Best air filter for A4 1.8qt

Started by dj thumpa, February 03, 2006, 09:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj thumpa

Gidday,

Pod discussion in another topic got my wondering whats the best bet for a 1.8qt?
Is it possible to fit a Pod or do you have dramas with air flow censors etc?

This mofo: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5051AS looks Badass!

Any advice would be helpful,
Cheers, Warwick

cao

Won't add power will only increase the amount of noise you hear from the DV
I think particularly Olly ones have had issues but lightly oiled ones will be fine

dj thumpa

It seems strange  :-\, I've alway though that a freer flowing filter would help ('slong as its cold air) increase power? Are K&N classed as light or heavily oiled filters?

timmay

Yip, POD filters should add a bit more power but of course it depends on the application. Its the air filter panel (OEM replacement ones) that don't add much if any power.
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

dj thumpa

Struth, so potentially the above mentioned K&N might be worth a try.

What kinda problems do pods impose with the censors etc?

Period_Correct_

the motronic system and its sensors are advanced... very advanced, those "airboxes" are specially designed for your vehicle.... has alot to do woth mass air flow rate and pressure...
your motronic ECU will adjust to suit the newer "pod", probably wont be for the better...

i wouldn't change that, just get a better panel air filter...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

timmay

Yea might be worth a try. That one looks like a universal fit one though and you probably better off going with a proper K&N Typhoon kit for a 1.8T or something like that.

Dunno about the sensors, but just watch that you don't get water sucking into it. The K&N POD filter kits for a MKIV 1.8T Golf pipe down to behind the front passengers side lower grills. Just don't go driving through a flood or anything  :P
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

dj thumpa

just had another look under the bonnet in my lunch break. The ducting goes all up and around a fairly tight vicinity! May be a bit tricky fitting anything after market  ???

Quoteyour motronic ECU will adjust to suit the newer "pod", probably wont be for the better...

Surely this must be the same with all modern cars that people tinker with, usually a free-flo filter being first on the agenda?

Period_Correct_

I read on audi forums that pod filters are not good unless u remap and have a induction kit and lada dadi...

go panel filter....
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

dj thumpa

Aiight, so I take it that most people here (on vask) with 1.8t engines have stuck with their standard box and maybe an up-rated panel filter yeah?   8)

timmay

Quote from: dj thumpa on February 03, 2006, 03:10:37 PM
Aiight, so I take it that most people here (on vask) with 1.8t engines have stuck with their standard box and maybe an up-rated panel filter yeah?   8)

Yip, I have....dunno about everyone else.

timmay

Oh yea...although u won't get any noticeable power gains, I did notice that she did rev a bit free-er...plus you don't need to replace them. Just clean and re-oil.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: dj thumpa on February 03, 2006, 09:51:13 AM
Gidday,

Pod discussion in another topic got my wondering whats the best bet for a 1.8qt?
Is it possible to fit a Pod or do you have dramas with air flow censors etc?

This mofo: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5051AS looks Badass!

Any advice would be helpful,
Cheers, Warwick

It will increase power marginally if you install it correctly and follow up with the rest of the intake with silicone hoses or stainless piping replacing the small bore induction piping..

If you buy that i would then suggest you find some method of plumming the inlet of that to one of your lower front air dams so it has its own food source...

I have had a panel filter installed my self as the standard airbox is fine.. i removed that randome cone/trumpet inside as i havent the faintest clue what it does... how ever i plummed the inlet of my airbox to my lower front left airdam the car breathes a heck of a lot better. and apparently has a nice induction noise

beeker

The best is a K&N std airbox filter. DONT INSTALL A POD !! You'll only sux hot air.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Turbo

Quote from: beeker on February 03, 2006, 06:35:25 PM
The best is a K&N std airbox filter. DONT INSTALL A POD !! You'll only sux hot air.

just stick it in a bucket and fill it with ice, you'll be sweet.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

avoid installing pod filters next to friends that talk alot.. the engine will run at a higher risk of over heating from the inside out

hitmanGTI

Quote from: NasTnaS on February 03, 2006, 12:23:52 PM
the motronic system and its sensors are advanced...

Motronic this... to advanced for their own good.. what a waste of damning time