play in top blocks/mounts

Started by nzpablo, January 18, 2005, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzpablo

I'm an Audi novice.

Each time the Audi 90 goes in for its WOF the guys scratch their heads over the top mounts. They move around a lot. Contonental Cars have assured me they are supposed to. Is this right? The guys passed it anyway. I had one replaced 6 months ago before they would though.

I thought VASK would have the definitive answer on it though. So, design feature OR unacceptable play?

Mike

Hmmm, when my top mounts had a lot of play the handling was distinctly weird.

Do they mean when the car is on its wheels or up on a hoist?

nzpablo

up on the jacks, with the crow bar levering the wheel up and down. Sometimes when driving over a pothole I hear the front end knock but other than that the handling is fine AFAIK.

orggti

Yes I waited for Rex to answer. Yes they always move up and down as Rex says its crude how they just sit in place with a washer to stop it all falling out when you juck them up and down. However you can still get play in the bearing which is a WOF issue but most inspectors wont know what there looking for and will fail them for the wrong reason. See Rexs post regarding the upper replacement bushes he has in the for sale section.

nzpablo

Here we go again. 6 months later. WOF time. Failed again on play in top blocks. The same ones I have already replaced. These guys cant seem to get their heads around it. I suppose I should check the bearings but I think its just that play that confuses the inspectors every time.

???

orggti

If i still had a 90 id do those mounts in a flash.
I got caught out the other day tho when doing a mk3 golf gti for frans daughter. It was the same system pretty much but when i metioned it to qualitat they said no its the mount tops and sold me two new ones for about $39 each When i pulled the old ones out they looked fine but the steel disc imbedded into the rubber gets forced upwards and the shocks end up being slightly shorter so then they rattle around. Its true, i fitted the new ones and with the car jacked up it was fine no knocking and good for a thrash around the block. Nice car but probly was slower than my mk1 and you can cook the brakes in minutes on hills. Heavy.