UrS4 AAN head needed urgently

Started by volcanoblack, March 22, 2011, 11:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Prolly cause Scott wants to sell his whole motor for a good price seeing as thats the valuble part of that car.
I doubt this guy will find a head.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

qta4

I would have thought an AAN engine available at any time would be a god send.
Surely that if he bought that S6 and sold the rest, he would have made some money as well.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

OOOO

Quote from: qta4 on March 29, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
I would have thought an AAN engine available at any tome would be a god send.
Surely that if he bought that S6 and sold the rest, he would have made some money as well.

You would think Noel but maybe these engines are losing currency.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

00quattro00

Quote from: volcanoblack on March 28, 2011, 09:21:07 PM
Thanks for the lead, but it didn't work out. Still need the AAN head.

I cant beleive noone out bid me, If its un repairable you could probably sell parts off, id be keen on the engine
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

I think its a matter of trying to fix this engine for less than you can almost buy a new car for.
Im sure your car is a good deal Scott but cost must be a major decision in the fixing of this car obviously.

qta4

Quote from: OOOO on March 29, 2011, 08:22:11 PM
You would think Noel but maybe these engines are losing currency.

All i can say , is that this is a lost opportunity.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

00quattro00

They are just getting to age and price where they are good for people who can work on themselves
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

user2154

Any car that you blow a head on is going to cost you a couple of grand if you can't do the work yourself/know someone who can.

user2154

Quote from: 00basil00 on March 29, 2011, 08:23:36 PM
I cant beleive noone out bid me, If its un repairable you could probably sell parts off, id be keen on the engine

Sorry I did not win lotto and get to live the dream this week :)

volcanoblack

I made a long post with all the details - but it seems to have vanished on posting along with the temperature gauge photo to illustrate where my gauge read when the car overheated. So I am not going to go into all the details again.

Thanks for all your input, I am only going with what the head shop said and they were the shop recommended by the Audi dealer.

Regarding Scott's car - the short story is it would have cost me an additional $1300 to get the car shipped to Dunedin from Taupo - so added to the $1500 for the car made me want to investigate any alternatives such as on this forum. Scott's car was a good price and I would have done it if I were closer. He had it for sale on trademe and someone else bought it so I am glad for Scott.

BB

Good luck finding what you need Volcano.

00quattro00

Land Rover 110 4bd1t

volcanoblack

Quote from: 00basil00 on April 26, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
Whats happening with it?

I found a head at a wreckers in Auckland and have had it rebuilt - new valves, seats, cam chain, cam bores aligned, and decked the head. Now ready to reinstall and doing the timing belt, etc., up front. Waiting for some parts ex-Germany. Have Samco turbo hoses, breeze constant torque hose clamps, 710N diverter to go in too. Already did new thermostat and housing, coolant reservoir, after-run pump, and crank sensor. Looking to see if there is anything else that needs replacing while it is all apart. Any thoughts on things to look for that I have missed?

Expect to have it done by end of next week if I am lucky depending on when the parts get here. Also received four boxes today about 17" x 8". Wonder what they could be?

slowburn

that is a great result,well pleased for you!
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

00quattro00

Was it an aan head that you got?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

volcanoblack

RS ZWEI

Quote from: volcanoblack on April 27, 2011, 09:42:07 PM
I found a head at a wreckers in Auckland and have had it rebuilt - new valves, seats, cam chain, cam bores aligned, and decked the head. Now ready to reinstall and doing the timing belt, etc., up front. Waiting for some parts ex-Germany. Have Samco turbo hoses, breeze constant torque hose clamps, 710N diverter to go in too. Already did new thermostat and housing, coolant reservoir, after-run pump, and crank sensor. Looking to see if there is anything else that needs replacing while it is all apart. Any thoughts on things to look for that I have missed?

Expect to have it done by end of next week if I am lucky depending on when the parts get here. Also received four boxes today about 17" x 8". Wonder what they could be?

What wrecker did you use?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

volcanoblack

Euroline, which is the European/Audi division of Parts Connection in Auckland. Phone is 09 294 7635. I have worked with Simon and he is very good at customer service.

http://www.partsconnection.co.nz/shop/European.html

volcanoblack

Quote from: 00basil00 on April 27, 2011, 10:57:45 PM
Was it an aan head that you got?

I sent you a PM about the head but I can not see if they are going out or not - so here it is again.

The old head should be at the dealer and should be in the car when I pick the car up. That is the plan at the moment.

Cheers

user2154

If you do the TB, make sure you do the crank pulley/sprocket, they crack around the key that slots into the crankshaft. Make sure you use a 3/4 in drive torque wrench to do up the crank bolt, do not let any mechanic use an impact wrench. If you need torque specs you can find them in the AAN pdf available in you search quattroworld forums, or google. From memory it was 350 nm with no torque multiplier, but please do not take my word for it. You need the crank lock tool, or you need to fab something up.

"toothed belt pulley"

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/23002.phtml

------

You could think about doing the Viscous Fan pulley bearing while you are in there, info @ QW.

------

The serp belt tensioner bearing is available at Saeco NZ for about $25 bucks. You need a drill press to drill out the hardened steel rivets. I replaced mine with pop rivets rather than machine screws as in the pdf, I forget the size sorry. 6 months with no issues.

http://12v.org/urs/serp_tensioner_rebuild.pdf

-----

CPS (camshaft position sensor) available at Jaycar NZ for very cheap $25-$30, I have used this exact sensor from Jaycar for 6 months with an extremely bad soldering job with no issues. :D
But from what I have seen online, the only reason these go is because the plastic degrades over time and they break. If this happens you will not be able to start your car. In hind sight mine looks fine and probably did not need to be replaced at all.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/15337.phtml

http://picasaweb.google.com/persing/CamPositionSensorReplacement#

http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ZD1900&keywords=hall+sensor&form=KEYWORD

--------

You already know about the coolant hoses. Before xmas I changed 8 of my coolant hoses, and I have to say that the turbo return line (the short one up under the IM where it is easily neglected) was mushy goo when I took it off, it would not have lasted much longer.

Man I am really sorry for you that I did not post that info here 6 months ago.

--------

One more thing, if you haven't already, check the fuel line which comes from the fuel filter onto the solid piece of pipe that runs along the firewall. Just wiggle it around wheres the joins are, if it is leaking it will spray out fuel (when the fuel line is under pressure) so don't do this when the turbo is hot. A local hose shop was able to replace that bit for me.