Newby here wanting a Wagon

Started by gen-8, October 22, 2011, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gen-8

hi all im new here and hope to become a Audi owner in the near Future..

im a Legnum VR4 Guru and have been customising and building these up for over 6 years now..and as they are getting old and are no longer a kept production vehicle its time to move to something better.....
but since my visit to the Audi yard yesterday i have Audi fever after a descreet meet with a 2007 A4 s line wagon..
but at a used price of $44k im a little shy of lol.. so i lbe looking into moving into a 2002-2005 model B6 i believe?

but i need help,the do's and donts of what im after please.
my criteria is:

Must be a Station Wagon.
have the Recaro Seats from a 2007
be round the $8-$18k mark(NZ)
Sunroof

now things ill change upon owning one will be:

Painting it Black
updating the front cut to a later model(B7 or B8)
Bigger Motor if the 1.8 or 2.0
2007 Recaro S line Interior(leather 2 tone black on grey)
Manual Conversion

and my questions are:

whats interchangeable on these bwtween the sedan and the wagon
are the engines upgradeable(ie if i got a 1.8 could i drop a v6 or v8 version into it?0
are the interiors interchangeable?

at the end i would like to have built a Audi S Line Replica of a 2007 wagon using the 2002-2005 shell
my customising skills are endless with being a certified welder,fibreglasser and carbon fibre fabricator,i make all my own bodykits,elecrtrics,etc.
i am building a Legnum Ute as we speak so im serious about acheiving my criteria but as you people are the GURUS of the Audi world im a newby that doesnt know a thing about these luxury vehicles
i apreciate any sort of help or advice
many thanx in advance
~Q~

Turbo

you could skip the engine conversion and spend that money getting a B6 S4. then add your kit to that? comes with 340hp stock V8. should be able to get one for 30k. (same chassis as the B6 S4)
(12k more than youre budget, but figure you'd spend 12k converting to V8 and manual trans, plus uprating drivetrain, brakes and suspension etc to handle the extra power.) just buying an audi V8 block would be close to 10K i'd have thought? you might get lucky with a demo though. even then, they don't go cheap.

here's one that's already black with recaros and sunroof. tiptronic unfortunately, but hunt around and you'd get a 6spd manual.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-415557321.htm

that said, if you get the 1.8 turbo, you'd be able to crank out some decent power with chip/remap, larger turbo, exhaust and DPs. 330-360hp maybe. chip alone would get 210-220hp

this is tipo again, but keep hunting.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-405973863.htm

or go for the 3.0 V6.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-417104308.htm

as for sedan and avant body panels, i believe everything is shared from the nose to the rear doors. interiors would be the same situation.

oh, welcome by the way.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

gen-8

thank you very much for all the info my friend.
well being a family of a V and not an I motor most my time id prefer keeping to a V i think,but if the 1.8 can produce what my Vr4 produces then theres obviously potential there then correct?
i can then facelift nosecut the front to a B7 or B8,was told the 7 wil lbolt straight on just need to retro fit the front guards to suit

beeker

Quote from: gen-8 on October 22, 2011, 10:18:39 PM
thank you very much for all the info my friend.
well being a family of a V and not an I motor most my time id prefer keeping to a V i think,but if the 1.8 can produce what my Vr4 produces then theres obviously potential there then correct?
i can then facelift nosecut the front to a B7 or B8,was told the 7 wil lbolt straight on just need to retro fit the front guards to suit

Look up APR and the turn key options the have for the 1.8T.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

gen-8

i like that site ,thanx heaps guys, so tell me ...

being a VR4 Owner with 312kw form a 2.5 twinny your honest opinion do you think the 1.8 will make me proud or ?
dont suppose theres anyone in the lower north that has 1 that can show me ??
when i purchase i want to make sure iv explored all avenues..

even considering buing a damaged import and then welding the new front on

frostmotorsport

that 3.0 above is a nice car - I was looking at it when I was hunting for a wagon.   Dan is a nice guy, so give him a ring and chat about it.  I actually was going to buy it months ago but he never returned my call, so I ended up with my S4 :) his loss, my gain ultimately!

