Sifty's MK1 GTI...

Started by sifty, September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

Vancouver. 
What is special about those? that you want I mean.

vdubdave

They were fitted with daytime running lights and used a different light switch....

I'm trying to get the connector off the loom (I've already got the switches) so that I don't need a relay to turn the lights OFF when the lights are turned on.

Was also fitted to European Mk2 (86C) Polos....
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

sifty

ranton-inc

Quote from: vdubdave on February 22, 2017, 06:36:58 AM
They were fitted with daytime running lights and used a different light switch....

I'm trying to get the connector off the loom (I've already got the switches) so that I don't need a relay to turn the lights OFF when the lights are turned on.

Was also fitted to European Mk2 (86C) Polos....

Why would you need a Relay? Just use the Headlights Positive Feed as the Earth for the DRLs. when you flick your headlights on it eliminated the earth and the DRLs shut off

vdubdave

Great idea but that won't work. When the lights are off there's no path back to ground.... So the lights won't ever come on.
When lights off there would be +12 and nothing but when lights on both sides are +12 so the lights would be off, which is hat you want - hence the relay to put the negative of the light to GND?

sifty

spooln

Callaway turbo kit.........😎
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

vdubdave

How many bHp will that get you?

And looks like it won't be too hard to fit either...

sifty

BHP... That'll depend on a whole bunch of factors and to be honest it's not a big motivating factor at this stage, but it will be well in excess of the stock figure.

spooln

Karl who owns red rabbit project has a callaway valve cover. You might have to twist his arm to add that to the rest of the package.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

sifty

I have discussed that with Karl, but not successfully, yet.

I've tried to buy valve covers several times but the guys selling them have all been in the US and they didn't want to deal with a foreigner when there were plenty of local people who wanted them too.
I'll find one eventually...

Quite a few of them have ended up as 'trophies' in people's garages or paper weights or fitted to non-turbo cars.  It's making them a bit harder to find.

McDoof

Quote from: vdubdave on February 24, 2017, 10:01:49 PM
Great idea but that won't work. When the lights are off there's no path back to ground.... So the lights won't ever come on.
When lights off there would be +12 and nothing but when lights on both sides are +12 so the lights would be off, which is hat you want - hence the relay to put the negative of the light to GND?
You can get a DRL controller box off Aliexpress for around $5. Simple and effective
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

spooln

RS ZWEI

Quote from: sifty on February 27, 2017, 08:01:03 AM
I have discussed that with Karl, but not successfully, yet.

I've tried to buy valve covers several times but the guys selling them have all been in the US and they didn't want to deal with a foreigner when there were plenty of local people who wanted them too.
I'll find one eventually...

Quite a few of them have ended up as 'trophies' in people's garages or paper weights or fitted to non-turbo cars.  It's making them a bit harder to find.

Cant you use a youshop account to get it sent to if you are purchasing in the US?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

sifty

Quote from: RS ZWEI on February 27, 2017, 11:27:56 AM
Cant you use a youshop account to get it sent to if you are purchasing in the US?

You'd think so!  It seems that quite a few Americans have a real mental block with dealing with foreigners.
One guy didn't want the part going overseas (some misguided patriotism), another didn't want to ship at all and he was in a big city so a local person bought it, and another didn't even want to talk about it.

Quote from: spooln on February 27, 2017, 11:00:45 AM
Btw, stage 1, 2 or 3 kit?

It was a Stage 2, but it doesn't have 100% of the Stage 2 parts. Notably the micro-fueler, which most people tend to replace anyway with a better solution, and in cabin boost adjustment.
The intercooler is the setup for a car with A/C so it mounts low in front of the gearbox, instead of vertically beside the radiator. That's actually good because the oil cooler can stay where it is and the piping is shorter and neater than on the non A/C version.

dave

Sick, do you have 3 callaway gauges for your console?

sifty

I've got the Callaway VDO boost gauge, which is the only gauge the for the kit, and I have the period VDO Oil Pressure, Water Temp & Voltage to match.
Originally on Callaways the boost gauge was fitted down the on center console (US spec cars only had 2 gauge holes there) but it's a bit of a useless place for a boost gauge, so a lot of them ended up being moved up into a housing on the steering trim or above the heater controls.
If I can find a decent housing I think I'll mount it up higher. 

gti vr6

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

robh

That looks totally awesome, well done.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"