200tq fixes and mods

Started by orggti, January 04, 2006, 04:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orggti

what does his 200tq go like? look like?

Pristle

Looks cool. White with black leather interior.

I've yet to drive it, yet I've managed to work on it already. A little hose link sprung a leak. Following from the banjo on the side of the top coolant hose fitting on the head, there's a 3 inch bit of hose which needed replacing. I can't see where the the metal tube goes, but I suspect it's part of the watercooling for the turbo.

My son is very impressed with his purchase. He's now saving some money before he comes to talk you about other things. None of which he'll tell me about yet.

orggti

yes tell him ill fix it, and yes that is a hose for the turbo and its probly blocked as well as burst they all do that, you just fit a bigger bit of hose over the top of the whole thing. This is the car with A6 16inch mags and from hamilton on trademe just a while back? it looked good with shocks and springs too?

Pristle

Yes.  As for those hose, it hadn't burst so much, as cracked. The inside core of the hose had solidifed, whilst the still flexible outer has seperated. I think the leak occurred from the fact there was no movement. Nicked a bit of spare hose from his Nissan Laurel project, all seems good.

He has asked about tweaking the boost. He and his boy-racer buddies have had a crack, but they've come up short. Persoanlly.....I prefer it that way, why break a nice cruiser?

orggti

Tell him not to muck round with it with his boy racer mates till he gets his turbo plumbing sorted. Yes they do crack rather than burst and repairing like you did is fin but normally the steel hose part that runs under the cam cover gets blocked as well and you have to remove the whole thing and wave a blow torch over it. After all thats done, he will need to get his intercooler pressure tested as they leak all the time, then i will show him how to wind up the boost. he will need a boost gauge and also his ECU modded as it is connected to the turbo and shuts the fuel pump off if it goes over 6psi. Its not a car young boy racers should muck with.
Maybe we should move this over to the 200 section if we carry on chatting :)

OOOO

Jem is right that the engine needs to be working 100% as stock before mucking about with it. I think the ECU can take up to 9psi before needing a mod. This is all really top end stuff and I would recommend a smaller k24 turbo to really make a difference then look to up the boost if still needed as a 200 with 6psi on a k24 is not a bad package.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

Pristle

Thanks guys, valuable info.

He said he wanted it sorted before an upcoming Puke meet? Nah, don't think so. I think he'd be better off getting his 90Q sorted for that. He does have a 200T motor queued for that, just no loom or ECU at this point.

orggti

I just finished pulling out the loom for spinners turbo motor. im sure he woulnt mind lending it to you so you can copy it. Be a bit of a mission but that motor is nothing without it! I acctually have part of a loom as well in a 200 that i wreaked with a really stuffed motor. i just kept the head and turbo and part of he loom that was easy to get off and then cut. you can have it.

Pristle

Thanks Jem. Keen to look at that loom.

As for the Great White, it's parked on the side of the road. Fuel pumps are a pumping, sparks is a sparking...... nada. Won't run for more than a couple of turns. Sadly was running out of light and warmth (damn chilly for summer). Will have another crack at ir tomorrow. The problem is, I don't know how much fiddling these kids have done.

orggti

God I hate that. i have to fix a 90 quattro that this old guy just keeps on farting around with, it drives me insane, its his wifes and he refuses to buy any new parts he just bodges everything up and runs wires and hoses everywhere. you spend so much time trying to put things back how they were. If the cambelt and or dizzy timing is out they wont start as the ECU shuts them down. If you get really stuck you will have to tow it home and ill come over with my 200 and we can substitute parts if you want till we get it.

Pristle

As a follow up to the Great White. The car was towed home the following evening and was laid up until today. Mostly because the battery was pinched to get the 90q running so my son would have transport.

However, got the batteries sorted this arvo. In daylight I had Tim (my son) try and start her, she ran on longer than before, but still died, but with what sounded like a cough and wheeze. I got my head under the bonnet, was about to get my 'listening tube' close, had Tim turn her again, when I saw where the problem was. The injector seat on the front pot! It wasn't even biting onto it's thread! As the motor turned, the whole injector was bouncing free. Screwed it in finger tight, and hey presto. Will get up close and personal with it again tomorrow with the right tools.