Did drive a 3.0 and they are a very nice wagon, esp. with the Tip gearbox! 

can't go past an S4 if you can afford it tho.  Just make sure you can afford to run it, not just buy it!

EDIT: that S4 in the first link/first post is frickin nice!  I would go for that.  Just make sure you know what you're getting in for wrt ongoing maintenance.  And I think if you drive the 6-speed Tip you won't ever look at a manual gearbox again!
I wouldn't have road rage if morons didn't have a drivers licence!

gen-8

thank you for the headsup,with owning 4 twin turbos im usedto the running costs and only use 98 octane,so im not scared of the costs.

as for maintenance and repairs,i do it all myself so in a few years il lknow these cars inside out like i do the legnum and galants too..but all in time..
Dan wants 15 for that but i dont know if it is worth it or not,im really uncertai nwich model is the price holder
hence why i turn to you guys,the brains lol
what bout this 1
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=416133946

Period_Correct_

save up and get an RS4.... game over!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

gen-8

usually your born and you learn to crawl before you walk right? soooo my theory is if  wish to know more bout thses vehicles inside and out i need to start down bottom and work my way up to the mighty ultimate rs4 lol

frostmotorsport

Quote from: gen-8 on October 23, 2011, 03:23:45 PM
thank you for the headsup,with owning 4 twin turbos im usedto the running costs and only use 98 octane,so im not scared of the costs.

Oh dude!  you're cute!  LOL.

You. Have. NO. Idea.... !!!

I've run most everything there is to have, and am currently rebuilding my GTR, amongst other cars - but Audis are a whole different world!

gen-8

Quote from: frostmotorsport on October 23, 2011, 08:45:44 PM
Oh dude!  you're cute!  LOL.

You. Have. NO. Idea.... !!!

I've run most everything there is to have, and am currently rebuilding my GTR, amongst other cars - but Audis are a whole different world!

sorry bud im married already lol..
um so you mean theyr much better or ?? i mscared to make the move being in the Legnums for over 6 years as you may know you tend to become comfortable in what you know,like a baby to the tit lol...

im liking Dans one alot more now but then theres this 1 that seems to win me over aswell but Dans can acheive that stance aswell
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=416623602

RS ZWEI

gen-8, Do you have pics of your Legnum?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

frostmotorsport

no, worse than most Japanese cars!  Parts cost bigger $ and there is (as a generalisation) more to go wrong.  Euros don't tend to be made for longevity, though I suspect that stands for any automotive manufacturer.... as long as it lasts for the duration of the factory warranty - as after that, the more it breaks down, the more they get to cahrge you for stuff!!

The one in the link you posted is a nice wagon, but (IMO) a bit pricey for an 02 3.0....  but again, just my opinion...

(oh and I meant "cute" like niave not cute like cute.... ;) )

gen-8

Quote from: frostmotorsport on October 24, 2011, 02:27:07 PM
no, worse than most Japanese cars!  Parts cost bigger $ and there is (as a generalisation) more to go wrong.  Euros don't tend to be made for longevity, though I suspect that stands for any automotive manufacturer.... as long as it lasts for the duration of the factory warranty - as after that, the more it breaks down, the more they get to cahrge you for stuff!!

The one in the link you posted is a nice wagon, but (IMO) a bit pricey for an 02 3.0....  but again, just my opinion...

(oh and I meant "cute" like niave not cute like cute.... ;) )
lol i know i know was only joking lol.. i understand what your saying but you have 1 so why cant i lol..  i thaught 15k for a  wagon was not too bad?

gen-8

gen-8

id swap it for the right Audi lol..

frostmotorsport

i meant the silver one being too much $$$ for age & mileage.  Dan's is probably about right, despite the higher mileage.  And a nicer looking and specced car if you ask me.

00quattro00

Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

gen-8

how and whats the differences between the B and the C platforms? like whats different bout them and what makes a C better than a B or so on??
many thanx for the great answers and help guys and for putitng up with my dumbness lol

00quattro00

C chassis is bigger than the B chassis
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t