PROJECT Marinogelb (Orange) Rocco - Ex Silver

Started by spooln, March 05, 2011, 07:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooln

Righto , restore of silver Rocco ex Darfield leanto.

Both cars arrived Auckland 1 day prior to the big shake. Cars were part of a joint bid, and the Blue car is of to a collector who wanted to remain low profile. I'm sure it will surface later but is in good hands so this post will focus on the silver car.

I have also ended up with the tan interior from the blue car as the interiors have been swapped. What.... Actually not that big a deal as the interior needed to come out to clean up the car. This is a bit dirty but seriously as tidy as the photos on tm looked. Not cherry but not far from it.

Shell is  in pretty good overall condition. Some rust in the bottom of the a pillar, and in a few other spots, but pan, sills and strut towers all look pretty good. So for a car that Gil found on the side of the road 10 years ago abandoned, and has been under a leanto for the last 5 it's in pretty good nick. Some bog on one door, but no accident damage. Thanks gil (ex owner) they are both as you described.

So dropped of at Verts for do his thing. Focus is on the body at this stage. Objective is a pretty oem looking restore, with subtle improvements here and there. Vert will hopefull post some pics from the clean up of the body etc

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

spooln

This is the direction of this project http://majorgav.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/scirocco.jpg

The stripes were factory from the SL model. Will also go low but use different wheels. Factory spiel here http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/faq/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/slengbro.jpg
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

GTI's

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing a MK1 rocco come back to life!
Get some photos up Neil.

spooln

Vert has some, unfortunately ive been so busy i actally havent taken any yet.

Black plated single wiper goodness, but you already have one covered with poo! Vert will save me later today hopefully.

Angle

Really like the look of the white car!

80 Vert

We gutted the silver car last week, motor, box and loom are all thats currently left in the car.
Once thats all out its going in for sandblasting to uncover the sills and all the areas where they are prone for rust, makes rust repair a whole lot easier if you can see what you are dealing with.

Once Spooln has decided on the final look of the car we'll make it happen, the interior out of the blue car mainly just needs a good clean as its in great shape over all.
Here's some pics of the teardown in progress.........

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

chis

awesome!

the stripes are really cool
formerly mk1 gti
currently gti engineering mk2 which got ABF'd!
B5 S4
B5 RS4

M M

Can't wait to see this up and running.
Bought not built.

SOFTLAD

You might be interested in this. If not wanting to order a back issue I'll try to remember putting it in my car for next club meet
http://www.retrocarsmag.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=37

rambo_005

Awesome! Any engine plans yet?

Cool plate too 8)

RS ZWEI

Very cool Neil!
Do you have a time frame for this project?

John, you must be very busy, your own Mk4, the LV Mk2 and now this :)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

spooln

No time frame, happy to go for quality and cost at the expense of time.

Main thing this needs right now is striping and blasting so we can really see what's there and what's disintegrated and thus needs fixing. Johns advise is that will likely never be this stripped again, so focus for now is the body and paint. Post that planning and lists for the rest.

Visited today and must say the black interior (while much rougher) in the blue car is a much better color combination IMO. The tan and blue together was just odd looking so a win for both cars.

80 Vert

John, you must be very busy, your own Mk4, the LV Mk2 and now this :)
[/quote]

Don't forget the other 2 Scirocco's too  ;D
But its all good, LVDub's car will come together quickly now and we'll get the Rocco ready for blasting which isn't going to take much more dissasembly.

VeeDub

This is really cool to see and great that the other one is in good hands too. It's quite motivating having another couple of mk1s on the go at the same time! Are you going to keep it the same colour?

charles

Congrats on the score.
Good one for thinking outside the box on a combined bid.
Hope the seconder comes out sometime soon.
No doubt you will do the bodywork the justice it deserves, but what are you planning for the wheels?

spooln

I'm gong to keep it the original silver. Re wheels I have some mint BBS ra's that I think I'll use, but perhaps paint the centers black as silver on silver is a bit to much. Hopefully this will also stop me wasting to much time looking at wheels online. Probably still look though ha ha.

Have been storing half the interior today to keep it out of Verts way. Have to say that he has done an amazing job in cleanly removing everything. 40 year old clips all intact and some very thin trim in near perfect condition. Amazing.

Omes

Amazing indeed for a 40 year old car - I saw this in the flesh today along side the riviera blue one. Cant believe they had to cover up those original tartan trim seats. On the other hand your beige seats are in great cond for is age Neil!   

I'm sure this one will come out beautiful. I was also impressed how body sound the riviera blue one is for its age, a true great score for you both  8) the mk1 roccos are just beautiful cars. So interesting to hear from Vert how they have quite a few common parts donored from the beetle.

In this months current issue of PVW (and same as Softy has put up too) there is a bronze-gold mk1 rocco and a riviera blue one, both with original interiors and re-sprayed in their orig paint colour, one with it's orig 8v but webber carbed, the other with a 1.8t conv. Have a look if you get a mo, plus running BBS RM's.

MK1 Rocco respect.  8)
'77 MK1 Golf GTI - Current restoration project

'89 MK2 Golf GTI 8V - Fully restored

'97 MK3 Golf VR6 Highline - Supercharged

'06 MK5 Golf GTI DSG - Family daily duties

Filx

Looking forward to this one Spooln. Should be a ripper!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

80 Vert

Quote from: Omes on March 05, 2011, 06:51:11 PM
Amazing indeed for a 40 year old car - I saw this in the flesh today along side the riviera blue one. Cant believe they had to cover up those original tartan trim seats. On the other hand your beige seats are in great cond for is age Neil!   

I'm sure this one will come out beautiful. I was also impressed how body sound the riviera blue one is for its age, a true great score for you both  8) the mk1 roccos are just beautiful cars. So interesting to hear from Vert how they have quite a few common parts donored from the beetle.

In this months current issue of PVW (and same as Softy has put up too) there is a bronze-gold mk1 rocco and a riviera blue one, both with original interiors and re-sprayed in their orig paint colour, one with it's orig 8v but webber carbed, the other with a 1.8t conv. Have a look if you get a mo, plus running BBS RM's.

MK1 Rocco respect.  8)

Very true Omes, both Paul and commented on the use of so many Beetle parts on these cars.
You can see just by looking at the car VW was really getting on to something completely new yet still had a lot of connection to the past.
Quite a few parts are actually date stamped 77 which at that time Beetle's were still being built in Germany.
So we figured it to be a 78 produced car and sold new in 79.