Sifty's MK1 GTI...

Started by sifty, September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Quote from: sifty on January 25, 2012, 08:30:13 PM
I've been busy... sand blasting rust and assessing things. Looks like she's going to be wearing some lovely spotty matt black primer for a while as I save up for a new coat of paint.

You should take the rear side windows out, rust loves to live in the window surrounds on a Mk1.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

johnp

So for now, I'm just buzzing out the obvious stuff, acid etching & priming.

You do know that primer should not be left without a top coat for any length of time as it is porous?
I would spray a thin layer of topcoat over the primer to seal it off until you are ready for the full respray of the car.

sifty

Yes & Yes... The windows all need to come out. And yes I know primer is porous, I have used zinc primer, so not a primer I'll be top coating over and I'll be keeping it nice and dry, but I'm not kidding myself that this was a lasting repair in anyway. I just wanted to get to the bottom of some of the rust to see how bad it was and slow it down a bit, and get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.
The car needs a bare metal really, but it definitely won't do any harm to have removed all the rust I've buzzed off.

I do appreciate the advice though, glad to know people care.   8)

sifty

Back on the road for now. The next mission is to have a good look underneath it and replace the shocks and whatever else I find.
I'm trying to keep it driveable as much as possible - this is not a restoration (yet) project.

M M

This is going well. Good work, looking forward to the end result.
Bought not built.

sifty

Cheers! when it looks like this you'll know I'm finished.  8) But I don't have the time or money to even contemplate that yet, so for now it's just going to stay ratty and on the road as much as possible.  >:D

.:Ross

That cars lovely man, where did you find the pic? Random google or is the any more info on it....??

Cars looking good...glad you weren't put off by the hidden rust, just enjoy driving it as much as you can...

sifty

Quote from: ScottishRoss on January 27, 2012, 07:06:23 PM
That cars lovely man, where did you find the pic? Random google or is the any more info on it....??

Cars looking good...glad you weren't put off by the hidden rust, just enjoy driving it as much as you can...

Yeah, I think it was on the VWVortex or some VW forum... ummm. I'll let you know if I find it again. I did ask for more info, but no one had any, aside from the obvious that he has 15" P Slots and I don't...  :'(

I am enjoying driving it, I used it for the daycare run this morning with my daughter. 15 minutes drive up Old North Road and Peak Road  ;D   I'll be liking it more with some suspension that is a bit less rooted though. 

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

johnp

Quote from: sifty on January 26, 2012, 09:36:38 PM
Yes & Yes... The windows all need to come out. And yes I know primer is porous, I have used zinc primer, so not a primer I'll be top coating over and I'll be keeping it nice and dry, but I'm not kidding myself that this was a lasting repair in anyway. I just wanted to get to the bottom of some of the rust to see how bad it was and slow it down a bit, and get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.
The car needs a bare metal really, but it definitely won't do any harm to have removed all the rust I've buzzed off.

I do appreciate the advice though, glad to know people care.   8)

This is a caring community.  :-*

sifty

So I'm about to bite the bullet on a new set of springs and shocks - So far I'm leaning towards the H&R Cup Kit Touring (not quite as much drop as the Sport as I drive on gravel roads)
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_I-Rabbit-8v/Suspension/Suspension_Kits/ES1303463/

Does anyone have any views good/bad on these? and also n ECS Tuning, I've read a few people saying they were good to deal with.

I'm in serious need of something, at the moment it drives like a Cadillac.  :o

sifty

Axle weights???  I'm getting ready to order a set of H&R Cup suspension from Awesome GTI (as soon as Scottishross has beaten them down on the price as much as he can) but there are a number of different ones to choose from and I'm not sure I fully understand the differences...  ???

Can anyone decipher this for me? http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/section.php?xSec=5&xPage=1

Mine is an '82 GTI 1800 (UK import)

RS ZWEI

Quote from: sifty on February 01, 2012, 05:39:14 PM
Axle weights???  I'm getting ready to order a set of H&R Cup suspension from Awesome GTI (as soon as Scottishross has beaten them down on the price as much as he can) but there are a number of different ones to choose from and I'm not sure I fully understand the differences...  ???

Can anyone decipher this for me? http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/section.php?xSec=5&xPage=1

Mine is an '82 GTI 1800 (UK import)

After a quick look at that website it seems you can only get one H&R Cup kit for the hatch:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=29081&xSec=5&jssCart=35bb4ab63edee4492361a9be940d5dd4

And it looks like about 4 options for the soft top.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

sifty

Yeah it's confusing as hell. But I think that option you're showing is for the early models between '74 and '79.

The other ones all list Type 17 and 155. 

Looking at the H&R website possibly makes a bit more sense, but if I choose my year and model I get the same four choices.
http://www1.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=B7ECB09028711C48E040A8C01E3E5377107004&ROOT=1

AwesomeGTI wasn't any use in trying to work it out. I've emailed H&R too, but who knows if they'll respond.

BB

Quote from: nacnud on January 31, 2012, 09:51:41 PM

8)

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79198&st=0

Those tyres would roll off the rim at the slightest hint of cornering. Very very stupid. And they look stupid too. ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

johnp

Quote from: BB on February 02, 2012, 01:35:47 PM
Those tyres would roll off the rim at the slightest hint of cornering. Very very stupid. And they look stupid too. ;)

+1

sifty

Ok. So we got carried away and weighed them both at each corner and we added weight (me) to the front and rear seats and recalculated the weights to work out the percentage split that the weight adds to the front and rear, then I made a spread sheet so I could plug in different weights to see how the balance would be affected.... Yes, I get carried away sometimes...   ::)

So here's the long and short of it for anyone interested.

All weights are in KG, both cars had nearly full tanks of gas onboard - 35L each (weighing 25kg)
My Hardtop is an 1800 and the Cabby is a 1600, also the Cabby has a towbar we'd estimate at another 20kg.

Front     Rear    Total       
Hardtop:    562      327      889
Cabby:      591      393      984

The weight % splits are useful, if you want to work out what spring weight you need. So if you add eg: a 80kg driver, how much of that weight goes to each axle. etc.

Weight added to Front Seats:
51.63% adds to the Front Axle weight 48.37% adds to the Rear axle weight.

Weight added to the Rear Seats:
17.65% adds to the Front Axle weight 82.35% adds to the Rear axle weight.

Back to the original question then: Which H&R springs to choose?

For my purposes, I'm generally going to weigh under 660kg front axle and most people would weigh under 570kg rear too. 
Here is an example: if I had 2 x 80kg people in the front and 1 x 80kg in the back and a full tank of gas (which is honestly the most load I'm likely to carry. Then my front axle weight would be 659kg and my rear 470kg.

Glad I worked it out now.  8)

sifty

New shoes today

M M

Bought not built.