'99 Mk4 Gti (Auto) stalls, runs cold.

Started by MW, May 01, 2011, 10:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Hey,

New to the forums..

My '99 Mk4 Gti (Auto) has recently started to stall at intersections etc, and runs pretty cold- well below the 90 degrees even on long drives.

Word is that it could possibly be a vacuum leak? Any tips out there on discovering where the leak could be?

Cheer!!
'89 BMW e30 Touring 325i
'81 mk1 Golf GLS - gone.

BB

Thermostat stuck open and the plugs are now fouling up.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Fizz

Hi, was the temp sensor ever replaced on the car? I know mine used to take a while to heat up to 90 and it was only when I replaced it that I realised that it was in fact stuffed as the new one climbed to 90 so much quicker.
The other thing is remove the throttle body and give it a good clean also clean the sensor that sits just behind the throttle body. If car is still stalling and idles erratically then it could be your MAF, quick test would be to disconnect the connector that's connected to the MAF, if car runs smoother and no stalling then the MAF needs replacing. Be aware that the car will run in limp mode ie. not make more than 5psi and run sluggish with MAF disconnected, but really this is only to test that idling is smoother and no more stalling.
Use soapy water and rub it on the hoses to see if any start bubbling. Also check the hose connectors to ensure they firmly tightened, if it's a big leak u'll hear the hissing from the engine bay.
Being a 99 I'm not sure if u still have the original Diverter valve and boost/ vac lines. Maybe a good idea to replace them anyway if they still the original pipes and DV as they'll be overdue for replacement and may infact be the cause of the leak if you do have one.

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?