04 Polo Manual Gearbox

Started by thorns, October 27, 2011, 10:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorns

Hi, first post here.

My wife has just got her 04 1.4 manual Polo back from its latest service, as it makes a kind of chugging sound under load. It seems the gearbox is on the way out, Miles Continental couldnt really say what is wrong, just quoted large amounts of money to try remedy it. Starting with about 1800 just to drop the box to strip it and inspect it. $3600 for a second hand box, or $7500 for a reconditioned box ex singapore.

Has anyone had any experience or heard of gearbox issues on the Polos before?  The car has 69000kms on the clock, NZ new and full service history.  The prices quoted, are just not worth it for a $8-9000 car.   I have rang a few places to try source a 2nd hand box on my own, but still the prices are high due to it seemingly being quite rare.   

Thanks

Toro

Do you have the code of the gearbox ?

As usual it may be the same (different gear ratio) used in other models.

thorns

The gearbox code is GKT according to Qualitat.   

the phantom

a mate has a 2000ish GTI he's had from new, I think German Automotive on the Shore either rebuilt or got a recond box for his
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

SOFTLAD

Is this gearbox the one that has the rivets on the differential that wear and shear causing further damage, very common fault?

b0000st

I sourced a manual box for my 96 Polo from the UK for 75 quid thats where I would be looking. 2nd hand manual boxes seem to be extortionate in NZ I was quoted $4k for mine  :o

Toro

What sort of gearbox are we talking about?

Is this the 02J type?

I have the feeling that is not a very common one.... or at least there isn't a lot of info online.

rambo_005

It will be the 085 type trans, won't it?