S6 5 pot turbo motor engine speed sensor

Started by BB, November 28, 2011, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

I have a car here that wont rev out, it runs smoothly but has no power. Codes say its the engine speed sensor.
I have however unpluged the two flywheel sensors one at a time and the car wont start, pluged back in its starts first pop.
Also did this to the sensor at the front of the motor with the plug at the end of the injector rail.
Anybody know which one for sure of these three is the engine speed sensor?
Any other ideas?
Thanks
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

RS ZWEI

IIRC with my old VR6 the engine speed sensor came up on the scan when the car wasnt running.
I think its the same with my RS2?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

wilco

Nic some models if not all give that error as when the engine is not running there is no signal from the engine speed sensor, so logs it as a fault. I was caught with that a while ago with an ABT engine.  Technically it's a fault by not an error, if that makes sense. It seems to be around the '93-'96 era fo ecu's.  No doubt there'll be other know-it-alls who will want to correct me...
However for BB, it may be that as revs increase the signal is getting confused.  In saying that, the sensor itself is pretty simple pulse sensor so they don't go crook often.
The one at the front is often a timing sensor, one of the bellhousing ones is the rpm sensor but then if there are two in the bellhousing one the other is timing, ie TDC. Is it an AAN motor?

5-pot

I always thought the RPM sensor was the one on the bellhousing counting flywheel teeth.  Other other is the TDC sensor and the target is usually a pin on the opposite side of the clutch, on the flywheel.  Try and find a known good sensor and swap that in.  It's a solid state sensor so they don't go wrong often but oil, water and heat take a toll on things.  Especially electronics.

I'm not familiar with the AAN though.  Do they have cam position sensors on the head?  It might be getting engine speed info from that.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

Thanks for that info Nik and Wilco :)
I think your correct its logging that code as I read the codes with the ignition on but no engine running.
It also give a charcoal solenoid code but I doubt that would make a difference.
Thing is I did disconnect them all one at a time and the car would not start with any of the three disconnected so they must be working.

i have removed the old fuel filter as it was reported that the car had also gotten hard to start and felt short on fuel so hope this maybe works out.
Or maybe its got a boost leak?
I replaced the plastic bypass valve thing and the new one was way harder to push with my finger.

I must say this old beast has got over 300kms on it and seems to pretty much all still work ;) I think they are one of the good models.
Ill report if the filter makes it go better.

RS ZWEI

Boost leaks normally make the car have an uneven idle.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

00quattro00

The one at the front is the cam angle sensor, then there is the two on the bell housing, Im not sure which is which, it will probably be the same sensor used on other engines, whats it boosting to?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

00quattro00

Quote from: BB on November 28, 2011, 09:59:56 PM
No boost at all. Smooth but gutless as.

Waste gate not closing for some reason?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

I was thinking that but normally you can hear the turbo spooling but no boost?

beeker

Probably no help, buy when my speed sensor failed on my B7 RS4, it wouldn't start at all. Cranked ok, but no fire.
PS took 2 weeks for the part!!! And that was with a fancey pants audi warranty.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

No that helps Beeker as that's what I believe also if the speed sensor was faulty the car would not start.
  As I say I have disconnected individually all three sensors and the car won't start but then does when I reconnect them.
I am going to do the fuel filter today and I will then look at the waste gate if that's not the cure.

SimonS2

S2 gives speed sensor error if plugged in to VAGCom and not running.
When you say 'won't rev out' do you mean revs are restricted, or it revs but no power?

qta4

Cam angle sensor on my 1.8t causes similar problems and engine will run unplugged.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

BB

Thanks guys.
I have replaced the filter and it runs better. It has a boost leak. I am sure it would run well if the leak is fixed so I am going to have to strip the intake AND exhaust down and fit gaskets etc.
I can hear it leaking boost.

BB

This old post is still cursing me.
After a lot of peril we are back to the same place. No power.
Its starting and running fine, No codes. But no power.
We have held the brakes on and boosted it in gear, the intake hoses definitely swell and get hard to push , I will fit a gauge.
Things that have been done.
Exhaust welded, waste gate repaired and holds 10psi is what I was told. Inter cooler pressure tested no leaks.

Do they have a lifter pump? Could it be fuel? Fuel pump? Air flow meter? Again no codes, they all came up as I had unpluged everything and turned on the ignition but when i cleared then and did a boost run again no codes came back up.
O2 sensor? Faulty ECU? It just goes flat feeling when you try and power it, it does also make a turbo wooshing sound but after looking under the bonnet on boost I dont think there is a leak in the hoses etc.
I replace the waste gate. Turbo all cleaned and is ok, new gaskets mostly.

And lastly where is the engine ecu in a S6?

00quattro00

Ecu is under the carpet in the passenger footwell
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

What do you recon Basil?
Ive done like 3 grands work to the bloody thing and now I want to get it finished.
I stripped the whole intake including turbos off it looking for the leaks and found some issues like a cracked manifold then all the bolts snapped when refitting it, head off all studs done new valve guide seals head set was bloody pricey did the steering gater holy hells a poppin.

Its always Audis that do this too me >:D Mind you I don't get to work on much old Jap turbo crap and I never would allow myself to get involved, it would be even worse.....I have done some work on them actually. Subarus and others  ::)

00quattro00

I say pull the engine out and send it down here >:D Have you tried another maf?
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Yea you would say that.
No I haven't tried another MAF. Maybe Scott would let me borrow his..........maybe not, this person would definitely let somebody borrow his if their S6 had this issue :angel: :angel:

Oh another very important clue is that it did it suddenly apparently , plus it did it then it got better then it did it again and stayed bad.
I tried blocking off the idle valve as that did click open and closed but there was always a small gap and you could blow though it even when closed, It still didn't perform with it blocked off tho and was hard to start and wouldn't idle properly.