1985 Audi 200 relays, some advice wanted

Started by piha, December 30, 2005, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piha

Well i have got the 200 running - seems quite good, even been for a drive round the block!!
However had to bridge lots of things and disconnect some stuff.
Some questions, can anyone assist?

Relays, in the fuse box, there are 11 relay positions - how many should a fully functioning 200 have?
Currently, the only way to get fuel pump is too bridge out the relay, it's not connecting when the ignition goes on.

What about under the dash drivers side, I have five relay positions.
There are three in the upper line the middle one has a yellow female socket but no relay - should there be one, what's it for?

I don't have any headlights so I suspect a relay or two is missing.

Also if you have the warning check light on, does that disable the ability to start the engine? I have a Power steering leak so light could be related to that issue. 

When you first turn the ignition key, you get three short beeps, is this normal or some kinda warning?

Any help on would be appreciated.
Cheers

orggti

Yellow relay is for electric windows. Pop open fuel pump relay and check for broken solder joints. Beeps and warning lights could be low power steer fluid, top up with hydralic oil not ATF. also could be the brake accumulator (brake bomb under left hand engine mount) failed to reach proper pressure they all do this and cost $800 or more to replace.........pull off the wires just behind master cylynder to stop beep to get a WOF.......................good luck buddy you got a hell of a lot to learn yet if your stuck on these things.

Pushbutton_auto

Nah, not really.  Get yourself a Haynes and borrow a Bentley if u can, and put aside 2 weekends a month working on the car.     :)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

OOOO

Piha, I believe you misinterpreted orggti's comments. He has a lot of experience to offer on the 200's and has helped me out with two of mine and is only too happy to share that experience with others. Please PM him if you have some sort of beef...don't start the flaming and unsuitable language for all to see.

Scott - Admin
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

orggti

Hey thanks guys ;D Piha has PMed me and I have offered my experience, which is to tell him not to bother with wasteing his time on a 200 auto as It will just cause him too waste hundreds of hours and 100s of dollars UNLESS he knows for a fact that the auto trans is in very very good condition. I have told him if he really wants an old audi 200 to save his money and get hold of a quattro and keep his auto one as a parts car as it seems to have all the normal audi things not working. Sadly it seems he dosent want to listen to this and wants somebody else on this forum to say other wise, which isnt going to happen.
However I am sorry for getting a bit "Dad" on it and saying the part that did piss Piha off, fair enough, sorry.
I however do hope you do listen tho as these cars can cause huge disapointment. If you think "stuff this old prick, Ill show him" at least do as i say and get the thing running and through a WOF test to see what you need to get it legal before worrying about trim bits. Righto over and out.

orggti

this guy got totally Irate at my advice and spat the dummy and removed himself form the forum ??? I think he might have been a bit unstable?

Pristle

I read it too, and figured he'd already been warming up for the night................

OOOO

Pity he has decided to leave the forum. No matter what manner he may have tackled the topic it should still be a place that all feel welcome and safe to participate.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

orggti

I think it just pissed him off to have somebody be so negative about the 200 auto he wanted to fix up. I can understand in some ways, its not what you want to hear. But still I did spend many words trying to explain why. ???

Period_Correct_

Quote from: orggti on January 04, 2006, 04:26:04 PM
I think it just pissed him off to have somebody be so negative about the 200 auto he wanted to fix up. I can understand in some ways, its not what you want to hear. But still I did spend many words trying to explain why. ???

dont worry jem, his audi prolly gave him "timeout", he'll come back when he's ready to apologise!  ;D
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26