Upgrades etc

Started by Lunar7, January 19, 2006, 02:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunar7

Hi,

I'm Planing a few upgrades to my S3, has anyone got any ideas/ recommendations on the following

Remap - Currently evaluating the REVO
Hoses - Samco ?
Exhaust - Milltech (2nd hand)
Diverter valve - Do I need it, don't want any boy racer type wooshing sounds

hitmanGTI

Diverter Valve yes...

No wooshy sounds will occour as long as u dont put a big ugly noisy pod filter on..

just get a K&N Panel Filter.. any Good Diverter Valve Piston or Digphram (digphram is quicker)

Samco Hoses.. (will be ordering some if i dont sell the car!)

and yer

VB

Sounds all good. I definitely need the hoses done and I have priced the exhaust but need to save for it. The panel filter also sounds good but to be honest I would like to improve the handling without taking too much out of the ride height. Bigger brakes would be nice too but no doubt expensive.

The remap will make a huge difference. The exhaust can be done after you remap the car.

eddyg

I'd go for the Revo and Samco tunes at the same time.

And then depending on finances do the suspension (coil overs) and preX haldex controller

The panel filter doesn't give you much, but on the other hand is cheap, so if you have some spare cash go for it.

I wouldn't bother with a new diverter, don't see a problem with the stock one.

The biggest impacts are in order:

1) Chip
2) Suspension
3) Exhaust
4) preX second generation Haldex controller

(2-4 are all pretty close)

You'd be surprised at how much different the car handles with the second generation haldex controller. It totally changes the feel of the car when you floor the accelerator coming off the apex. The car just hunkers and flys, no understeer. The suspension helps with this as well by getting rid of the body roll.

Cheers, Ed.

R32 Simon

I agree with Eddy, my wife?s S3 has AMD one click, Miltek, Samco hoses you may also want to think about a cat replacement pipe, there are pros and cons but I think it made a difference.

beeker

Quote from: R32 Simon on January 22, 2006, 04:48:48 PM
I agree with Eddy, my wife?s S3 has AMD one click, Miltek, Samco hoses you may also want to think about a cat replacement pipe, there are pros and cons but I think it made a difference.

How is that R32 project going ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

tempq18t

I know a guy that does Samco equivalents if anyone is interested. Happy to do a query on costs for anyone

Change that, if anyone is interested ring Chris from Strada Corsa Imports 021388048 and he will help you out. He is happy to try and help

hitmanGTI

Quote from: tempq18t on January 22, 2006, 09:43:09 PM
I know a guy that does Samco equivalents if anyone is interested. Happy to do a query on costs for anyone

yes please!!!!!!! blue hoses for meeeee!

Audi-man

Quote from: eddyg on January 21, 2006, 02:00:46 PM
The biggest impacts are in order:

1) Chip
2) Suspension
3) Exhaust
4) preX second generation Haldex controller

(2-4 are all pretty close)

You'd be surprised at how much different the car handles with the second generation haldex controller. It totally changes the feel of the car when you floor the accelerator coming off the apex. The car just hunkers and flys, no understeer. The suspension helps with this as well by getting rid of the body roll.

For the mechanically challenged: preX second generation Haldex controller - what is this? How does it work? and can B5 1.8T's benefit from this / a similar upgrades?

Turbo

Quote from: Audi-man on January 23, 2006, 04:22:44 PM
For the mechanically challenged: preX second generation Haldex controller - what is this? How does it work? and can B5 1.8T's benefit from this / a similar upgrades?

i could be wrong, but haldex controllers are to make the torque split 50/50 (or less front wheel drive biased) between the front and rear axles of quattros with transversely mounted engines (ie S3) which are normally front wheel drive until something happens and a portion of the power shifts to the rear.

B5 A4s use the torsen quattro system instead, which is already 50/50.

something like that. i only recently found out about them too.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

eddyg

Quote from: Audi-man on January 23, 2006, 04:22:44 PM

S3's and Quattro A3's + R32 + TTQ all use a Haldex diff attached to the rear diff. The Haldex diff controls how much torque goes to the rear wheels.

The Haldex on all shipping cars bases its decision on how much to split based on the wheel slip between the front and rear wheels. It then moves some of the torque to the rear wheels. This system is OK, but can cause some instability if it kicks in mid corner.

The Haldex company created a new Haldex controller that is more intelligent. It is a plug in replacement for the existing haldex controller (Just a different colour). The new controller monitors more than just the wheel slip from the ABS. It now also monitors the throttle position. There is a delay between throttle position changing and the torque arriving, so if the clutch operates based on the throttle position in addition to the wheel slip it can then can then engage the rear wheels before the slip actually occurs. This leads to a more stable and faster car.

See the following tech article from Haldex:

http://www.haldex-traction.com/technical_information/performance_info/torque_transfer_characteristics.htm#

So basically this makes your car feel totally different in some situations. Of most note is the fact that you get all wheel drive when flooring it out of corners even though you have no wheel slip (yet). This means that the car is already tracking better avoiding the wheel slip in the first place.

Cheers, Ed.

Turbo

Quote from: eddyg on January 23, 2006, 05:20:58 PM
S3's and Quattro A3's + R32 + TTQ all use a Haldex diff attached to the rear diff. The Haldex diff controls how much torque goes to the rear wheels.

The Haldex on all shipping cars bases its decision on how much to split based on the wheel slip between the front and rear wheels. It then moves some of the torque to the rear wheels. This system is OK, but can cause some instability if it kicks in mid corner.

The Haldex company created a new Haldex controller that is more intelligent. It is a plug in replacement for the existing haldex controller (Just a different colour). The new controller monitors more than just the wheel slip from the ABS. It now also monitors the throttle position. There is a delay between throttle position changing and the torque arriving, so if the clutch operates based on the throttle position in addition to the wheel slip and can predict when to engage the rear wheels before the slip actually occurs.

See the following tech article from Haldex:

http://www.haldex-traction.com/technical_information/performance_info/torque_transfer_characteristics.htm#

So basically this makes your car feel totally different in some situations. Of most note is the fact that you get all wheel drive when flooring it out of corners even though you have no wheel slip (yet). This means that the car is already tracking better avoiding the wheel slip in the first place.

Cheers, Ed.

yeah, or what he said.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

eddyg

BTW. An important modification that I had to make to my car in order to handle dirt roads in NZ was a skid pan under the engine. I had a quarter inch aluminium one fabricated locally. Its got plenty of dents and grooves in it to prove that it is doing its job.

Before I had the pan I had the oil sensor cable knocked off by a stone (why it is sticking out under the sump god only knows). Which was most disturbing given that I suddenly had the engine and oil lights come on in a big way in the middle of nowhere, with the car screaming that I'd better stop right now or else.

Cheers, Ed.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: eddyg on January 23, 2006, 07:05:31 PM
BTW. An important modification that I had to make to my car in order to handle dirt roads in NZ was a skid pan under the engine. I had a quarter inch aluminium one fabricated locally. Its got plenty of dents and grooves in it to prove that it is doing its job.

Before I had the pan I had the oil sensor cable knocked off by a stone (why it is sticking out under the sump god only knows). Which was most disturbing given that I suddenly had the engine and oil lights come on in a big way in the middle of nowhere, with the car screaming that I'd better stop right now or else.

Cheers, Ed.
Who made ur skid pan...

i need one.. ask anyone at CCS who has seen my cars underbody..

eddyg

Quote from: HitmanGTI on January 23, 2006, 08:40:12 PM
Who made ur skid pan...

i need one.. ask anyone at CCS who has seen my cars underbody..

I got Autotek in Christchurch to do it for me, they have a fabricator who does their racing cars. They will probably still have the measurements and know what fastners to use (it took a bit of trial and error to find the right type that would stay on).

http://www.autotek.co.nz/

Cheers, Ed.

eddyg

Quote from: eddyg on January 23, 2006, 09:54:29 PM
I got Autotek in Christchurch to do it for me, they have a fabricator who does their racing cars. They will probably still have the measurements and know what fastners to use (it took a bit of trial and error to find the right type that would stay on).

http://www.autotek.co.nz/

Cheers, Ed.

oops you're a golf - could be tricky, they'll need a car to measure it up on

veedubtom

S3 is golf platform, should be similiar

hitmanGTI

Quote from: EVL 28K on January 23, 2006, 11:06:42 PM
S3 is golf platform, should be similiar

They all run on the A4 Chassis (not the actuall Audi A4 Chassis just the model type of Chassis)

veedubtom

I think its technical name is PQ35, someone correct me if im wrong, Neil?

hitmanGTI

Quote from: EVL 28K on January 24, 2006, 08:39:36 AM
I think its technical name is PQ35, someone correct me if im wrong, Neil?

some crap like that...

the Latin name for the Golf Chassis..

Expenisve Wheel Barrow