On the market for an S3

Started by tumeki, September 02, 2011, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toro

GLIDN

Yes, 5 years or 100k km's, replace cambelt,

Do not tempt fate with these cars, we use to have an owner here that ignore this simple rule,
Engine rebuild ended up costing him almost $7000-$8000. Not including the hassle of the engine smoking a little bit after the rebuild.

So paying around the $1000-$1500 is a bargain in my opinion.Oh and a piece of mind.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

deedub

Quite incredible how much some people tempt fate with cambelts. When I bought my mk4, the cambelt was 130k kms and 12 years old. Apart from that, it had pretty decent service history!
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

le mans

If you are in Aucks ring Brodies and ask them about cam belt service intervals. They have a different view on this 60km/5 year thing.

When I bought my RS4 from CCS is was nearly 7 years old and had not had the cam belt replaced (only 47,000km though). They had it on the forecourt so obviously weren't too stressed about it. I had the cam belt service done as part of the purchase deal, but they would have happily sold it without the service.

GLIDN

Quote from: le mans on March 20, 2012, 02:19:43 PM
If you are in Aucks ring Brodies and ask them about cam belt service intervals. They have a different view on this 60km/5 year thing.

When I bought my RS4 from CCS is was nearly 7 years old and had not had the cam belt replaced (only 47,000km though). They had it on the forecourt so obviously weren't too stressed about it. I had the cam belt service done as part of the purchase deal, but they would have happily sold it without the service.

yeah the RS4 is only 60K/5 year which ever is first. Hand book should state that too?

the Standard A3/A4/S3 etc, suppose to be 120km/6 years. But have seen a shocking number of engine replacements due to people saying it's ok, I have only done a few thousand km's it can go to 100km's or this case 120km's. Then BAM snap, crying.

Crappy German cars are not reliable, blah blah. When it's useless owners that are not aware or only believe it when written on black and white etc.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning