Sifty's MK1 GTI...

Started by sifty, September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

sifty

Here it is, untouched.

sifty

Here is why it was so cheap...  :-\

The 2nd pic is after I started scraping back some of the paint.

BB

Tiz a shame the old rust :P
I have a mk1 here that I am scared to start working on as I really have so many other things I should be doing.........
Make sure you use a acid rust converter and then wash it clean with lots of water and then etch prime it when its as pitted as that.
Lotta work.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

GTI's

I have a rust free hatch if you need it?

sifty

Quote from: GTI's on December 21, 2011, 04:24:35 PM
I have a rust free hatch if you need it?

How rust free?  this one doesn't seem too bad. worst part is the bottom left corner of the window.

maxmax

It's great to see this being saved. I drove it some time last year when it was on TM and it seemed rough but no mk1 gti deserves to be scrapped!
Mk5 GTI, E30 M325i

GTI's

less than that but has enamel on it and it's white!   also has a couple holes drilled in it...

sifty

Quote from: maxmax on December 21, 2011, 09:46:01 PM
It's great to see this being saved. I drove it some time last year when it was on TM and it seemed rough but no mk1 gti deserves to be scrapped!

Yes, it's been weighing on my mind since I first saw it a few months ago. I just hated to think of it sitting there in that carport. It's in a nice dry garage now and getting some attention. It's going to be wearing a coat of patchy primer for a while though, I've got no immediate plans to respray it. With the way the rust is coming through, every panel needs to go back to bare metal to do a decent job.  So for now, I'm just buzzing out the obvious stuff, acid etching & priming.

It also needs a full set of shocks, but aside from that it runs ok (noisy tappets) and deserves to be driven for a while.  I've been having a blast on our twisty roads out here, can't wait to throw some new suspension in it.

GTI's

sifty

Quote from: GTI's on December 22, 2011, 09:03:40 AM
Are you a pilot sifty?

Yes, but primarily I'm the Airfield Manager.  Mostly I'm just a recreational pilot.

spooln

Any after hours airfield track action....?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

80 Vert

Quote from: spooln on December 22, 2011, 04:23:02 PM
Any after hours airfield track action....?

Thinking like me spooln........... >:D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

sifty

Yeah, it's not quite like Dunsfold (where Top Gear is filmed), so there is no 'track' as such just a narrow runway.

GTI's

80 Vert

Quote from: sifty on December 22, 2011, 08:16:00 PM
Yeah, it's not quite like Dunsfold (where Top Gear is filmed), so there is no 'track' as such just a narrow runway.

Narrow runway is good.................. >:D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

sifty

Maybe one day when we concrete it, but our seal isn't up that kind of traffic.  And trust me, it's only 760m x 8m you can't really go that fast.
Less than a 1/4 mile if you leave room for braking.

sifty

So I pulled off the bumpers and flares today. Yesterday removed the the swage decals.

To be honest, there is lest rust under these places than I expected. Almost nothing under the flares.   ;D

sifty

I've been busy... sand blasting rust and assessing things. Looks like she's going to be wearing some lovely spotty matt black primer for a while as I save up for a new coat of paint.

Brett

Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30