On the market for an S3

Started by tumeki, September 02, 2011, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tumeki

Quote from: asspat-tdi on December 01, 2011, 08:11:45 AM
IK know the car at Fast Fours its silver right AGMXXX?

the car is very well serviced... the previous owner was one meticulous mofo...

The guy went to buy a new car apparently and Fast Fours were the wholesaler (ie who gave giltraps the cash for the trade)

Sorry i wasn't referring to the silver S3 - it was the black S3 on trademe currently for $19k. That silver one was around 130k 2001 and priced at 16k

Is that black really worth $20k? I'm heading to Auckland for Xmas and planned to test drive it and offer him a rude $15k - hoping that it been on the lot for over 6 months he might get rid of it! - Wishful thinking i know

Cheers

RS4

That black one is mint, 63 odd kms, one owner, the old owner was fastidious and it was remapped by Giltraps last year.
Was a guy in his 40's. Well loved.
You wont find a car like that for mid-teens
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

tumeki

Well it started on trademe 6 months ago as $24k, then $22k and now $19k

Plan is to take it for a test drive, take it to the dealer to go over with a fine tooth comb and then haggle him down. What's an acceptable offer without pissing in his pool? I was thinking $17k

Cheers

RS4

$24 is too much , but under 20 is about right. hard to find a 1 owner car done so low kms. 18500-19000 is the money.
Audi RS4 450 BHP, Milltek, intake, remapped (sold)
VW Edition 30, 307 BHP remap. Manual. (sold)
Audi S6 V10, Milltek , Audi A4 B8 (sold)
VW Golf MK6 Gti, Black
Skoda Octavia vRS TDi, Blue, Coilovers, Mapped, 19's SOLD
Audi B7 A4 3.0 TDi , Mapped, more to follow

tumeki

Thanks RS4

I'll go talk turkey with him at Xmas time.

tumeki

So whilst i ponder round for an S3, what can people tell me about the MK5 Golf GTi turbo - i've always been a manual man but this DSG business looks kinda cool.

Are they reliable?, responsive? What should i be looking for when i take one for a test drive? Does the gearbox last?

Cheers

RS ZWEI

Quote from: tumeki on December 05, 2011, 10:12:41 AM
So whilst i ponder round for an S3, what can people tell me about the MK5 Golf GTi turbo - i've always been a manual man but this DSG business looks kinda cool.

Are they reliable?, responsive? What should i be looking for when i take one for a test drive? Does the gearbox last?

Cheers

Mk5 GTI's are great cars. If you are a committed driver DSG is average and has its faults. It costs more to service and has more issues compared to a proper manual.
Personally Id has a manual Mk5 GTI over a first shape S3, but the GTI is more money.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

tumeki

Hmm - i need to test drive both out really. I've always been a manual driver so going to an automatic seems kinda boring, although the paddle shifting seems kinda cool; suppose the novelty wears off after a while.

Hard decision, need a new car but stuff all S3's round and the MK5's GTI turbo's are a bit out of my price range.

Decisions Decisions

tumeki

Anyone else selling their 8L S3's?

After an 02 03 model, looking around and keen to get in touch with people who are interested to sell.

Cheers

tumeki

What are people's thoughts on S3's that appear to have been sitting around a car yard for months on end?

I have found an S3 which has been sitting on the lot for close to 9 months now - it's done under 100k's and Giltrap have confirmed they have never serviced or done a cam belt but did give it four new tyres and a pollen filter back in Feb 2012. The dealer has confirmed that prior to sitting on the lot, the owner had it sitting in his garage for about a year as he purchased an 8P apparently.

Dealer has come back with a price which i turned down because you just don't accept offers over the phone. I'm willing to stretch the money because it's a nice very nice model at face value but im considering a counter offer and asking them to have Giltrap complete a full service before i take ownership - is that a reasonable request or am i pissing in their pool?
before id o go that far - i'll be in Auckland at Xmas time to take it for a test drive and find a local spnner man to give it a pre-purchase inspection, say someone like Qualitat.

Any advice would be appreciated, i'm at that point of making a firm decision

Cheers

Gav

Quote from: tumeki on December 12, 2011, 06:18:17 AM
Anyone else selling their 8L S3's?

After an 02 03 model, looking around and keen to get in touch with people who are interested to sell.

Cheers

What about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/s3/auction-441311431.htm

Nice personalised plate to go with it too :)

GLIDN

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Poonmobile

sigh :( my favourite colour in the S3
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

[email protected]

That blue S3 on Trademe is nice, it's due for a cambelt tho. Does anyone know what they cost for fit for these?
'14 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon
'12 VW Cross Polo
'12 Renault Sport Megane RS250 - Sold
'02 Honda Civic Type-R - Sold
'02 Audi S3 - Sold
'91 VW Golf Mk2 GTi 8v - Sold

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

[email protected]

found this one on trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/s3/auction-443115792.htm

Does anyone know what the MTM upgrade would me/might be. I see from this link the seller posted it could possibly be any number of different things http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/S3/1-8-T-155-kW-210hp-Quattro?FZID=S3155Q

Initally didn't appeal at all cause it has terrible photos. Is it red or orange?
'12 VW Cross Polo
'02 Audi S3 - Sold

Poonmobile

It's red. S3's only came out in that red. It's a crappy pic and has been on TM for a while. But looks like a good spec- check for cam belt and look through history. S3's are a great car and good value for money. I'd buy another one in a heart beat!
Current:
Past:

Trofeo

Quote from: Johnnytron on January 29, 2012, 09:34:35 AM
found this one on trademe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/s3/auction-443115792.htm

Does anyone know what the MTM upgrade would me/might be. I see from this link the seller posted it could possibly be any number of different things http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/S3/1-8-T-155-kW-210hp-Quattro?FZID=S3155Q

Initally didn't appeal at all cause it has terrible photos. Is it red or orange?
generally the mtm s3's in nz have just had the ecu upgrade. Was a $4k option from the dealership. So approx 240-250hp.
I'd be expecting a new clutch around those kms. Especially as it has a towbar!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

[email protected]

ok viewed the red s3 today, was very nice.

Has had its cambelt changed at 105k (currently 128k) but it was way back in 2008. Also had a new clutch at 96k.

I see that sometimes cambelt changes are recommended at a distance/time interval. Usually 5 years I think in the case of an S3. So given the cambelt was done only 20k ago but almost 5 years do you think that is an issue??
'12 VW Cross Polo
'02 Audi S3 - Sold