Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Sitting on its wheels at last. Looks so good!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Worms

It'll be ready to come out of it's little bedroom soon!

Awesome work. Keep it up :-)

80 Vert

All jokes aside its been bloody awesome putting it together in that room, the perfect storage spot.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Worms

Agree! Not taking the piss.

Assembling something in mugarage, would involve lots of stuff falling on it, dust, fuss from the clothes dryer, people seeing, who you don't want to see it, etc etc etc.

You can hide away in yours, and get stuff done!

I wish I had more space... but my attic is a bit awkward to get cars into  8)

80 Vert

The next instalment of this on going saga to resurrect this old pile of junk involves wheels, when I started this I decided on 16" Porsche Fuchs right from the get go and thought fully polished was the way to go so I had the set fully polished and since Im far to lazy to polish wheels had them clear powder coated at Pro Coat. In all a saga by itself but then found out that there's 2 types of 16" Fuchs...................of course as luck would have it I had 3 of one type and 2 of the other  :P ( I had a set of 5)
I did have 2 other "correct" wheels but I'd already cut them up to make 3 piece wheels for the Porsche  :(
You'd only see it if you knew what to look for................which I do so that irritated me, hunt was on to find replacement wheels!
By pure fluke I found another VW nutter down country who had a set of 16"s on his car and he also didn't know about the difference but as it turned out his car had 2 of one type and 2 of the other and lucky for us both we needed each others wheels to make our sets "correct" pretty cool really.
Anyway where I was going with this before I went off on a tangent was that once fully polished and on the car I couldn't help but think something was missing and even my wife suggested they needed some black so I thought maybe detail them like the 15"s were done originally which would also tie in with the black roof.

Now I've detailed my share of Porsche wheels over the years and never a fun job or easy to get right, difficult to get the line right which breaks the polish / black.
So with these ones I made a cutter which mounts to the center bore of the rim and once the masking tape is in place the cutter then cuts a straight line right around the perimeter of the petals leaving you a clean line to mask to.

In all still crap loads of work and still not perfect but if I were to do it again I'd use line tape instead of masking tape so that there's a cleaner masking line but hey they are wheels after all which will get chipped  and scratched so....
3 done, one to go, well and truly sick of masking by now and with the day coming to an end I shouldn't have done the primer stage at this point, I should have done primer the next day and painted the black while the primer was still wet (what they call wet on wet)
I didn't and primed them then ran out of day and enthusiasm so left them till the next day, primer had dried so had to sand each wheel and once painted black it was quite difficult to remove the masking tape without lifting the primer in places, the things you learn!

Still, I think they'll be ok for my old pile  ;D
In all a huge pain in the ass but well worth the time.

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

Getting the motor going was the next item on the list to focus on, need to do the required 20 minute break in of the cam and lifters @ 2000rpm which just isn't going to work well while I faff around trying to get my fuel injection working so it was decided to do the break in on carbs then switch over to FI later.
In order to do the break in I really needed to finish the exhaust and the rest of the engine to a point where some carbs could be slapped on and run, The turbo I'm using is not internally gated so an external gate would be needed and with packaging limits as they are under the car space is at a premium already.
I didn't want the gate hanging out underneath somewhere in full view so that presented a few challenges of its own but in the end there was really only one place which made sense by coming off the collector at an angle with a pipe going upwards so that the outlet side of the gate can dump back in to the exhaust after the turbo.

Took the spring out of the gate so that it bypasses as much as possible since the turbo boost side won't be connected during break in while on carbs, also finished off the fan housing and all the other related cooling tins etc at the same time.
We'll be running it up on a test stand to make things easier and it also takes out any risk of damage to paint and body work.
This next week will be the telling tale of how that all works out.........or not!

80 Vert

My posts are catching up with where I'm currently at which can only mean I'm working too slow!
Since the motor is out again to be run on a test stand seemed a like a great time to start on wiring the fuel injection.
As I've mentioned before I'm going to attempt to adapt a Bosch motronic ME7.5 from a late MK4 Golf gti to run things, mainly because its free and highly tuneable.
Having wrecked plenty of these cars I've kept looms, all sensors, TB, injectors etc etc. My motor being a 2.0 and turbo is close enough to hopefully get things running and tweak it from there.
First thing was to start separating the wiring I need to retain and then look at building the ecu in to a stand alone type of deal where I just need grounds and power to run it so I made everything bolt on to the original ecu cradle which now houses all of the relays and fuses I need to run things.
Weeding out the un needed sensors and emissions stuff has reduced the wiring quite lot but there's still plenty to contend with.

The relay / fuse panel is also salvaged from the VW loom, might as well use it. Attached the diagnostic port to it as well keeping the whole thing neat and tidy.
I'm not running heaters in this car so I was able to run the wiring out through one of the heater tubes meaning once again no cutting or modification of the body needed.
The engine side of the harness will need extensive modification as locations on the engine are completely different but again its just a case of cutting to length and soldering.
Again a bunch of stuff deleted here which won't be used, I'll have to get a bunch of codes removed from the ecu but main focus first is to see if it will even run.

Mounted the ecu under the rear seat opposite the battery which seems like the ideal spot for it, don't know where my water tank for the water injection is going to live now but i'll have to deal with that later!

Filx

Can't wait to see if this works - might open up a whole new world of cheap / free tuning opportunities.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

le mans

80 Vert

Not sure yet Jon, Eurodyne is one option or I just have a tuner make the changes needed. My main focus is to see if it will even run with what I have first and then go from there.

80 Vert

The 2008cc turbo flat four lives!! much excite  >:D

Worms

80 Vert

Quote from: Worms on June 09, 2016, 09:08:54 PM
NICE! Where's the vid???  8)

I'll take a vid this weekend, pretty stoked actually.

deedub

Awesome! So it started and ran on the stock map? Very interesting....
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

80 Vert