Fuel Pressure Regulator

Started by robh, January 20, 2005, 07:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robh

dubstar and I where surfing the web about rising rate regulators last night and I found a site that reckons a rising rate one is a bad thing and to use a fixed rate one.   The basis of the comments was that you've got this expensive black box (ECU) which is all high tech and then when you need more fuel instead of letting the electronics work it all out and raise the duty cycle of the injectors your switching over to a very mechanical (therefore basic) device to increase your fueling and therefore it's never going to be as accurate.

the site reckoned if you get the correct sized injectors and pump you should never need to use a rising rate unit.

anyone have direct experiance on this or have a sensible view?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

orggti

orggti

Sencible enuf Robh?
Nice lesson thanks Rex :)

robh

spoken to a very experianced tuner and they explained the reason for needing rising as opposed to fixed rate on force induction engines as follows

"if your injector runs at say 40PSI with no boost and then you generate say 10PSI of boost it effectively drops your injector down to 30PSI"

obviously the math could be slightly different, but you get the basic idea.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

orggti

Surely if it sprays straight into the cylynder when its reached the top of its compresion stroke (fsi) it would have to be under huge preesure as there must be hundreds of PSI at that point? Wouldnt they do the spray whilst the piston was on its way up so the fuel and air could get compressed together?