I broke a wheel.....

Started by Lunar7, January 07, 2006, 11:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunar7

Going home from Napier of Friday morning at about 9.30, clipped a pothole on the side of the road at the top of a long climb about 50K north, just past the Pub  Was travelling at the speed limit, as you get to the top of the climb the road sweeps left and there is a gravelled area on the left.  As you come in to the corner you tend to stay towards the inside as you can't see what's coming up the hill in the other direction.  Right on the line about a foot into the seal is a pot hole....

The rim bent then split the right around into 2 parts.  Luck the was a run off area as this could have gotten very scary.  Put the space saver on, but after that sort of hit wasn't keen to drive the 50K back to Napier.  Called insurance company, the got the car piked up on a flat deck and took us back to EuroCity.  Insurance company has provided a rental so we finally got home at about 6pm.

The car is now going to be shipped back to Auckland for assessment and repair.  Apart from the rim & tire is there antthing else i should be worried about and get checked ?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Lunar7 on January 07, 2006, 11:43:40 PM
Going home from Napier of Friday morning at about 9.30, clipped a pothole on the side of the road at the top of a long climb about 50K north, just past the Pub  Was travelling at the speed limit, as you get to the top of the climb the road sweeps left and there is a gravelled area on the left.  As you come in to the corner you tend to stay towards the inside as you can't see what's coming up the hill in the other direction.  Right on the line about a foot into the seal is a pot hole....

The rim bent then split the right around into 2 parts.  Luck the was a run off area as this could have gotten very scary.  Put the space saver on, but after that sort of hit wasn't keen to drive the 50K back to Napier.  Called insurance company, the got the car piked up on a flat deck and took us back to EuroCity.  Insurance company has provided a rental so we finally got home at about 6pm.

The car is now going to be shipped back to Auckland for assessment and repair.  Apart from the rim & tire is there antthing else i should be worried about and get checked ?

Lunar7, the same thing happened to my Aunty in her Opel Manta about 10 years ago here in HB, she was meant to be meeting family (myself included) out at a beach. She went round left hand corner just out passed the Mill and hit a pothole with her 2 inside wheels, killing both of them and also punching the strut up though the bonnet! At the time my Aunty was working for a Napier Law Firm. They went after the Ministry of Transport and in the end the Ministry of Transport payed out for all repairs.
Did you take any pic of the hole you hit by chance? How do you feel about Solicitor involved?

Other parts I think you should check? The whole left hand side suspension, bushes, top mounts, struts, also the wheel alignment will have to be checked.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Pristle

Good reply Nik. Potholes and un-avoidable road surfaces (I'm referring to tar-seal, not gravel/metal) have been a bone of contention for a long time with me.

I'd insist on getting everything checked as Nik says, back and front.

As for getting a solicitor involved, talk it over with the insurance company, they should deal with it. They're involved already.

Audidude

Similar thing happened to me between Ohakune and National Park when my son hit pothole and bent rim deflating tyre. Wheel was repairable and no suspension damage/misalignment (Audi strength  ;) - ask the RS4 guys about their OEM wheels!).

We struck another problem when my son inadvertently pushed the car forward off the jack trying to get the oversize wheel into the wheel well! Car dropped onto the front disc saving any body damage but couldn't get jack under without excavating a hole. As punishment he had to drive all the way back to Hamilton on the space saver when he had really been looking forward to the drive home  ::)

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Lunar7

Car is now back at Giltraps...

Now waiting for the assesment

bsting

RuotoCompany mags do clone copys of S3/S4 RS4/6 wheels.
Any good mag shop can stock them....

veedubtom

Potholes are not cool, bent a wheel on the Corrado bad enough so it didnt hold air :(

RS ZWEI

Any updates with your car Lunar7?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Lunar7

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on January 13, 2006, 10:27:51 PM
Any updates with your car Lunar7?

it's sitting at Giltraps waiting for parts....

The are replacing one wheel and tyre, repairing 2 wheels and have checked for any damage.

should get it back next Friday after they have got the repaired wheels back and done an alignment.

Lunar7

Car Back on the road, Still has to go back for some panel work & an adjuctment to the sterring