Spotted: A8 W12

Started by AndyS, February 11, 2006, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyS

I saw an A8 W12 last night on Remuera Rd when i was at the villager.  Black, looks quite cool i reckon with the large grille the v8s dont have.  PP of 'A8 W12'.  Is that the only one in NZ?  I heard one got privately imported

1.8t

I think I know the son of the guy who owns it, well ive seen it at his place anyway.

Often seen around the Viliger, such a nice place to go for a drink, mmmmmm. Nice chips too.

can often be found there on sunday nights when back into uni :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

rambo_005

I didn't realise there were any W12s in NZ... Cool!

6 IN A ROW

There are a couple of W12s in the country all privately imported.

All A8s now have the big grille. the w12 you saw is a facelift one.  :)

rambo_005

I know that the A8 was facelifted and now has the big grille, but I thought the W12 started off with the 'big beard' and was the first Audi to have it also?

6 IN A ROW

yes on 2nd thoughts your right!  :-[

rambo_005

Quote from: 6 IN A ROW on February 11, 2006, 05:59:05 PM
yes on 2nd thoughts your right!  :-[

for once!  :police:

1.8t

They look so awesome rolling round.

Way more character than the new 7 imo.
Dudlee the 86 318i

Neil_Corrado

Quote from: 1.8t on February 11, 2006, 06:30:14 PM
They look so awesome rolling round.

Way more character than the new 7 imo.

Hell no, I am a big fan of Chris's design work. The original 7, before the recent facelift, was a fantastic looking car, but now good looking in a mainstream kind of way. But if your talking longwheel base, I'm not interested. If its a LWB 7, S class, phaeton, A8 or Bentley you can keep it.

rambo_005

Quote from: Neil on February 11, 2006, 10:29:52 PM
Hell no, I am a big fan of Chris's design work.

The only BMWs I like are the one before Bangle's monstrosity designs, the current 1, 3, Z4, 5, 6, 7 are all not to my taste...

1.8t

Quote from: Neil on February 11, 2006, 10:29:52 PM
Hell no, I am a big fan of Chris's design work. The original 7, before the recent facelift, was a fantastic looking car, but now good looking in a mainstream kind of way. But if your talking longwheel base, I'm not interested. If its a LWB 7, S class, phaeton, A8 or Bentley you can keep it.

I agree he has got alot of people talking, BMW were too conservative but not i think they have gone the other way, the new 3 is alright though, I think its just the 5 that has ruined him :)
Dudlee the 86 318i

Neil_Corrado

Really? The 5 is a great looking car, the M5 especially. Although off topic, the Fiat Coupe was styled by him, and even back then you can see his design philosophy that is now the current BMW line up.

1.8t

Neil you are too good at this game!

I agree the m5 is great but the non Mspec M5 fivers just dont do it for me, i dont really know why.

Im a big fan of the older M Coupe though, they rock the party, only seen a few round
Dudlee the 86 318i

Lunar7

Bangle didn't do the new 3, now way would the BMW board let him screw up the only car they make money on, he is now been moved in to a more Hand's off role.

Look a the sales of A4's in Germany, most of that can be attributed to Bangle, his cars are so ugly that they stopped selling.  the 7 had to be discounted within months of launch to get sales

Neil_Corrado

So your saying because BMW styled their cars differently, people bought the inferior A4?
Although this will be a unpopular statement. Audi's now all look the same, can you say with a 110% certainty that at a glance you could tell an A3 from an A4 from the front? Same goes for A6 and A8. Even if you don't like BMW's current styling, at least you know which model your looking at.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2006, 06:06:26 PM
So your saying because BMW styled their cars differently, people bought the inferior A4?
Although this will be a unpopular statement. Audi's now all look the same, can you say with a 110% certainty that at a glance you could tell an A3 from an A4 from the front? Same goes for A6 and A8. Even if you don't like BMW's current styling, at least you know which model your looking at.

to right..

Dubious

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2006, 06:06:26 PM
Same goes for A6 and A8.

I agree. These two models in particular are very similar in design.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

rambo_005

I'd rather the Audis, they may not have extreme styling like the BMWs, but thats what I like about them.

I can tell the A3/A4 apart easy, the A6 and A8 are a bit tricky, but move around a bit and its all obvious...

veedubtom

I prefer all the previous gen BMW shapes, Bangle should be shot, haha, and I find telling Audis apart easy

Turbo

bmw's are for wankers.
audi's are for wankers who don't want people to know they're wankers.
so they're styled more subtly which is their niche. understated yet confident.
this may make them look similar, but i'd rather have a good looking car which is similar to it's stablemate than a unique looking pig-ugly turd.

2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch