get-the-quattro-running project

Started by audire, October 22, 2011, 09:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

00quattro00

Are you going to stick with old kjet or go efi? Its so restrictive on turbo cars
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

John Stone

Quote from: audire on December 06, 2011, 09:11:30 PM
Thanks John & 00basil00, your advice is much appreciated.

I should mention that the loom in this car has been pretty well hacked up when the car was converted for Targa use, to be honest I'd be pleasantly surprised if the problem wasn't caused by an electrical issue. I suspect that it is however.

I checked the resistance on the sensor this afternoon as per this page: http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/wiring/Typ85/mac01pin.html#28-25

It sat at about 23ohms, so this would suggest that the sensor is ok. I didn't have time to continue to checking resistance at the ECU end. Hopefully I'll have some time later in the week. I'll have another look at the cap, leads etc then too. The engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago, so mechanically it should be sound. Electrically, well....

Another question - what engine temp does your ur usually run at John?

George

Replacing all those small vacuum hoses may help, it's certainly a low cost fix. I would check enrichment (that small solenoid at the end of a vacuum hose) on the bulkhead bracket that should click when you turn on the ignition/rotate the throttle to activate the wot switch and as Basil suggests check the wastegate - should have two diaphragm gaskets. 

Water temp runs right in the middle of range, oil also midrange on the road*, however slight earthing problem gives a small oil temp lift if I switch on the fan/radio etc. Probably coming from the large earth connection above the left side footwell.

*Goes higher on the track
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

Quote from: John Stone on December 07, 2011, 06:27:55 AMWater temp runs right in the middle of range, oil also midrange on the road

The OEM gauge was replaced with one by VDO with the temp in fahrenheit. Does the OEM gauge have any sort of scale/markings in degrees?

Regards,

George
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

John Stone

Quote from: audire on December 07, 2011, 08:26:30 AM
The OEM gauge was replaced with one by VDO with the temp in fahrenheit. Does the OEM gauge have any sort of scale/markings in degrees?
Regards,
George
Will check my owners handbook tonight, that has temps listed.
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

I had a look through a scanned version I have here. Normal range is 50 to 120 deg celsius or 122 to 248 deg fahrenheit. I was a bit concerned when it was sitting at 200 fahrenheit yesterday, but according to these numbers it's within limits
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

00quattro00

Is it running standard boost pressure?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

audire

==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

John Stone

Quote from: audire on December 07, 2011, 07:09:48 PM
yep, standard at 2 bar max

I had a look through a scanned version I have here. Normal range is 50 to 120 deg celsius or 122 to 248 deg fahrenheit. I was a bit concerned when it was sitting at 200 fahrenheit yesterday, but according to these numbers it's within limits

You should see around 1.7 bar and only two sectors lit-up on the kinda flakey quattro boost gauge. If it goes to 3sectors you could be heading towards 2 bar.
The 1 bar displayed at mid point is atmospheric pressure (1 bar) - the boost itself is .7 or in good old imperial around 10psi.
Upping the boost without attention to getting the fueling spot-on is risky as running lean and pinking will not be apparent at 5k revs and beyond :'(
I have heard of cars running as high as 14psi on K jet but I'm not game....

When I'm running the car on the track water temp may only shift one notch up from normal. Not sure what that indicates in fahrenheit but as you've noted yours is within the normal range
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

Apologies for digging up this dormant thread, but the project is still going - it has just been on hold for the past few months.

I've still got the issue of the miss at 4000rpm. As I posted earlier, the temp sensor is ok, as is the wiring back to the ECU.

I'd like to have an auto electrician look at the car. Can anybody reccommend someone familiar with Quattros?
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

audire

Spoke to Giltrap's this morning & they put me in touch with Automasters on New North Road.

Had the car towed there & was pleased to find another Ur sitting in their parking lot:

==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

John Stone

I'm really interested in the outcome of this, the 4000rpm stumble is symptomatic of a failed air temp sensor and the scary thing is.....
They are NLA, although some clever person on the quattroforum was threatening to create one, not an easy task to get the resistance correct :-\
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

Will keep the thread updated as things progress.

I had the car down to Continentals a few days before the Ellerslie car show - I broke a wire going to the hall sender in the distributor. Tried to solder it back together but found it a bit fiddly. CCS rebuilt the distributor & also removed the thermostat for me.

The engine is idling rough too; they disconnected the idle switch and it seems to be better now. They tried to tell me that the switch was faulty, but a simple test with a multimeter proved this theory incorrect.

At Ellerslie we bypassed the switch for the radiator fan such that it runs constantly in an effort to keep the temperature down. Turns out it wasn't kicking in as it should, so likely the switch is bad. Something else to fix  :)
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

S1

Love your car mate  , hope you can get your car going for Targa , would be good to some more 4 rings entered . The new Euroline RS4 will be a treat
whats broken this week , hold on ill get my wallet

00quattro00

The best thing to do with the kjet is to take it all off and put it in the bin, esp for a race car
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

John Stone

I'm coming to Ak this weekend, got a race meeting on Sunday, but if you are around on Saturday and have the car handy.....
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

It's on New North Road and will probably be there for the rest of the week. I'm (very optimistically) hoping to take it to Hampton Downs for the open day on Saturday. Could be fun. Could also kill the car  ??? I'll keep you updated.

The K Jetronic isn't going anywhere too quickly due to $$$ - but if we were to replace it, what would you recommend?

George
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

00quattro00

Quote from: audire on April 30, 2012, 07:42:57 PM
It's on New North Road and will probably be there for the rest of the week. I'm (very optimistically) hoping to take it to Hampton Downs for the open day on Saturday. Could be fun. Could also kill the car  ??? I'll keep you updated.

The K Jetronic isn't going anywhere too quickly due to $$$ - but if we were to replace it, what would you recommend?

George

depending on how much you want to spend, but it would be pretty hard to go past a vems ecu, or an 034motorsport, also plenty of support for the 5cyl with both of those options
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

John Stone

Came across this info today.... 4000rpm cut out when air temp sensor faulty and when idle switch is not working. You mention the idle is poor??
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

audire

Quote from: John Stone on May 01, 2012, 12:15:26 PM
Came across this info today.... 4000rpm cut out when air temp sensor faulty and when idle switch is not working. You mention the idle is poor??

That's very interesting. I'll pass this on to the mechanic working on the car. Where did you find this info?

Regards,

George
==
'96 Audi S2
'84 ur quattro 10v

John Stone

Quote from: audire on May 01, 2012, 12:20:12 PM
That's very interesting. I'll pass this on to the mechanic working on the car. Where did you find this info?
Regards,
George

Saw it this morning in a post on the quattroforum, there is a current topic on the airtemp sensor being NLA and efforts to replicate it. First time I've seen mention of the idle switch also causing the cut-out at 4000rpm.
Interestingly my idle switch appears to have failed very recently, took the car for a road test to check some issues ahead of Sunday and had no cut-out at 4000rpm. Disconnect a wire to the switch and the idle speed goes up to the correct level, so not sure what's up at the moment. Somewhere I have a spare switch.......
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5