on February 20, 2006, 07:24:58 PM
yeah cool.
would adjusting coilovers change the spring tension? i.e lower = harder, higher = softer? or is it pretty uniform?

Some coil over kits ie Bilstien PSS-9 come with adjustable Shock Stiffness etc etc..

Dicardo

I don't believe coilovers change spring rate. Coilovers have a threaded sleeve that allows you to adjust their height, and typically they come w/ adjustable shocks as well, which allow you to adjust dampening rate and therefore the "felt"spring rate.

Dubious

Quote from: HitmanGTI on February 20, 2006, 06:50:04 PM
my mate said my car didnt need bilstiens i told him to f**k off..

i said his uncles mercedes didnt need brakes.. cos its to heavy to move any where any way.. he told me to f**k off lol

Was that the tourettes flaring up again?
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

isnowi

Anyone on here have any experience with vogtland springs? am looking at some 40mm sport springs with koni adjustables, any thoughts or recommendations? What about jamex springs? i know they are cheap, but are they any good?

cheers Dan
1985 Subaru Brumby
2003 Golf Variant Highline

hitmanGTI

If you look around you can snap up mean deals.. i got my set of eibach springs for 200bux NEW!!

Period_Correct_

Quote from: isnowi on February 20, 2006, 09:42:49 PM
Anyone on here have any experience with vogtland springs? am looking at some 40mm sport springs with koni adjustables, any thoughts or recommendations? What about jamex springs? i know they are cheap, but are they any good?

cheers Dan

i have jamex... i want to change them, just not happy with them...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

.:R32

sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm thinking about getting adjustable coil-overs, whats the price like these days for a set? i got a quote for a set of H&R coil-overs at $3300, what about D2's :-\  any help or ideas would be great

JimmyRoyale

Quote from: A.U.D.I on June 11, 2006, 11:35:47 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm thinking about getting adjustable coil-overs, whats the price like these days for a set? i got a quote for a set of H&R coil-overs at $3300, what about D2's :-\  any help or ideas would be great

Hey there,

I got a quote off TeamFBI the other day for a set of D2's for my '96 A4TQ. I was quoted $1,850.00 + $160 for fitting and then the $300-$350 for certification.

I was probably going to go for this option as I simply can't find any shocks (at any price) on their own that will offer me comparable let alone better handling. 

Bilstein quoted me $699ea for rears and $499ea for fronts. Anothercrowd offered to put cartridges into my existing shocks to rejuvenate them. I can't remember if they were Monroe or Koni but it was one of them.

I have a nice set of lowered springs and I just want to replace my shocks but it is simply too hard to find any for any price and the service I have had from various vendors has been absolutely atrocious!! PM me for more info. So I have decided to get some D2's off Team FBI. D2's seem to be good quality product, they gave me great advice, they got back to me very promptly and the price seems pretty fair.

Thats my piece of mind.

Dicardo

Those prices seems like MAD money (recent import here)! I know this an old thread but I couldn't resist the shock! What damper are they using for the coilover kit?

Dicardo

Yes indeed. No, been crazy busy at work and moved again (further out; now in Puke). 2 more weeks and work should relax and I'll be able to catch up w/ you guys on Wednesday and look for great advice like where to spend money on my car!