Suspension upgrade questions

Started by cml52, January 08, 2006, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cml52

Anyone find lowering their MacPherson Suspension on the quattro tends to make the tire's edges wear out even faster ?
Does the original wheel alignment spec able to keep the tire from rolling under and keep the full width of the tire on the ground?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: chch90Q on January 08, 2006, 10:45:36 PM
Anyone find lowering their MacPherson Suspension on the quattro tends to make the tire's edges wear out even faster ?
Does the original wheel alignment spec able to keep the tire from rolling under and keep the full width of the tire on the ground?

Which edge of the tyre has worn? The inside?
Do you have factory wheels?
How far have you lowered your car?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

cml52

i haven't lower the car yet.i just wanted to make sure lowering the car would not affect the suspension curve too much. and hopefully the tyre still in good contact with the ground.
once everything is clear, then i will order parts.

beeker

I have a QuattroGmbH kit installed in my rs4 making at 15mm lower than std. No problems for me. Ask Simon with his s2 and his H&R.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Mike

Your car looks like a B3/Type 89 90 - there was a factory lowered sport suspension option for these (Audi 90 20v Sport etc), and the (lower) suspension on Ur-q, S2 etc is substantially similar so it will be able to be lowered.

To ensure success and avoid the problems you outline, you should be safe by choosing reputable components anmd by not lowering by extreme amounts; if you lower by a max of 30 mm (20-25 preferred) it should not have adverse effects.  If you stay conservative the possibility of downsides will be much reduced.

Also remember that worn out bushes might mean that the wheel alignment is in spec when the car is stationary but will deflect under stress (cornering etc) as they won't be holding the wheel within spec when load is applied. The effect of this would be excessive tyre wear. If you are dismantling the suspension anyway, get all the 15 year old rubber bits replaced - it won't cost much more and you won't have odd creaks and knocks with your new lowered suspension which start 2 weeks after you put it all back together!

cml52

mike , again, thank you very much for your comment.

orggti

Audis and quattros in particular are pretty hard on tyres in general compared to other cars you might have owned. They can wear extreamly fast if you over drive them.

urq20v

A general rule is to always have your cars wheels realigned after fitting lowered suspension.Since the suspension on early quattros is McPherson strut front and rear,lowering will change the camber and toe.As Mike says,bush wear is also a consideration on older cars and should be checked.

John Stone

Quote from: orggti on January 09, 2006, 07:30:53 PM
Audis and quattros in particular are pretty hard on tyres in general compared to other cars you might have owned. They can wear extreamly fast if you over drive them.

I'd never do that, honest.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5