On the market for an S3

Started by tumeki, September 02, 2011, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tumeki

So i've been looking for the last few months for a mew replacement Audi

And I've been keeping my eye on this one for $12k - http://www.autobase.co.nz/cars-for-sale/Coupe/Audi/S3/1155101.htm
Cons
- Non metal mirror (kinda like this smart look)
- Older model headlights & rear lights don't appear as they updated model
- Driver seat seems pretty well used

Pros
Body looks pretty tidy
Paint looks quite nice
Wheels looks in good nick

but I've just noticed this one today $15k @ 143km - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-404361407.htm

Cons
- price seems pretty steep
- haven't heard great stories about these guys
- what is MTM upgrade? Carjam reports this model as 154 KW as they report
- mtm tuned? what else are they referring too?

Pros
- good look in silver
- metal mirrors
- updated single headlights and rear light flashings
- tidy body & paint

Here's my queries...

is the 2001 model done 30 more km's with metal look mirrors and lights worth another 3k?

I'm not an expert on the S3's so im a bit uhm & ahh.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

CBRT

I wouldnt worry what it says on the price tag, turn up have a look at both and make a decision and start haggling....

Cambelts done?
FSH?
2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

tumeki

No idea on Cambelt
FSH? Referring to Haldex?

tumeki

Oh Full Service History - I think the Fast 4's one has a history from Giltrap, but the fact fast 4's have this car doesn't bode well.

Red one from Palmy is from Armstrong Dealer, so assuming it has full history

Poonmobile

The later 2001 model would be the one i'd go for, if you want to do a few mods, it has the the 225BHp engine and facelift. as ballin said- haggle- it pays to front up with cash and say this is what i want to pay as well.

I had a 2000 and it was a nice car, i do miss it. I sold it for 15k so i think 15k is not bad, but you should be able to get it for a little less. remember, sometimes you get what you pay for... and sometimes you could get a good deal. That red one has been on there for AGES, started out at 18k close to a year ago before i bought my Imola S3. So could be good buying depending on condition and Service history. red is way cooler than silver IMO too ;) 8)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

Trofeo

If car jam is correct then the silver one has the earlier 210hp engine. But it will be around 240 with the mtm chip. Will need clutch if not done already. Later ones have ESP which is pretty good.otherwise not too much between them. Check all electrics work incl seats lumbar etc.
Also check for rust in roof seams. Great cars these things!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

rambo_005

The red one has been at Z-One for ages, now that Armstrong has taken over the price has dropped to what it currently is.

It's a neat looking car and well priced now.

wgtngti

Z-One had that S3 when I ordered my Golf R from them back in December.
2023 Audi Q4 50 Sportback
2019 Audi RS4
2017 VW Tiguan R Line (sold)
2016 VW Golf GTI Edition 40
2011 VW Golf R (sold)
2008 VW Golf GTI (sold)
2007 VW Golf GTI Edition 30
2003 VW Golf V5 (sold)
1984 VW Golf GTI Cabriolet (sold)
1983 VW Golf GTI

tumeki

Thanks everyone for your input - i have some discussion points with the dealer when i return back from holiday.

Sent the old man to the Fast 4's in Auckland to take that one for a test drive and see how far he can bend the dealer, i'm going to annoy the crowd in Palmy about the Red one - see what happens

Thanks again

CBRT

2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

xring

I considered the red one just before Christmas. I haven't seen or driven it myself, but a VASK member from Palmerston North had a look at it for me. He reckoned it was in good condition etc. Their asking price has certainly dropped since then. I think it would be a good buy, even though it is a pre face lift model.
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

xring

Or you could buy my 2003 VW Bora V6 4Motion  ::)

2.8 litre V6, 6spd manual with full leather interior, including electric 'memory' Recaro front seats (also heated), original equipment electric sunroof, 18 inch OZ alloys with new Bridgestone tyres, and only done 71,000 k's.
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Poonmobile

Go the red, at that price leaves you open for some mods and a good service!
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

tumeki

Well - i snoozed and i lost!

