Polo 77TSI problems- share your experience

Started by soulighter, March 18, 2011, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulighter

Hi all, this is my first post here, so here goes...

I've got my first VW polo brand new last year, Dec 2010. It's a 77 TSI and i'm absolutely enjoying it, except for 2 issues so I'm interested if others are having same issues..

1) when accelerating and in 3rd and 4th gears, the engine seems to have an extra noise, hard to describe the noise, probably "whiny" in a way and only when it's in 3rd and 4th, and when decelerating into those as well. Engine performs well, the extra noise is not loud but definitely noticeable but the it annoys me. Don't think it's turbo, as I've tried a Golf with the same 77TSI engine and it hasn't got the same noise

2) cabin wind noise on motorway- I've had problem this "whistling" noise coming from front passenger side starting at around 90km/hr and it didn't seem to happen all the time. Brought it back to VW on North Shore and had it adjusted but now all the noise including motorway cruise noise just seem to be louder all the time, even though it doesn't "whistle" anymore. Brought it back again and drove it with a technician who claimed it was normal which I thought it's unusual- it's significantly louder than a 2010 corolla i rented over xmas/ new year and the golf 77TSI (which was absolutely quiet on the motorway).

Can someone comment on the above?

Also, share your experience with the new Polo, both good and bad. Thanks.

SpikeyLemon

My current car is a Polo Bluemotion. I had about half a day driving a loaner 2010 Polo TSI around, nice car. Quite quiet, well planted in corners and good looking.

The TSI is a bit thirsty though, I've got 10.2L/100km according to the computer but it's 85% Auckland city traffic.

I am not sure if I am experiencing the same whining that you describe, I just put it down as "just another tone of engine noise". Wind noise wasn't bad but whistling could be from cross wind blowing across the car at a particular angle, which I get from many different cars from time to time.

80 Vert

Is 6.5l/100K all you are getting from your blue motion?
I was regularly getting 5.2L/100K from our 09 that we had last year.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

soulighter

Lemon, surprised that you did 10.2L/100km, but if you were in the city and got stuck in traffic then it's understandable. I've been watching the oil consumption meter and it surprises me how much more fuel is taken up in 1st and 2nd gear to get going.

Currently my TSI have done 3600km, and averaging about 7.4L/ 100Km overall. Most of the time driving around the city it will be low 8's and high 7's, if I get a good smooth run on motorway then it will get down to low 7s and mid 6s.

Still, the numbers are no where close to those being quoted on the spec sheet. The 2010 corolla sedan I rented over xmas/ new year averaged around mid 7s/ 100km for the 8000km it has done so it's on a par with the TSI, so I can't help but feel misled by the polo spec sheet... of course it's not all about the fuel consumption when you buy a car (even though it will always play a major part in my car purchase decisions, all else being equal).

Nonetheless, still like the TSI, apart from the slow response 1st gear, it's very nippy and always have plenty of oomph even with 4 people in the car.

Didn't try the bluemotion Polo as it didn't cross my mind to buy a diesel running car, but in the future may consider it as other major europeans (BMW, Audi, and European SUVs in general) seem to have a big range on diesel engines, I wonder about the quality of the ride and engine noise, and very intrigue by the enormous amount torque available from such engines.

Eurotrash

Love diesels, hate being ripped off by the government. $417 rego, and now nearly 5c a km RUCs. What a joke!