Ipod Connection (via TomTom Cradle) for the RS4

Started by beeker, May 01, 2011, 08:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

I want to use my TomTom iphone cradle as my iPhone MP3 player in the RS4 B7.

As such, I assume I need an adapter for my Symphony head unit (assume no AUX on the back), and something which i can then plug into the side of the TomTom cradle (small round socket, AUX DIN?).

Firstly, can someone confirm the Symphony doesnt have a AUX IN at the back as standard, and if not, what adapters are recommended and ideally someone reliable and quality focused who can install it too.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

ranton-inc

Dad had a ipod Dock connector installed by Audi...

i know thats not what your after but basically they fitted a Factory cable that ends up in the glove box.. it charges and plays music thru the MMI (with playlists and song display) i know you wish to use the aux out on the cradle... just be aware you will more than likely get line noise when charging the phone and using a Digital out via the ipod cradle...

I am fairly certain audi can install a Aux port if your car doesn't already have one .. most should in the centre console...? I know the VW Tiguan does...

Albacol

I've got a Denison link thing installed in mine, iPod lives in the glovebox and has a USB and iPod connector on it. Works as CD5, no playlist or info data but plays on shuffle so works alright. I'd imagine you could hook it up to that. Not cheap, i warn you now.

Trofeo

Quote from: beeker on May 01, 2011, 08:51:18 PM
Actually, like this more (adds USB): http://cgi.ebay.com/GROM-USB-iPod-Bluetooth-AUX-adapter-VW-AUDI-VAGU2-/400212477920?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2e85c7e0
looks good to me. I have the grom ipod interface but it is the earlier version without the bluetooth. A friend is about to order one of these on order for his R32 so will let you know how he gets on.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

davebnz

Much the same need of recent.  Gave up on the Audi factory unit as no iPhone 4 support, limited iPod compatibility and expensive.  Then the Phone integration was another unit.

After some googling and reading a number of forums around the world, it came down to the Denison or the mobridge.  I settled on the mobrige simply because brilliant iphone and iPod integration with the MMI and no mods required, plus the phone section is based on the Parrot chip set (which is pretty darn good).  They have several units available depending on your needs.

http://www.mobridge.us/products/most-bluetooth-ipod-aux

Found the local agents ([email protected]) who put me in touch with a reputable installer here in Wgtn.

BDI_S4

That Mobridge unit looks quite good - I'd be tempted, but my S4 is a lowly old B6 and it seems they're not compatible.

I'm still waiting on the Zenec NC3140 - a full headunit replacement built to fit perfectly, with integrated satnav, bluetooth etc - hopefully it'll be out later this year - and hopefully it'll take NZ maps!

Albacol

Quote from: davebnz on May 02, 2011, 10:07:18 PM
I settled on the mobrige simply because brilliant iphone and iPod integration with the MMI and no mods required, plus the phone section is based on the Parrot chip set (which is pretty darn good).  They have several units available depending on your needs.

Does it do track display on the dash ? All i get is "iPod UI" via the Denison. When i searched high and low there wasn't anythying that could integrate (B7 RS4 with the Bose package)

davebnz

Yes it does do track display - both on the MMI display and on the dash display strip.  You can scroll through the track list with the steering wheel controls, select tracks, change volume etc.   You can set up the options that appear as 'CD1, CD2...' so you can specify the order where Podcasts, albums, songs, artists etc appear.  Obviously being an older MMI there is no album art.  With the new generation MMI with colour displays, I'm sure this will be an options for these type of interfaces.

Phone support is pretty good - recent calls, missed calls, address book all available on display or on the dash, again controlled via the MMI knob or the steering wheel.  Sound quality is surprisingly good for recipient and you.  One lacking item is if you have multiple address books, it only sees them as one combined long list.  Searchable, but perhaps not as convenient if you use multiple address books to rationalise your contacts list.

Of course it charges the device as well.  I have this set up with an iPhone 4 with bluetooth for the phone interface and the normal iPod dock connector for the audio side.

To really finish this off would be Nav for a reasonable price.  I think the $6k Audi want is a little over the top.

beeker

Quote from: davebnz on May 06, 2011, 12:07:09 PM
Yes it does do track display - both on the MMI display and on the dash display strip.  You can scroll through the track list with the steering wheel controls, select tracks, change volume etc.   You can set up the options that appear as 'CD1, CD2...' so you can specify the order where Podcasts, albums, songs, artists etc appear.  Obviously being an older MMI there is no album art.  With the new generation MMI with colour displays, I'm sure this will be an options for these type of interfaces.

Phone support is pretty good - recent calls, missed calls, address book all available on display or on the dash, again controlled via the MMI knob or the steering wheel.  Sound quality is surprisingly good for recipient and you.  One lacking item is if you have multiple address books, it only sees them as one combined long list.  Searchable, but perhaps not as convenient if you use multiple address books to rationalise your contacts list.

Of course it charges the device as well.  I have this set up with an iPhone 4 with bluetooth for the phone interface and the normal iPod dock connector for the audio side.

To really finish this off would be Nav for a reasonable price.  I think the $6k Audi want is a little over the top.

I thought only B8 was MMI ???
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

davebnz

Sorry for the confusion beeker, little off track/forum here, I'm driving a C6 allroad.