OEM Stereo Units

Started by Rusty05, January 18, 2006, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty05

My '97 A4 1.8TQ is ex Japan and the OEM stereo is a stacker controller. Never came with a stacker so i am looking for one. Trouble is, apart from the Audi branding, I cannot find who manufactured the stereo (to buy a corresponding stacker). I can't even get the thing out of the dash! I am also not sure if there is an existing controller cable through to the boot. Certainly can't find any sign of a plug in the boot. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.  :-\ :laugh:

1.8t

I know the one I got out of a passat, which im still yet to put in my car is a clarion.

It must some on it somewhere surely?

I dobt there would be a controler, they usually come with the stacker itself.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

timmay

The ones from MKIV Golfs are Sony (well for ex Jap imports anyway).
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

tempq18t

Rusty, if you can figure out what make it is I have a friend with a stacker from a Jap import Passat that is for sale. Finding out what type tonight.
If need be I can grab it and you can check if it plugs to your system somehow.
PM me your mobile and I will buzz you with some info

Mike

rambo_005

My Mother's A4 has the factory radio/cassette head unit, I have just got her a Blaupunkt CD/radio for it and I was wondering if there is some kind of plate you can get to fill around it as the factory head unit is larger than the standard DIN size...

Anyone?

uero-jet

yea my mum has a 97 vento with a blaupunkt stacker and im sure it came stock with it...

Audidude

Have a Concert II unit in my new DTM A4.
Anyone added an ipod input lead to these? Is it do-able?

That's one thing BMW do better!!

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Rusty05

Quote from: tempq18t on January 18, 2006, 03:13:25 PM
Rusty, if you can figure out what make it is I have a friend with a stacker from a Jap import Passat that is for sale. Finding out what type tonight.
If need be I can grab it and you can check if it plugs to your system somehow.
PM me your mobile and I will buzz you with some info

Mike

Thanks Mike. I will try and get the bl**dy thing out first, otherwise it's all a bit academic...

Rusty05

Quote from: Audidude on January 19, 2006, 04:38:54 AM
Have a Concert II unit in my new DTM A4.
Anyone added an ipod input lead to these? Is it do-able?

That's one thing BMW do better!!

Cheers

Dont know if this is any help to you, but i have seen little FM transmitters on trademe that plug into your ipod. Just tune your stereo into the corresponding frequency and presto...

Audidude

Yea I have one of those but the quality is awful and on a trip you need to keep changing frequency as stations appear close to the one you are using.
Cheers

Turbo

Quote from: Audidude on January 19, 2006, 08:50:24 AM
Yea I have one of those but the quality is awful and on a trip you need to keep changing frequency as stations appear close to the one you are using.
Cheers

there's a thing called ice link plus, but it means you won't have a stacker. it basically treats your ipod as the stacker so you can operate it with the stereo controls.
there's also ice link lite, which is an fm modulator that is plugged directly into the aerial port of the stereo so little chance of interference.

http://www.dension.com/icelink.htm
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

tempq18t

Quote from: rambo_005 on January 18, 2006, 10:50:08 PM
My Mother's A4 has the factory radio/cassette head unit, I have just got her a Blaupunkt CD/radio for it and I was wondering if there is some kind of plate you can get to fill around it as the factory head unit is larger than the standard DIN size...

Anyone?
Yeah, Driving Sound have them, saw them a couple of weeks ago, my Audi has one of the filler plates in it. Be careful putting it in though, mine has the mount points broken so it sits too deep into the dash and looks silly

Audidude

Quote from: Turbo NotLo on January 19, 2006, 09:58:52 AM
there's a thing called ice link plus, but it means you won't have a stacker. it basically treats your ipod as the stacker so you can operate it with the stereo controls.
http://www.dension.com/icelink.htm

Thanks!! Don't have a stacker and don't want one so this looks the business. Have emailed them to find out how to get one.

Cheers

Period_Correct_

PM PacificShack, he's got a top of the line Alpine head unit, and his iPOD works really well!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

dimistyle

Quote from: Rusty05 on January 18, 2006, 01:09:51 PM
My '97 A4 1.8TQ is ex Japan and the OEM stereo is a stacker controller. Never came with a stacker so i am looking for one. Trouble is, apart from the Audi branding, I cannot find who manufactured the stereo (to buy a corresponding stacker). I can't even get the thing out of the dash! I am also not sure if there is an existing controller cable through to the boot. Certainly can't find any sign of a plug in the boot. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.  :-\ :laugh:

Dude you need to remove the unit from the dash to check the manufacturer, Passat 98 - had Sony with Blau looking faceplates :P, To remove these there are two slots on the face plate, cut up a credit card or bend a paper clip so that you have a very long reach but needs to be the width of the slot, either unclip each side separately or one at a time and presto.

I tossed my unit out and replaced it with a Panasonic, Blue screen with red buttons and 10 disk stacker. This way I didn't need a band expander. Beware that the VAG cars have antenna amplifiers in the wagon, not sure about the sedan. These need to be powered to get the best reception.

KiwiC4S

Quote from: Audidude on January 19, 2006, 10:49:15 AM
Thanks!! Don't have a stacker and don't want one so this looks the business. Have emailed them to find out how to get one.

Cheers

I have the iceLink plus installed in my '02 A4 (also couldn't find an aftermarket changer to go with the OEM unit) and its great. Unfortunately DensionUSA won't ship to NZ so I had to get it shipped to a friend in the US who couriered it down. Easy installation once the OEM unit is popped out.
'06 997 Carrera 4S

Rusty05

Quote from: dimistyle on January 19, 2006, 04:32:14 PM
Dude you need to remove the unit from the dash to check the manufacturer, Passat 98 - had Sony with Blau looking faceplates :P, To remove these there are two slots on the face plate, cut up a credit card or bend a paper clip so that you have a very long reach but needs to be the width of the slot, either unclip each side separately or one at a time and presto.

I tossed my unit out and replaced it with a Panasonic, Blue screen with red buttons and 10 disk stacker. This way I didn't need a band expander. Beware that the VAG cars have antenna amplifiers in the wagon, not sure about the sedan. These need to be powered to get the best reception.

Cheers, my radio definitely has the slots in the front so I will give that a go. Think I might cut up the credit card as you suggested.  :D

Audidude

Quote from: OYSTR on January 19, 2006, 05:15:51 PM
I have the iceLink plus installed in my '02 A4 (also couldn't find an aftermarket changer to go with the OEM unit) and its great. Unfortunately DensionUSA won't ship to NZ so I had to get it shipped to a friend in the US who couriered it down. Easy installation once the OEM unit is popped out.

There is a Dension supplier in OZ, am awaiting reply to email. There is a dealer adapter available for VW and I think Audi, which will probably be similar price, but does not include a mounting bracket - the Ipod is left in the glovebox. Personally I prefer this solution as I don't want an ugly adapter sticking out from the dash.

Cheers

rambo_005

Quote from: tempq18t on January 19, 2006, 10:31:35 AM
Yeah, Driving Sound have them, saw them a couple of weeks ago, my Audi has one of the filler plates in it. Be careful putting it in though, mine has the mount points broken so it sits too deep into the dash and looks silly

Cheers mate.

Audidude

Here's some info on the Audi OEM iPod adapter unit:
http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1419098.phtml

And here's some info on the Dension - some have obviously had some serious issues with this unit:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/09/dension_ice-link_review

Cheers