UrS4 AAN head needed urgently

Started by volcanoblack, March 22, 2011, 11:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volcanoblack

I have just received word that the head of my '94 S4 is cracked and is soft and not repairable - so need to find a replacement as soon as possible. Or else the car does not get fixed and goes to the wrecking yard which would be a shame since I love it.

Anyone have a used AAN head or know of one. Please contact me immediately.

Thanks all.

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

spooln

Yes id jump on that. That engine is pretty thin on the ground in NZ.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

volcanoblack

00quattro00

Quote from: volcanoblack on March 22, 2011, 11:02:57 AM
I have just received word that the head of my '94 S4 is cracked and is soft and not repairable - so need to find a replacement as soon as possible. Or else the car does not get fixed and goes to the wrecking yard which would be a shame since I love it.

Anyone have a used AAN head or know of one. Please contact me immediately.

Thanks all.

How many ks and how hard did you cook it?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

volcanoblack

Quote from: 00basil00 on March 22, 2011, 06:27:42 PM
How many ks and how hard did you cook it?

Car has 220,000km and I did not think that it was that bad. I noticed the temp gauge was reading higher than normal and drove1-2 km at 25 kph on a dirt road to a parking lot. No other warning lights. Had no problems with leaks or overheating before that.

00quattro00

Seems starnge, usually they can take a decent cook, is yours auto or manual?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

volcanoblack

volcanoblack

Still needing an AAN head.

The S6 from above did not work out.

volcanoblack

Quote from: robh on March 22, 2011, 11:01:37 AM
A whole pile of spares for you http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,22396.0.html

Thanks for the lead, but it didn't work out. Still need the AAN head.

00quattro00

Land Rover 110 4bd1t

volcanoblack

Quote from: 00basil00 on March 28, 2011, 10:40:57 PM
Interested in selling it?

I don't think I can sell it for what it is worth to me. Just got done doing the H&R springs and have been loving the car. What were you thinking? The car is in Dunedin and has the head off it at the dealer.

Flick me an email to:

irnstrw  at  yahoo  dot  com

Cheers,
vb

Angle

BB

So the head is off and been crack tested by pros and its cracked and soft for sure?
Because as Basil says they are not usually weak heads on VAG stuff and mostly can survive a cooking.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

volcanoblack

volcanoblack

Quote from: BB on March 29, 2011, 09:26:22 AM
So the head is off and been crack tested by pros and its cracked and soft for sure?
Because as Basil says they are not usually weak heads on VAG stuff and mostly can survive a cooking.
Yes, the head was checked by an independent repair service and it is cracked. The overall hardness is softer than what the repair shop considers acceptable to guarantee a good service life after repair.

user2154

Quote from: volcanoblack on March 29, 2011, 10:24:39 AM
Yes, the head was checked by an independent repair service and it is cracked. The overall hardness is softer than what the repair shop considers acceptable to guarantee a good service life after repair.

When you removed the head did you have a blown head gasket?

BB

Is the shop very familiar with vag stuff? It will be hard to find another so you may end up having to try with that head. The shop could be being fussy, many are.
It may be worth giving it a go but it is a lot of work I understand. And gaskets arnt cheap for those I wouldn't think.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

user2154

Gaskets are cheap enough, you can get them mail order from the states from 034motorsport.com, ecstuning.com, autohausaz.com (US$134.89), and many others. Not cheap in the terms of fords or mazdas though I guess... :)

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=zgyd2z451vdbtoz0qvs5hp45&makeid=800002@Audi&modelid=1009369@S4%20&year=1994&cid=20@Engine%20Parts,%20Seals%20%26%20Gaskets&gid=5416@Cylinder%20Head%20Gasket%20Set

The reason I asked about the head gasket is that if it is blown it is probably likely that the gasket was the source of the leak and not the head being cracked, as head cracking is pretty common but often does not travel all the way through on these heads, so I read.

If the head is not cracked right through it may be all good and repairable. My friend tells me that you may also be able to reuse a soft head as long as the cam journals etc are not warped.

The question is how hard did you cook it, and did you pour cold water into the coolant circuit while the engine was still hot, which is what apparently causes the softening (annulation), so I hear could be wrong.

qta4

Quote from: volcanoblack on March 28, 2011, 09:21:07 PM
Thanks for the lead, but it didn't work out. Still need the AAN head.

Can you say why ths lead died?
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.