Console lights

Started by Wolf_, June 05, 2011, 02:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf_

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can clarify something for me. When i turn my lights on I obviously get some back lighting on my dash board, but there doesnt seem to be any back lighting for my Fan, Heater temperature, vent selection controls below my stereo. Is this normal? Also is the gear selector for an automatic ( :-[ ) meant to light up as well?

I dont really want to go removing facings in search for a light bulb if you guys can give me an easy answer  ;D

Cheers!

rambo_005

The HVAC controls should light up, not sure about the auto shifter though.

coons

Yea pretty sure the auto lights are meant to light up too

The heater controls are all lit by one little globe at the back, pretty simple to change

Use a flathead to pry off the face panel to the heater controls, undo the 4 screws now visible, plus there is one in the ash tray (could be a 6th somewhere down near the ashtray as well, can't recall!
Pull the whole unit out, and from memory the little light bulb should be almost staring you in the face, take it down to Repco and get a replacement for like $1.50

Job done!
If you Google you will prob find a how to with pictures

kitty

Hi! Yes my bulb is out uder the auto slider.
I took to a sparky and he seems to think it is 'complicated'!! He says he cant simply pull the bulb out, it is more of a bulb/housing????!!???
I dont know so will keep an eye on your post!!

blackbetty

I will double check on mine but I'm pretty sure the auto light is just a bulb in a holder.

Simply pop off the cover, you will need go remove the top of the shifter too, and the bulb is in a green plastic house to the right of the shift. 10min job ( plus the time to find a replacement bulb)
'93 Vr6 Golf Donor
'94 Vr6 Golf
'88 3dr Golf
'90 Honda Civic Pro -- RIP
'74 Series 3 SWB Land Rover -- Sold
'73 MK3 Ford Cortina

Wolf_

Hey thanks guys.

Found a picture guide for replacing the heater control light  :D (in case anyone else wanted to know)

http://www.scottishvag.net/viewtopic.php?p=324516

I'll keep looking for the auto slider.

Thanks again guys!

Wolf_

All done.

Getting to the bulb behind the heater controls was a bit of a mission but all good. Replaced with with another 12v 1.2W bulb. I have to say i'm a little disappointed with the brightness but will do for now.

Thanks for the help guys

coons

Yea even with the globe the light on the heater controls is pretty average. Have never been fussed enough to look into making it brighter though

Simon MkII

The auto slider bulb is sold complete with it's housing, from memory the bulb is soldered straight to the connector.
Mazda Mx5

blackbetty

yeah when I went back thats what I found.

You should be able to buy one though
'93 Vr6 Golf Donor
'94 Vr6 Golf
'88 3dr Golf
'90 Honda Civic Pro -- RIP
'74 Series 3 SWB Land Rover -- Sold
'73 MK3 Ford Cortina