1.8t polo purchase advice

Started by VeeDub, January 13, 2012, 09:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeeDub

Friend is looking for one this shape:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/auction-433754102.htm

She's looking for a NZ new one. What do we need to know when looking at these things?

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

ranton-inc

Probably simlar things as the mkIV GTI

not like the old Polo GTI which was a bag of Crap...

GLIDN

Quote from: VeeDub on January 13, 2012, 09:18:57 AM
Friend is looking for one this shape:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/auction-433754102.htm

She's looking for a NZ new one. What do we need to know when looking at these things?

as Anton Quoted, basically a MK4 really, just maybe a little grown up?
Easy to upgrade the software, Much more punch afterwards, 110kw to 143kw's may even be 149kw's.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Filx

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

GLIDN

Quote from: Filx on January 13, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
Get a 3 door  :laugh:  8)

I would suggest that one too, but they want NZ new version?
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

polo_GTI

3 Doors are over rated!  ;D I like my 5 door, to me it just seems better balanced in terms of shape. There is one NZ new 3 door which is a red one.

Look out for gearbox crunch from 1st to 2nd past 5500rpm. They are a little noisy but otherwise should be reliable. (gearbox that is)

That's about it really from I can think of?

NZ '06 Polo GTI 9n3 REVO Stage2 / H&R springs / Whiteline adjustable sway bars / EBC / SS brake lines / APR mount / Uprated bushes / Forge DV / 3" Downpipe / ECS flywheel / 4barFR / Seat intake / K&N / Forge strut
NZ '06 Golf GTI DSG, Xenon, Leather, Reverse sensor / Bluefin Stage 1

80 Vert

Ok our one isn't a GTI but still a 3 door 9N, exectionally nice cars to drive and well put together.
Great little car, well not so little actually  ;D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

polo_GTI

Yup Vert is right - it's been quite economical to run. Weighs full take - wet weight 1220kg. I think Golf GTI weighs around 1530kg. With simple tune up you can get 140kw at wheels + 350nm torque. That's good power to weight ratio.

;-)

Well put together generally.
NZ '06 Polo GTI 9n3 REVO Stage2 / H&R springs / Whiteline adjustable sway bars / EBC / SS brake lines / APR mount / Uprated bushes / Forge DV / 3" Downpipe / ECS flywheel / 4barFR / Seat intake / K&N / Forge strut

Mike1410

Why insisting on NZ new - surely it's more important to have a full service record regardless of which country it was sold new in? and, no doubt an NZ new one will have been fed only on a diet of 91 petrol  ' because the man at the garage said it was ok'  ;D

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

80 Vert

Disagree, Polo is a better looking car and furthermore I'd never buy another small diesel car as the Road User Charge is a complete rip off.
Easily adds another $500 odd for 10,000km.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

brian

+1
Small diesels, especially doing realatively low k's is a total waste of money.
At one time, I thought the govt would address this but that will never happen
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

polo_GTI

I would have to agree... Polo GTIs when I was on Stage 1 REVO - it was doing average 6-7 litres / 100 km on long distance trips, and about 5.5 litres / 100km when I was doing motorways at 100km/h.

With REVO Stage 2 - unfortunately it has increased about about 1.5 litres /km to average 8.5 to 8.8 litres/100km from WGE to AKL. This is when you are gunning it at around 110-120km/h with bursts of overtake at faster pace.

It's a very economical car at Stage 1 or at factory tune.

Just not worth the hassle of RUC + more expensive registration. Especially if you do lower mileage / year.

And Polo GTI looks miles better than Fabia... to my eyes. Lots of tuning parts available for Polo GTIs too, and a lot of them can be used from MK4 Golf GTIs.

polo_GTI

I hope she gets a nice one.

To be honest, I used to change cars every 2-3 years, usually get bored out of them (main reason to switch). Reliability obviously is a major issue if there is something wrong, you should get out reasonably fast, and that was the case for 2 of my previous cars.

I have had my car since mid 2007, and the car was one year old, and got it off a VW dealer who had a previous lady driver wanted to change to bigger car as she was pregnant. Polo GTI was rare then, and it was the only one on Trademe. I didn't even know what to look out for, and took the plunge and bought one. Didn't know VASK existed then.

I had a friend who just bought a 60k Golf GTI the year before, and at the time I laughed; thinking why would you want to spend that much money to get a car with only 147kw and small hatchback. Boy I was wrong when I drove his car, and really loved it. I at the time couldn't afford to get Golf GTI MK5, and heard good things about the Polo so went for one.

It is one of the best cars I have driven for its money. I am not just talking about power it makes. It is practical, and when seats folded can take large amount of luggage (big supermarket shopping loads are fine with just boot alone), has been reliable for me, and economical to run. Yes, I have been doing mods and services quite regularly so it has added up in price.

However, the car I bought at the time in 2007 is worth still quite a lot in 2012 (I would hope), and I haven't lost 30k during the process of 4.5 years compared to my friend's Golf GTI. With right mods (if I were to start again, I would just go with most bang for buck mods), the car will make good dose of power (talking 125kw at wheels and torque around 300nm) with stage 1, in a car that only weighs around 1100kg. With stage 2 you can get 140-145kw / torque around 350nm and above), but you do pay for your fuel for that extra 'oomph'. The torque gain from Stage 1 to Stage 2 is quite a lot and you can feel the difference.

I think it has been a great car overall, and been versatile as daily driver + track racing (only tracked 3 times in it). Can take family around and even baby at the back in the future hopefully. I can't see any other car that I can purchase currently for the money I paid that would do the same job and stay reliable.

Mods I would recommend:
1) PD160 intake pipe with K&N if easily obtainable (or Jabbasport one)
2) iPod kit ;-)
3) REVO Stage 1 (Stage 2 gets fuel consumption up)
4) Tyre change from 205/45/16 to 205/50/16 (a lot more comfortable).
5) Front bushes replaced with solid bushing from Skoda
6) Whiteline sway rear sway bar

Then just enjoy the car! ;-)

dubstar

Another fan of the Polo GTI here.

Had mine for almost 3 years and its a great car.  Would highly recommend a 3 door with leather!

They are also really spacious.  We are renovating at the mo and it can fit  2.7m pieces of timber/downpipe/whatever without any fuss ;D
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

polo_GTI

Yeah - wish I had a choice to get leather. If I do keep the car for much longer, custom leather interior is something I was thinking about. Dark tanned leather in red GTI - should look good.

2.7meters! How the hell did you fit that in? I was thinking of bring in some MDF panels which were 2.3m and I just gave up without even trying. I am guessing all seats down and was it sitting on your dash???

How are you doing in Oz?