Sifty's MK1 GTI...

Started by sifty, September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

So I was out minding my own  business in my wife's GTI Cab, and this guy comes up to me and starts talking about it. Turns out he has one too... a hardtop... that he's considering selling... s**t... :o

He's not giving it away, but I think it can be had for fair money - but it does need work...  what to do?

I currently have 2 scooter and a car for sale on Trademe, if even one of them sold it would make the decision much easier as I'd actually have a place to put it.

wilco

The first thing to do I reckon is not to tell anyone on here or you'll have vultures circling. 

BB

I think hes pretty safe there are about 3 mk1 deals going at the mo and nobody's biting.
Basils Jetta.
Viktros mk1 cabby.
JDVW's 2 mk1s.
Any others?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: sifty on September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM
So I was out minding my own  business in my wife's GTI Cab, and this guy comes up to me and starts talking about it. Turns out he has one too... a hardtop... that he's considering selling... s**t... :o

He's not giving it away, but I think it can be had for fair money - but it does need work...  what to do?

I currently have 2 scooter and a car for sale on Trademe, if even one of them sold it would make the decision much easier as I'd actually have a place to put it.

We cam give you an idea on price if you tell us the information and condition of the car.

Real Mk1 GTI's are hard to find. If I was you Id jump at it.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

sifty

Well, I'd love to hear what people think it's worth, based on my description.

It is WOF'd and Registered, but it's done less than 5000kms in the last 10 years.
It is a 1982 build with the DX 1800. Imported from the UK at about 3 years old and done 113,000 miles.

Generally speaking, it's poorly presented, but then the guy didn't have it all clean and ready for sale, it's just pretty much as it's sat in a carport for year with an occasional run around the block or down to the testing station.
The interior is "ok" not mint, but all there, the worst bit is the standard worn out drivers side seat bolster. Also, it's a bit mouldy in there from being shut up for a long time.
The body is the let down really. It's tatty and fairly rusty. All along the roof gutters is rusty. It looks like surface rust, but in my experience stuff that 'looks like surface rust' usually hides something worse. There are bits and pieces of rust all around, nothing that seems too bad, but I plan to go back with a jack and stands and get under the sills and in the wheel arches and along the firewall.
The back drivers side rear quarter panel, between the wheel and tail light is all bogged, some time ago, but it's cracked and needs to come out.
The bumpers are not awesome, the front guards are a bit dented. the grille is cracked and had a crapty paint job. It's the twin headlight front.
Sadly it doesn't have P-Slots, it has those 9 spoke 13s.
It does have a gay '80s after market glass sunroof.  and the windows are clear glass, so it's not a 'Campaign Edition'
Fuel cap 'snowflake' part is broken off.
Does have the 'A' pillar plastic trims
Engine runs fine. a bit less rattly than our Cab.
Rear shocks are rooted, front probably not much better but hard to tell with the backs as they are.

My assessment is that it is by no means too far gone, but it wouldn't be a moment too soon to start hitting all that rust hard.

BB

I have been to see this car with the after market sun roof. Its a metallic green isn't it?
He was asking WAY to much for it when I think its was Deedub asked me to check it out for him.
Its been for sale a long time.
Its worth about a grand but would cost a lot to get the rust done.
I would wonder how he got a wof with the rust along the roof line unless it really is just surface rust.
Its on the shore down a longish drive on a culdesac eh?

Number21

Yeah Jem it was me who got you to check that out. Sounds like a lot of work. Aftermarket sunroof is a bit of a bummer too.

sifty

Black, not Green.

spooln

Sounds like a dedicated save. Hope someone does.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

RS ZWEI

Quote from: sifty on September 06, 2011, 12:24:57 PM
Well, I'd love to hear what people think it's worth, based on my description.

It is WOF'd and Registered, but it's done less than 5000kms in the last 10 years.
It is a 1982 build with the DX 1800. Imported from the UK at about 3 years old and done 113,000 miles.

Generally speaking, it's poorly presented, but then the guy didn't have it all clean and ready for sale, it's just pretty much as it's sat in a carport for year with an occasional run around the block or down to the testing station.
The interior is "ok" not mint, but all there, the worst bit is the standard worn out drivers side seat bolster. Also, it's a bit mouldy in there from being shut up for a long time.
The body is the let down really. It's tatty and fairly rusty. All along the roof gutters is rusty. It looks like surface rust, but in my experience stuff that 'looks like surface rust' usually hides something worse. There are bits and pieces of rust all around, nothing that seems too bad, but I plan to go back with a jack and stands and get under the sills and in the wheel arches and along the firewall.
The back drivers side rear quarter panel, between the wheel and tail light is all bogged, some time ago, but it's cracked and needs to come out.
The bumpers are not awesome, the front guards are a bit dented. the grille is cracked and had a s**tty paint job. It's the twin headlight front.
Sadly it doesn't have P-Slots, it has those 9 spoke 13s.
It does have a gay '80s after market glass sunroof.  and the windows are clear glass, so it's not a 'Campaign Edition'
Fuel cap 'snowflake' part is broken off.
Does have the 'A' pillar plastic trims
Engine runs fine. a bit less rattly than our Cab.
Rear shocks are rooted, front probably not much better but hard to tell with the backs as they are.

My assessment is that it is by no means too far gone, but it wouldn't be a moment too soon to start hitting all that rust hard.

I wouldnt think its worth a hell of a lot of money. You could spend 10K+ on a car like that to get it nice.
If you go back to have a look for more rust have a look under the "A" pilar caps.
Money wise I wouldnt see this being worth anymore than $1,500.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

sifty

Quote from: RS ZWEI on September 06, 2011, 02:29:47 PM
I wouldnt think its worth a hell of a lot of money. You could spend 10K+ on a car like that to get it nice.
If you go back to have a look for more rust have a look under the "A" pilar caps.
Money wise I wouldnt see this being worth anymore than $1,500.

Cheers. You are probably right.
What I can see happening is I'll offer him what I think it's worth, which he won't take because I'll be the first person giving him the bad news. Then he'll try and sell it and a few more people will tell him that and finally he'll end up selling it for less to someone else after several months of heartache and aggravation with all sorts of people coming and taking a look.
I've been there and done that many years ago with a Datsun 1600 SSS. I gave the guy the bad news, he was very upset, he tried to sell it for months and finally sold it for a couple hundy less than I'd offered him.
Or, he might get lucky and some one will pay too much for it.

I'm going to go take another closer look and If I don't find anything too frightening, I'll see if I can negotiate a price.  If I pass it up I'll spill the beans on it for anyone else who is interested.

00quattro00

Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

GTI's

I know the car it has a PP like MK1GTI?  it has some rust and some rough grill mods.
was it an english guy called Paul?

VeeDub

Lives on the shore in Beachhaven area? Rough as the three or four times I've seen it. ROUGH!

BB

Hes already had it for sale for over a year with people saying its not worth what he wants.

sifty

Do you recall what he was asking back then?

I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten better from another year of sitting in the carport.

BB

I can't remember what he wanted then but it was more than number21 wanted to pay and that's who I checked it out for.
What does he want for it now?

sifty

Well....... I'm glad I made this thread...

He said he wanted in the high $2ks - I was pretty quick to tell him it wasn't worth it, but he was not convinced. 

I did get the impression he doesn't actually want to sell it as much as say, his wife does.  But then, it's makes me cringe to think of it just sitting there rusting when someone could be treating it properly.  You know, if you love something set it free....

VeeDub

I've seen that thing tearing up Onewa road, enthusiastically making massive smoke screens pouring out the exhaust.