Rung up the dealer and it's gone - some young fella bought it yesterday for 11,900 the dealer reckons. After talking to him further, he said they have sold that car 3 times over during it's lifetime.

Oh well - back to the drawing board.

Poonmobile

Current:
Past:

Steevo

I've decided to look for a Lancia Delta Evo project car as it will be more straight forward to tune than the S3 (assuming I can find one without significant crash damage) so I'm interested in selling my Imola 8L S3 mentioned here:

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,5761.15.html

It has 121k on the clock and has been dealer serviced during my ownership by Southern Motor Court in Dunedin.  However, the car is now based in Christchurch given I'm helping with the earthquake reconstruction.  I've also had the following maintenance done:

Replacement cracked rear offside light (left by previous owner)
Replacement offside CV front joint (after boot split)
Replacement haldex precharge pump
Replacement alarm boot sensor

One wheel (offside front) was kerbed by the previous owner and I'll get it painted before the ownership is changed over.

Full 120k service was carried out by SMC in July which including cambelt, filters, suspension, fluids etc. 

FSH log book and receipts all available.  Feel free to call Mike Brammall at SMC and ask about the imola yellow S3, he'll know which car it is.   The car is honest and has nothing to hide.

The car is currently valued by AMI at $16k so $16k seems a fair asking price.

EDIT: BTW, I saw an identical car to mine just past the big fruit while driving through Cromwell July last year.  Drivers and partners-of-drivers both did double takes.  Just curious to know if it might have been someone here...?

tumeki

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been AFK for a bit overseas and have just got back recently - Steevo thanks for the offer but my brain is finding it hard to mull over driving a bright yellow S3, i keep seeing it as painting a target on the back of my head. Mr Plod would love that.

So still on the market for an S3, seen a few pop on trademe but most of them seem to have more km's than i would like or my expectations are a tad too high.
I've decided I'd like an 02 or 03 model around 100k's as they appear just a little more impressive with the update light flashing's and the silver mirrors like total pro :).

I rung up TradinPost in Auckland who have the 2003 Black S3 done 68 k's but they salesperson seems a little off-side with the details and was more interested in telling me how anal-rentive his mate who owned it was and that Audi have the full service history but couldn't tell me when the cambelt or the haldex was serviced.

Tried discussing price but doesn't seem interested in coming down from $19k - kinda hard really when i live in Wellington.

Is it true that cambelts are done at 120k - audi specifications? Or was i just believing a car dealer... :/

Anyway - i'll keep checking in here if anyone have their S3 still for sale

Cheers

ranton-inc

Quote from: tumeki on September 02, 2011, 01:30:38 PM
Oh Full Service History - I think the Fast 4's one has a history from Giltrap, but the fact fast 4's have this car doesn't bode well.

Red one from Palmy is from Armstrong Dealer, so assuming it has full history

IK know the car at Fast Fours its silver right AGMXXX?

the car is very well serviced... the previous owner was one meticulous mofo...

The guy went to buy a new car apparently and Fast Fours were the wholesaler (ie who gave giltraps the cash for the trade)

Trofeo

Cambelts are 100kms or every five years whichever comes first.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Steevo

Quote from: tumeki on December 01, 2011, 07:48:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been AFK for a bit overseas and have just got back recently - Steevo thanks for the offer but my brain is finding it hard to mull over driving a bright yellow S3, i keep seeing it as painting a target on the back of my head. Mr Plod would love that.
I had the same concerns initially.  So I chatted to a couple of mates who are po-po before I bought it and they said car colour doesn't factor into what they look for.  Of course they didn't tell me what they DO look for but at least it wasn't colour.  In the two and a half years I've owned it I've never been subject to unsolicited attention, apart from excitable small kids who love the colour for some reason, and nods of recognition from boy racers who know their motors.

The high visibility is also a safe colour, other drivers clock it long before other duller colours.  The yellow says the car is special too.  I've come up behind slower drivers on long runs and they let me pass without delay. 

Don't worry about being singled out, its a fun colour to own and always looks fresh.