Latest edition to the family....my new baby

Started by .:Ross, December 28, 2011, 09:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:Ross

Well it been a long time coming (Toby can testify to this  :laugh:) but i finally got my finger out and phoned the guy stating...I WANNA BUY IT ASAP!!!! Had been brewing in my head for over a year now and i couldn't ignore the voices any longer. So after a few phonecalls i went to pick her up today, and to be honest it looked better than i remembered. After packing up some emergency tools and grabbing the battery out the GTi, the mrs and i set off on our mission to pick it up, fully aware that it hadn't moved more than a few feet in a long long time.

Met the fella and exchanged the usual pleasantries as i surveyed my soon to be new car. Chucked in the battery and with baited breath i turned the key and viola she goes. Happy days!!!!!
Has a few scrapes, scratches and dings but they're mostly on the kit so can sort that easy enough, interiors abit scruffy but nothing a decent vacuum won't make a noticable improvement...maybe  :-\

After picking her up, drove it back across the crown range from Wanaka to Queenstown, plenty of camper vans cruising along at 60 to detract away from me cautiously doing the same  ::) listening intently for anything alarming....nothing to major (touch wood), but all up a very enjoyable drive...was well surprised. After rolling back into Queenstown took it straight to the WOF station, who after telling me the last fail checklist was massive, scrutinized the hell out of her and informed me that she was good enough for a ticket.... :o :o :o

Not sure what the plan is yet....just enjoy it and turn some attention towards her small "characteristics"  ;D ;D

Have chucked a few photos on here, let me know what you think, chucked the BBS' in front just as an idea....big thanks to Phil (Got them to open on Christmas, cheers mate).

choppy16v

Filx

Looks mint - refurb those BBS RS maybe with colour matched centres would look awesome! (PS - glad they got there on time, thanks for your patience mate)
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

M M

Bought not built.

BB

Fantastic car for that part of the country. Id love to do some south island driving in that.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Yeah I'm pretty stoked with it, not bad for a grand  8) Took it for a decent run this afternoon with the hood down, really needs a good service and the gearbox linkage is stuffed, can't really find fifth gear...at all  :-\ Need to try and sort that as soon as. Looked at a couple of kits one from volksbits for $50 and awesome for $200 (Neuspeed kit)....any info any body has had in this area please let me know, cheers.

Quote from: Filx on December 29, 2011, 08:53:35 AM
Looks mint - refurb those BBS RS maybe with colour matched centres would look awesome! (PS - glad they got there on time, thanks for your patience mate)

All good mate, wasn't in any rush, need to find another 3 centres before i consider refurbing them  ;)

BB

Just get a linkage kit from Qualitat. They cost about $30 bucks and will have your shift as good as new unless some one has undone the clamp. Then you may just need to reset that which is not so hard.
Don't worry about fitting the whole kit if you only need a few bits to make it good again, as the parts down at the shifter end mean you have to remove the exhaust.
But do the shaft orange bush, grind the old rivets off and then use the rivets they give you and pound them over with a hammer. Easy, work.
The shift rods (on top of the gearbox) do actually have a best way to go around as the angles at the end are slightly different and the can bind and prematurely wear the bushes if you fit them wrong.

Toby

Still looks as good now as a year ago - gonna have to come on over in the newyear and have a proper look - If I was you tho I would clear that red thing out of your garage and make room for the cabby - I may know someone who wants to buy it - hehehehe - see you soon
.....the best way to spoil a good walk!!

Going to do a decent service on the old girl at some stage in the next week. Seeing as shes been sitting around for a long time and I'm not sure on it's history.

The list goes....new cambelt & tentioner, vbelt,new spark plugs, fuel filter and oil filter. Now am I right in thinking that I should change the water pump aswell seeing as it's all off and how much do they usually cost?? And what oil should I use now she's getting abit older?? Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there??

00quattro00

Might as well do the water pump while its all apart, get a new housing as well, easier than removing broken bolts from the old one, and dont for get to order an o ring for the water pump housing as well
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

sifty

Quote from: ScottishRoss on December 29, 2011, 09:29:41 PM
All good mate, wasn't in any rush, need to find another 3 centres before i consider refurbing them  ;)

Let me know when you want to sell the snowflakes.  8)  I'd like a set.

Oh, and crap! good buying dude!!!  Your garage will look something like mine.  ;D

BB

If the water pump is ok then leave it as you don't need to remove the cambelt to do a golf pump.
  But if its a bit old and crap do it, and also make sure the rubber hoses and the steel hose is good.
And yea get a new housing and o-ring as Basil says if you do do the water pump.

spooln

There must be some sets floating around NZ. Pretty sire the photos of lanes garage showed a set of these.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Does anybody have alot of experience swapping water pumps over in Mk1's, specifically the housing unit. Have researched alittle and most people recon the bolts shear when u try to remove them so just get housing aswell. Been quoted $175 for pump and housing through VW (they think it will be this price but will get back to me??  ??? ) They want the unit to be exchanged and require my old unit to be cleaned thoroughly??

So where I'm going with this is......do the bolts shear really easily or should i wing it and try to remove it. Any advice from anyone who has done this would be handy cheers.

vdubdave

I've taken several off in my time, most recently off the cab when I had the engine out. I've never snapped a single bolt. I think they're M5 so will only take 40 or 50 Nm before they snap so care is required. My replacement one was a topran so not genuine but still German. A little known detail is that they were made with 2 different thicknesses of gasket which affects the clearance of the pulley to the bottom timing belt cover. The fatter one is preferrable. I doubt you've got aircon so whip the mouning bolts out and tap the housing until it cracks off. Avoid trying to lever it off unless you put something in the pipe and lever it. Dents in the sealing face on the block would be a nightmare. Good luck!
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

BB

If the bolts are seized they will snap nothing you can do about it. But try first.
Make sure you remove the whole housing from the side of the block, no need to remove the cambelt.

Thoroughly cleaned ::) ::)

Cheers boys. Think i'm going to give it a shot over the weekend....will spray her up and see what happens, just take my time, will order another housing anyway tomorrow. Got a feeling I know how it'll turn out  :'(