Importing vehicle question

Started by .:Ross, September 12, 2011, 08:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:Ross

Ok, been having a look around on here and on google. So you bring a car in that's endured European winters, it arrives at the port and the inspector looks at it then declares its rusty ( no big surprise). What happens then...can you keep it and get the rust fixed or is there much worse punishment??

RS ZWEI

You can keep it but the rust has to be repaired before the car will be allowed on the road.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

So as long as you don't mind fixing it there's no hidden issues....they just do the entry compliance inspection to make sure work has been done properly??

RS ZWEI

Quote from: ScottishRoss on September 12, 2011, 09:31:10 PM
So as long as you don't mind fixing it there's no hidden issues....they just do the entry compliance inspection to make sure work has been done properly??

I think once it's been noted for having rust it needs to go to a certified repairer to get sorted

What are you thinking of importing?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

The list is endless to be honest but i have two mk1's back home....if i get the chance to live here forever, which I'm starting the paperwork on, might aswell make my 4 year holiday official, then I'll look at bringing them over... When you say certified repairer, couple of good friends rebuild classic cars and hot-rods professionally ...not quite your certified insurance type repairers but very experienced panel beaters, would that keep them happy??

Gordo

Could be OK - however, they'll at least want to see the repair in the metal - before any filler is used and with some anal inspectors, befor it's even primed.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

Yeah probably just the luck of the draw on who you get, does it have to be done coming straight off the boat or just when you try to have it complied?? Mate had good things to say about the inspector down this way, good communication through a project he did, above and beyond compared to some horror stories I've heard.

Lots of random questions I know but would like to know before i delve into the mission, cheers guys

ritmo

Have imported a couple cars so happy to be any help.

Nik is right cert repair will want to be avoided at all costs! If damage or rust has been pinged on boarder.....only approved repairers will be allowed to sign it off.....which typically means they will only sign their own work off. If not caught at boarder it can also be picked at compliance..... which too can lead to repair cert.

Good luck.

Cheers for the heads up. We'll see what sort of quotes i get for RORO shipping. That'll be the major factor in my decision.
Just got one through Southampton to SI NZ - ?800???

deedub

Quote from: ScottishRoss on September 12, 2011, 11:09:57 PM
Cheers for the heads up. We'll see what sort of quotes i get for RORO shipping. That'll be the major factor in my decision.
Just got one through Southampton to SI NZ - ?800???

I imagine that will just be the shipping itself. It's the departure and destination charges that make shipping really expensive. A container that we're bringing in costs only $1400USD sea freight, but all up costs us $4k NZD without duty and GST.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress