Where to buy 710N diverter valve

Started by volcanoblack, March 03, 2011, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon MkII

Quote from: attilathehun on March 23, 2011, 04:54:08 PM
I buy just about everything from overseas. Today I purchased 4 Faria gauges for my yacht from the USA (yes I have a yacht, so my business acumen cant be too bad  :D). Landed cost $160 compared to a Kiwi business that wanted close to $400 and couldn't answer any questions about the product. I have enquired about many things from many different companies and my overriding experience was bad, most dont even bother to return phone calls or give quotes when I ask . Obviously there are exceptions and maybe your company is one... Just try and get someone to come to your house to give a quote - I bet if you phone 4 you will be lucky to have one pitch. So MY experience which may be subjective and sweeping is what matters to ME. By the way, I have travelled widely and I think I am well qualified to assess Kiwi workmanship, quality, customer service and dare I say it - integrity, as below my expectations or what I have received elsewhere.

Maybe it's just cause you're a dick?
Mazda Mx5

attilathehun

;) I guess you just proved my point, but you are probably too thick to figure it out without a guide dog and a cane. So put the simple back into your name and get back to the village, I hear some of them quite miss the idiot.

Angle

Although Kiwi service can be fantastic, there is the inability at times to give the customer what they want, or explore options that are unfamiliar or not tried and true. As to responses, I don't know if NZ is any worse than anywhere else, but I think because good service can be so good, bad service sticks out. I went into a gym, talked to the owner for 15 minutes about personal training requirements, goals, days, etc and was told unprompted "I'll have a quote to you before noon". One week later and no response. The next trainer I tried was at our house the next day, and my programme through in the morning. Unfortunately, the former is more regular than the latter.

user2154

I think I will always go to the shop to buy pants.

You know there are just some things which will always be better bought with the help of a good shop assistant. But other things these days are just more conveniently bought online.

Vorsprung

Quote from: user2154 on March 30, 2011, 09:37:19 AM
I think I will always go to the shop to buy pants.

You know there are just some things which will always be better bought with the help of a good shop assistant. But other things these days are just more conveniently bought online.
Unfortunately these are becoming few and far between.
I consider myself quite lucky because I have friends in the automotive industry and seldom have to pay the retail price on anything. I would tend to agree with those who think that car parts tend to be more expensive than they need to be or are overseas (Repco would be a perfect example of this). Economy of scale is probably right but not in the way it was meant. Fewer stores = less competition = more profit. Australia has a great car seen with isn't destroyed by run away pricing.
I must point out that NOT ALL stores or parts suppliers are rip off merchants, and it not restricted to this market only. The industry I work in is rife with massive margin on retail and trade products.

Sorry for the hijacked thread
1989 Audi 80 1.8 supercharged

Turbo

wow, way to be defensive guys.
attila is just stating his experience. which i think all of us have had at least a little taste of.

the world is getting smaller and business is changing with it.
those who don't change won't make it. so instead of biting off his head for not supporting nz business like it's a charity, why not look at the reasons he isn't and try to offer something other than put downs to get him to reconsider buying locally.
if this is the kind of customer service he can expect here i don't blame him for looking elsewhere.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

ranton-inc

Seriously buy a VW or a Audi and then want to Scrounge on Part costs...?

I learnt one thing during my tenure with VWs if there is two options.. expensive and less expensive.. always go for the expensive option

less expensive more often than not bites you on your ass later...

Turbo

i think we're talking about the buying same part at different prices. not knock offs. or am i mistaken?

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

ranton-inc

Quote from: Turbo on March 31, 2011, 12:55:26 PM
i think we're talking about the buying same part at different prices. not knock offs. or am i mistaken?

no your not

but buy a part from Giltraps of Contis or platinum

if the part is faulty take it back and swap it under consumer guarantees act

vs part bought from over seas

if faulty cost you postage back to overseas location
and massive delay..

Turbo

right, with you now.

sure, i agree with that.
but some things you can buy replacements from overseas and still have paid less in total than buying 1 locally. it just whether you want to wear the risk/wait.

personally, i buy locally out of the hope that more money stays in NZ.