MKV R32 lap time on Top Gear web site.

Started by mototm, December 28, 2005, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mototm

Quote from: 16vGTI on December 30, 2005, 09:23:26 AM
So you wouldn't bother with an R32 when you could have a Evo or STI WRX? They are both cheaper, more focused and a bit faster.

It's all a bit like comparing apple & oranges really.  Drove a mates STI WRX a few years ago (not sure of specifics but it was the 2 door one) and there was no way I wanted one.  Sure, it was really fast and great fun, but it was just like Jeremy Clarkson said, a "fiery one night stand".  There is no way I could have put up with that as a daily driver.  The R32, on the other hand, is just a car the really appeals to me - JC again " a long term companion" - something I can live with.

bsting

Agree, R32 is a goal to own one, one day....

Sti/Evos just dont give me the horn  ;D

Period_Correct_

Quote from: BSTING on December 30, 2005, 07:40:47 PM
Agree, R32 is a goal to own one, one day....

Sti/Evos just dont give me the horn  ;D

have you been in the evo 6 and up! theyre pretty quick!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

bsting

Evos have tiny fuel tanks, no range on them. I do like early Evos, but only because they are not Subby...

Hmm subby tubbys, one of the most stolen cars in nz.

Simon MkII

Yeah true, Evo's suck, all jappas do. I'd never want one, far too fast and economical and cheap too fix. Euro's all the way...

::)
Mazda Mx5

xring

I have just recently sold my MkV GTI (sob) to buy a house. Ended up getting a Mk IV V5 manual. But before deciding, I drove a 10,000km WRX (not STI). Absolutely no go below 3,500 rpm, but then all hell broke loose. Getting back into the GTI after I had driven the Sub made me realise just how good the GTI really is. From a rolling start (say in traffic) at lower revs the GTI would be long gone while the sub driver would be trying to find a lower gear to get some urge. As for build/material quality .... the sub is not in the race.

I don't like the grille of the new R32, but looks a lot better in silver because the alloy on the grille doesn't stand out so much. The big thing in favour of the R32 is the sound that it makes ...... incredible!!
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone