Question about my auto transmission

Started by Wolf_, July 13, 2011, 09:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf_

Hi

I've noticed it for the third time now that sometimes the transmission will 'disengage' or slip near the beginning of a drive. Tonight when i was pulling out of my driveway as i came to a stop, then attempted to pull out, there was not response when i pressed the accelerator. After giving it a bit more juice the gear seems to snatch back into life. It kind of feels like when the car is in neutral. Once, the car started to roll back until i gave it a bit more juice. Should I be worried about this?

Seems like it could be a gear selection problem or something. I've never had this problem other than in the beginning of a journey.

Cheers guys.

Andy_007

I had a problem like this but when the trans was warm.It happened 2 times within a couple days, It was pretty worrying since it has 235k km on it. Had the fluid and filter changed. I have put 3,500km on the car since, hasn't done it again.
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

80 Vert

Yep sounds like low fluid to me, get it serviced.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Wolf_

Do you know a good place around central auckland for this? How much we looking at?

Cheers

80 Vert

The only place to go is auckland automatics, around $250?
These boxes should be serviced every 20-30,000km and most of them have never been done!

Andy_007

Quote from: Wolf_ on July 13, 2011, 10:36:43 PM
Do you know a good place around central auckland for this? How much we looking at?

Cheers
It cost me just over $100 for 4 liters of ATF, filter and labor
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

80 Vert

I'd wonder what sort of job that was considering a decent quality trans kit costs $60-80 without fluid or labour.......

NextLevelDubClub

could be as simple as fluid and filter. Although you may find that the o-rings in the transmission are becoming loose or breaking down. I had a problem exactly as you described, and when they went to do a filter change, they found disintegrated o-rings in the tranny sump. Very expensive job. Fingers crossed for you that its a quick fix

Wolf_

Really unsure about what it is.. Has only happened once more since my last post. I had a full fluids service back at the end of May. Might be seeing the garage later tomorrow/today, you suggest i mention this?

Cheers

Wolf_

Actually i do have a slight oil leak, like maybe 1 droplet every 2 nights? hopefully unrelated   :o

BB

Mk3 autos are crap and the solenoids give plenty of trouble.
The correct fluid and a filter and labor is a $250 job for sure how Andy got a it done for a hundy is beyond me.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

johnp

Quote from: Wolf_ on July 28, 2011, 12:38:43 AM
Really unsure about what it is.. Has only happened once more since my last post. I had a full fluids service back at the end of May. Might be seeing the garage later tomorrow/today, you suggest i mention this?

Cheers

Just do what Vert suggested. It will then be serviced properly.

BB

Quote from: johnp on August 01, 2011, 09:06:27 AM
Just do what Vert suggested. It will then be serviced properly.

You mean serviced at all :P If it was serviced properly it would have been done many times already.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

johnp

Quote from: BB on August 01, 2011, 09:19:25 AM
You mean serviced at all :P If it was serviced properly it would have been done many times already.

foxman

WANTED VR6 TRANSMISSION FOR 96 GOLF CODE CLB .thxs DAVID

elliott2705

Best of luck mate, theres a long queue. And they are practically impossible to find.  :-\