Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkmaggit

Wow, this is amazing. Your fabrication skills are superb!  ;D

DubMan

80 Vert

Just a little update, not a whole lot has changed lately but the rear parcel tray is back in for good along with both rear pillars just about completely replaced.
Next I'll start stripping all the underseal off the rear wheel tubs so that I can sandblast / prime the rear underside of the body.............hopefully this Sat weather permitting.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

Been chipping away at the underseal the last couple of nights doing one wheel arch each night, I started out with the propane torch but that set the underseal alight so in the end a heat gun set at 300 C and a gasket scraper did the job very well.
Didn't end up taking as long as first thought so both arches are ready for blasting, they look to be in pretty decent shape which is a nice surprise!
Looks like Saturday is going to be a cracker weather wise so I'm going to make the most of it.
Here's a couple of pics of the finished pillars too, not much to look at I know but its all progesss............

5-pot

some people recommend getting some dry ice, laying it on the underseal for a couple of minutes and giving it a good whack with a hammer to shatter a majority of it off.  Still need the heat gun and scraper to get the rest though.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

watercooled

This will be a very valuble car when you have finished,and it won't be one of those checkbook restorations like guys in the states do,top work ,cheers
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

80 Vert

Got given some paint stripper dics for a grinder a while back so I put one of them to use yesterday, quite a violent affair as it just rips off multiple layers of paint in one go right down to bare metal.
Pretty quick too, did a whole rear quarter in 30-35 mins. Unfortunately I uncovered a bodgy American repair in the process, they just love drilling holes and using a dent puller then bogging over it without welding up the holes!  ::) YAY another thing for me to straighten out and fix properly...........

Started beating on it with a dolly and slap stick but the panel has streched when repaired so there's an "oil can" there now so I used some heat to try and shrink it back with limited success, Its already 100% better but still needs more time spent to get it to a point where it will need little to no filler.

So that brings me to today, really bit off more than I could chew.................... :-[
Started blasting at 11 and worked right through to 3 pm at which time I epoxied everything I'd blasted which wasn't so bad....................but then the clean up.................. :(
Our yard out back looked like a beach  ;D which all had to be swept up  :(
That took another 2 hours after which I was about to pass out from exhaustion! so the lesson learnt is to do smaller areas next time.
Still, LOTS got done  >:D
NO MORE RUST!!! Rust holes yes  ;D >:D

Filx

I got a chance to see the progress yesterday and whoa - sorry to roll out a tired old cliche but words and pics don't do justice to the amount of work and skill in this thin already. She's going to be soooooo smooth and clean when she's finished.

But yes I didn't realise Henderson had a beach until I saw the results of the blasting outside the shop! hahahhaa
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

coons

Progress is looking pretty fast paced for a sideline project! This car is going to be hella cool  8)

Any further thoughts on colour? How about yellow?  ;)

What about wheels?

80 Vert

Hahaaahaaaa yellow, thats funny!
There is actually a very pale yellow with black roof that these came out in which looks pretty cool but my mind is fairly set on cream with black roof, going with 16x6 Fuchs all round  ;)

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

coons

Quote from: 80 Vert on April 22, 2012, 05:05:26 PM
Hahaaahaaaa yellow, thats funny!
There is actually a very pale yellow with black roof that these came out in which looks pretty cool but my mind is fairly set on cream with black roof, going with 16x6 Fuchs all round  ;)

Hahaha, nah I think cream is the right choice  8)

Glad I'm not the only one who turned your shop into a beach too  ;)

80 Vert

Cut a big hole in the bottom of the guard, will start making the needed panels tomorow to hopefully fix that area.
With a big gaping hole there it also allows me to sandblast the inside of the rear 1/4 panel and prime it, will still be tricky to get at but easier than through the taillight hole!  ;D
Same story on the other side but haven't cut that away yet...................

BB

Hmm it certainly shows that you can do all you like to the outside of a car but unless you deal to the inside it will still rust away quite fast at an age like this car is.
I use a product called ripo which I spray though a parts wash gun.
But it is only really as good as how much you can spray directly onto the surface and even though it "mists" it is not fail safe.
Sometimes you can unbolt stuff and spray though the bolt holes etc for coverage but Vert is doing it right eh :)

I once repaired a Holden Ute by cutting the whole rear side off and hammering it out and welding the same bit back on, wasn't to Verts standards of course but it was good job for the money paid ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

80 Vert

With the weather a bit iffy this morning and not really suitable for blasting I carried on repairing the rear lower corner of the body, started with making the new section for the inner fender and its not hard to see why these darn things rust
Perfect dirt / water trap between the 2 skins with no way out, I'll make a nice little drain gully in the new panels to avoid this problem in future.
Next up is the lower inner panel which I still need to cut a hole in for the drain pipe coming from the rear tray, starting to look a whole lot better.

couple of these panels have some pretty complex shapes, easy enough to make in a dirty big old press but by hand not so much.
Struggled quite a bit with the outer skin but here its roughed in and starting to take the correct shape.
Didn't help either that the other 2 panels I made are not yet welded so everything tends to move around a little.

Formed the wheel arch a little better, cut to size and trimming little by little got it to fit pretty nice.
Its all just held with weld clamps and vise grips right now and once primed inside the 1/4 I'll begin welding them in.
What is surprising is that I've gone through 2/3 of a 2400x1200 sheet of electrogalv already and the rear half isn't even finished yet ::)
All in all a great day to be in the shop working on the car!

ritmo

Very nice work as always vert..... out of curosity what gauge electro galv?

80 Vert

Most of the car seems to be 0.8mm and then some inner panels are thinner so I'm just using 0.8 for everything.
Have always prefered to use electro galv for its resistance to rusting especially on the inside once welded as a lot of those areas you can't get to afterwards.

coons

Are you putting that bonus vice grip that came with the car into use?

Looking good

ritmo

Quote from: 80 Vert on April 29, 2012, 08:35:30 PM
Most of the car seems to be 0.8mm and then some inner panels are thinner so I'm just using 0.8 for everything.
Have always prefered to use electro galv for its resistance to rusting especially on the inside once welded as a lot of those areas you can't get to afterwards.

nice thanks.

80 Vert

Quote from: coons on April 29, 2012, 09:11:11 PM

Are you putting that bonus vice grip that came with the car into use?

Looking good

Hahaaaa yeah I am, its in the picture!