Black B5 Avant RS4 on TM

Started by moochier, January 17, 2012, 07:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

My RS is more or less a daily also, well probably 3 times a week I guess. Cars are meant to be driven :-)

tonyoh

Quote from: Airdynamic on March 07, 2012, 08:15:57 PM
Come take a look :D
how close to $30k are you going to come and/or what makes yours exceptional?
Chch is a wee way away...
:-)
rs4 wagon (B5)

M

The B6 S4 and the B5 RS4 shouldn't even be mentioned together.

Not that I am being a full of it RS4 owner, but they are just totally different cars.

S4 is a mile muncher with some get up and go, but it's not exciting at all.

RS4 is a hooligan machine, plain and simple. (Especially when mapped  :o).

If I wanted a nice daily commute car and lived in that terrible big city up North then an S4 would be a reasonable idea, but down here in Central Otago the RS4 is a perfect commuting vehicle.  ;D

Or just stump up and get the B7 RS4  ;D ;) Still an amazing machine, complete all rounder, even if a Viper'd B5 would demolish it.  ;D

And just to spice the thread up a little(I'd sell this for $38k........maybe):
Too much power is almost enough.

Airdynamic

Hi M, what are the wheels you are running? Name and size? They look really good.

I wish I could get a work ute and keep my RS  :-\

le mans

Yes a little hard to see in that pic but they look interesting. Quite a deep concave by the looks of it.

I know the B6 S4 and B5 RS4 are totally different cars but because they are in a similar price bracket at the moment they are inevitably compared. I know which one I would have (and do). And if you're going to start whoring pics of your car I'll do the same lol.

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Airdynamic

Quote from: tonyoh on March 07, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

What I think makes it exceptional and what others think could be a world apart. But here is what I bought it:

• Low km was 105 when I bought it now 115
    Red always goes faster and is rare to see
    It a stock standard car, no one has messed with any of it (except a iPod connection to the CD changer cable - fully reversible)
    A full Gilltrap Audi service history from the day it was sold new in NZ (except the last service which was at Archibalds Audi here in Chch)
    Plus I just spent 5k checking "everything" and sorting all that was needed...well Audi did

Don't get me wrong - there are some wear bits on the car. It is more that 10 years old.

• Steering wheel and gear knob are showing ware
    the bottom plastic door trim has cracked in two places
    the under side of the front bumper has a mark on it from curbing
    the carpet around the clutch foot is wearing
    floor mats are not looking "new" any more :D

I will take pics today and post
Cheers
Air

Stickman

Quote from: Albacol on March 07, 2012, 06:46:29 PM
A friend wanted an RS but got a bit twitchy as nothing was coming up so he got an S. in his words "Everytime I see an RS a little bit inside of me dies when I think what I did not buying one" !!!

I had that same feeling with my B6 S4. They are GREAT cars, mine had MTM exhausts with K&N intakes and the V8 was just amazing, however it just was nowhere near the same as an RS model. Also little performance things, my S4 ran out of puff in the upper revs (like many V8's do) yet the RS4's pull hard to redline.
Then there is the styling, I like cars that are slightly understated in the aesthetics department, and the S4 certainly was understated given it's pretty good performance, however the RS4 just has those subtle bulges in all of the right places while still being subtle overall. (Something I am not sure the next gen RS4 will have looking at the release pics - although Giltraps reckon it will look the money in the flesh, but then they are biased).
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

Albacol

The photos of the real thing do indeed look fantastic however as I said before it is a long way to go to drop $70-80k on a B7 and $140+ on a new one. And an AUTOMATIC to boot  ;)

mikemas

Quote from: Stickman on March 08, 2012, 10:03:24 AM
I had that same feeling with my B6 S4. They are GREAT cars, mine had MTM exhausts with K&N intakes and the V8 was just amazing, however it just was nowhere near the same as an RS model. Also little performance things, my S4 ran out of puff in the upper revs (like many V8's do) yet the RS4's pull hard to redline.
Then there is the styling, I like cars that are slightly understated in the aesthetics department, and the S4 certainly was understated given it's pretty good performance, however the RS4 just has those subtle bulges in all of the right places while still being subtle overall. (Something I am not sure the next gen RS4 will have looking at the release pics - although Giltraps reckon it will look the money in the flesh, but then they are biased).

It's a good stepping stone though - the thought of noobs driving on the road in a 420hp+ car makes me slightly anxious!

I went from a 250hp V6 holden to an (estimated) 365hp s4; only now would I feel comfortable driving round in a 450hp+ car

That being said everyone's different..
Always slow down for Ka band!!

Turbo

Quote from: Airdynamic on March 07, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
Hi M, what are the wheels you are running? Name and size? They look really good.

