DIY-able?

Started by Wolf_, September 12, 2011, 11:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf_

Hi guys,

Just got my Golf back from a Gilltrap safety check and surprise surprise they found a gold bar's worth of problems with the car  ::). Nothing major but costly none the less.
According to them i have the following problems:

- oil leak from the cam covers
- water ingress in right rear lamp
- both rear strut inner covers worn
- left break binding slightly
- right front track end boot split
- speed sensor wiring deteriorated

Including 2 new tyres, they quoted me $1500  ;D

What do you think is fixable by someone with limited mechanical knowledge and tools? Is anything particularly critical?

Cheers

the phantom

have a look around in here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3370991#post40638697 I know that the MK4 equivalent pages on Vortex are a mine of useful information

also if you're in Auckland, go the the central library and spend a while going through the Haynes manual there to see what's involved

and Jem (user BB) will do anything you can't manage a lot cheaper than Giltraps
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Wolf_

Cheers, will check out the library.

Thanks for the advice!

watercooled

Never buy tyres thru a main agent they will most likely charge the earth,shop around,you will be surprized the price difference.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

BB

Its a mk3 golf its amazing they could only pick on such common and silly faults.

The crank sensor should be changed if the wiring is all breaking up. Or it will strand you.

The shock covers worn ::)

The brakes may need replacing but a wof test will keep you up to date with this stuff, plus your own feelings towards the car.

Sure reglue the rear light. 25 mins max.

You need the rack boot done for a wof.  $50 including boot. And that's a good deal for the mechanic not the owner. But fair.

If you want your oil leak fixed at the cam cover do that too, up to you you can see how bad it is as much as them.

Why did you ever think taking a mk3 to Giltraps wouldn't just waste there, and your time really.

There quote is actually ok seeing as you know Giltraps are about $120 an hour and the parts are full whack. The speed sensor is about $300 or more and they would have had to remove the rear shocks to replace the covers :P Plus tyres at full retail no doubt a reasonable brand as well.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Wolf_

It was only $25 for the safety check so thought i might as well  ;)

Speed sensor and cam cover leak are my main concerns but have been putting it off for a while now. Should get round to fixing it one of these days  ::)