how long?

Started by shay, February 12, 2006, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shay

Hi everyone,

can anyone give me an approximate time that it takes to do a head gasket on a 91 Gti golf?

My coolant is very milky so I am taking an educated guess that thats what it is. There is no coolant in the oil so I am guessing its not a cracked head, but in saying that I am not a mechanic so I could be all wrong too

Thanks

The Admiral

hi mate. Depends on whether or not you have help and the right tools. The hardest part I found was removing the exhaust manifold bolts to set the thing free. There are two ways of doing this. You can either undo the bolts from the maifold to the head, or you can crawl under the car and undo the connection from the manifold to the downpipe. If you do the latter you'll need a special tool to put it back together. The special tool can be home made. I did the former.

A friend and I managed to remove the head and fit new valves, new guides, new oil seals, springs etc (everything except the cam and bearings) as well as re-cut the valve seats in a weekend. If you're taking the head off, you'd might as well change the oil seals as it's easy to do.

Is it an 8V? Mine was.

Cheers!

The Admiral

Pristle

Before you jump to the head gasket, check the oil cooler. I found this to be a lot cheaper and faster to change. Mine is located between the engine and oil filter. To test it, block one end and blow into the other, if it sounds like a trumpet, it's your problem. I got a 2nd hand one from Pick a Part for $12.

The Admiral

Quote from: Pristle on February 12, 2006, 03:49:29 PM
Before you jump to the head gasket, check the oil cooler. I found this to be a lot cheaper and faster to change. Mine is located between the engine and oil filter. To test it, block one end and blow into the other, if it sounds like a trumpet, it's your problem. I got a 2nd hand one from Pick a Part for $12.

Where is pickapart?

Ta!

hitmanGTI

they are all over the place

Takanini

Otahuhu

Avondale

other places too..

u gotta take a tool box etc to pull apart the crapped out cars

shay

Thanks for the speedy replies everyone.

I didn't think of the oil cooler being the problem until a mate suggested to check that first too. I think I would pefer that it was the oil cooler than the head gasket as it looks the easier of the two to tackle.

At least if it turns out to be the head gasket, hes going to help do it which is really good (hes a mechanic for Audi so I trust him with my wheels).

The oil cooler does make sense as the part where the left hose (looking from the front) has been getting rather corrded from the coolant, so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it

shay

It seems it was the oil cooler causing the problem. We changed it over today and I am in the process of getting rid of the crap out of the cooling system. The old cooler was absolutely farked. I opted for the brand new cooler approach rather than pick a part ( Don't have them here in Christchurch and don't know if the wreckers here would have one anyway) and total cost was $121.

gfunk

you haven't got the green gti with clear taillights and 17" mags have you, if so it is another one of cynics old cars. A damn nice mk2, pristine condition

shay

No mine is a lowered red 8v big bumpered Gti. Are you in Chch Gfunk?

Was that the green Gti that was at Miles continental mid-last year? If so I had a look at it when they were sellling it

orggti

Those oil coolers are great arnt they, good you bought a new one if its your car and your keeping it, thats a good price anyway. i got given a mk 2 with a blown head gasket that turned out to be the cooler and yea $12 bucks from pickapart fixed that. Anyone want a good 8v GTi 1.8 motor? with slightly noisy valve gear Ie shims to thin now but better than to tight.

Viktro

I've seen that Green GTi as well, I didn't get a chance to go over and take a look but from a distance it looked pretty damn tidy.
Victor Yuen // Automotive Photographer
www.victoryuenphotographer.co.nz

Period_Correct_

Quote from: Viktro on February 18, 2006, 09:49:27 AM
I've seen that Green GTi as well, I didn't get a chance to go over and take a look but from a distance it looked pretty damn tidy.

that GTi was sold for a really good price as well...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

shay

When I saw that green gti, they wanted $7000 for it

Period_Correct_

it didnt last long when it was advertised, did it??
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26