I wish I could get a work ute and keep my RS  :-\
look like r34 skyline rims
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Airdynamic

Quote from: tonyoh on March 07, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

Mate, did you see the photos

tonyoh

Quote from: Airdynamic on March 08, 2012, 09:45:23 PM
Mate, did you see the photos
yes - outside looks fine, inside not quite so sure, but I guess it is hard to tell reality from the photo's.
Is this Rick Reids old car? Did it have a little fender bender at the front?
How much do you want or more to the point I guess, how much will you accept?  ;)

rs4 wagon (B5)

Stickman

Quote from: Albacol on March 08, 2012, 10:47:41 AM
The photos of the real thing do indeed look fantastic however as I said before it is a long way to go to drop $70-80k on a B7 and $140+ on a new one. And an AUTOMATIC to boot  ;)

Agreed, I have very little attraction to new one. The real killer for me is the auto box. Manual means manual.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

Stickman

Quote from: mikemas on March 08, 2012, 10:55:23 AM
It's a good stepping stone though - the thought of noobs driving on the road in a 420hp+ car makes me slightly anxious!

I went from a 250hp V6 holden to an (estimated) 365hp s4; only now would I feel comfortable driving round in a 450hp+ car

That being said everyone's different..

Definitely a good stepping stone. High powered cars are the same as the high powered sports bikes, they only go as fast as you make them go. I know which one bites worse too!

Not too many noobs can throw circa $100k at a car though. Only rich noobs and their kids...

Generally those who have got to the position of being able to afford such machines are not your typical boy-racer minded types.

The other thing, power to weight wise, it would not be at all hard to get say an Evo 8 or 9 that would eat an RS4 alive in acceleration, handling and braking. Point being, if you want to go fast and do silly things, there are many many options available.

I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

Brett

Quote from: Airdynamic on March 07, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
They're Rota grids....few sets on trademe at the mo  >:D ;)
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Airdynamic

Quote from: tonyoh on March 08, 2012, 10:03:26 PM
yes - outside looks fine, inside not quite so sure, but I guess it is hard to tell reality from the photo's.
Is this Rick Reids old car? Did it have a little fender bender at the front?
How much do you want or more to the point I guess, how much will you accept?  ;)

Outside is mint....I honestly could not tell you if was pranged, also Im not sure who owned it before me as I picked it up from a dealer.

Inside as I said the drivers carpet has ware as does the mat, the drivers plastic strip has a small broken section. Wheel and gear knob is alkantra so have worn. Drivers and front passenger door pulls have small scratches too.

I think $35 is a reasonable price given the km, history, overall condition and money spent on the last service.

If it helps, for this price I will personally deliver to North Island at my cost (say up to Wellington or Whanganui). 

Cheers
Air

deedub

Quote from: I <3 SPEEDBUMPS! on March 08, 2012, 10:30:26 PM
They're Rota grids....few sets on trademe at the mo  >:D ;)

Had a look and they are surprisingly affordable. Nice wheels.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

beeker

Quote from: Airdynamic on March 08, 2012, 10:31:00 PM
Outside is mint....I honestly could not tell you if was pranged, also Im not sure who owned it before me as I picked it up from a dealer.

Inside as I said the drivers carpet has ware as does the mat, the drivers plastic strip has a small broken section. Wheel and gear knob is alkantra so have worn. Drivers and front passenger door pulls have small scratches too.

I think $35 is a reasonable price given the km, history, overall condition and money spent on the last service.

If it helps, for this price I will personally deliver to North Island at my cost (say up to Wellington or Whanganui). 

Cheers
Air

A few notes and thoughts from an ex B5 RS4 owner:
> They 'all' wear a hole in the carpet next to the drivers foot rest
> You can get the steering wheel and gear knob fixed by Retro, reconditioned good as new.
> Seats, same again.
> There are some great auto plastic fix/restore companies out there now. They'll restore the interior trim to near new condition.
> Be intesretsing to see it on the dyno, and see if it has any sensor/maf/leak issues. They are often left undiagnosed.

Being honest, it looks in good condition, but not great (the photos focus on the cars faults, so easy to get negative). There are many which are worse, but then again only a few which are better and you may never find one for sale. For the right price you can fix all that stuff.

Best of luck to both the seller and any buyers.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Airdynamic

Quote from: beeker on March 09, 2012, 06:42:08 AM
A few notes and thoughts from an ex B5 RS4 owner:
> They 'all' wear a hole in the carpet next to the drivers foot rest
> You can get the steering wheel and gear knob fixed by Retro, reconditioned good as new.
> Seats, same again.
> There are some great auto plastic fix/restore companies out there now. They'll restore the interior trim to near new condition.
> Be intesretsing to see it on the dyno, and see if it has any sensor/maf/leak issues. They are often left undiagnosed.

Being honest, it looks in good condition, but not great (the photos focus on the cars faults, so easy to get negative). There are many which are worse, but then again only a few which are better and you may never find one for sale. For the right price you can fix all that stuff.

Best of luck to both the seller and any buyers.

Well said Beeker, thanks for the info.

I agree with you entirely, the pics do focus on the negatives as they are so few....I am not here to hide the issues and disappoint some one. if I could have two cars I would drive it as is and not fix any of it as I don't think it "needs" it.

If by some chance I manage to swing it and keep it, I will put it up on a dyno

Cheers
Air