Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

It was never about making epic power, really have no idea but it's something I've always wanted to try and it seemed like a great idea at the time  ;D
Maybe 150-160hp really don't know what to expect, only going to run low boost 8-10psi but getting it running will be a feat in itself and looking forward to that.

I wasn't going to bother with an intercooler due to the low boost but in the end after weighing up all the options I decided it a good idea if one would fit, there's barely any room left under the car but I realised that a MK4 GTI intercooler might fit if one of the inlets was changed but being plastic that would be a pain.
Looking at it some more it was obvious I could just remove one of the end tanks and swap it out with one from a 2nd donor intercooler.
Having something which looked like it might work I managed to find a spot under the car and made mounts to position it in the air flow as much as possible, Once finished I'll make some sort of duct to funnel air to it.

The biggest feat would be the intercooler piping due to no space so some outside the box thinking would be required, I started with a bunch of generic aluminium bends which I cut up as required.
Having run out of gas for the tig welder before I went overseas I just duct taped the pieces together meaning the whole thing could at least be test fit. I'm having to use every conceivable space in order to fit them and look like they are meant to be there.
I've still to make the rest of the turbo intake and place the filter before everything can be welded, once that's done hopefully I can find a good spot for the diverter valve and associated plumbing.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

the phantom

I generally check each Sunday afternoon for the next installment of air-cooled goodness, but somehow missed this one

is it just me or do the first two pictures not work?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

They all seem to work for me....
I'll be picking this up again next week, need to get it finished.

Worms

Quote from: 80 Vert on October 13, 2016, 03:29:19 AM
They all seem to work for me....

Not for us though :-(

I love seeing the progress on this too.

I'm not patient enough to ever complete a project like that!

80 Vert

Back in NZ and back to finishing this thing, before I left I'd made most of the intercooler piping but as I'd run out of Argon I wasn't able to weld any of it. Armed with a new bottle of gas quite a bit was achieved yesterday welding aluminium, had to trim a few of the joints for a better fit and also installed each piece with hose clamps to seat everything properly.
It's becoming quite awkward to work under there as there's hardly any room to even get your hand in to tighten things.
Made a mounting block for the boost map sensor and welded that on as well.
I went and saw a tuner in the UK and showed him what I was doing and he seemed impressed and at the same time left him asking why, his advice was to get it running first and then send him some logs to see what needs changing and go from there.
There's no guarantee this is going to work but they to offer a stand alone ecu which plugs directly in to the factory harness and uses all of the factory sensors which is nice to know that back up is there.

le mans

Cool. If you don't mind sharing who is the tuner and which aftermarket ECU are the peddling?

badhabit

Room much!! :o :o
all that's space under there finally has a use!!
2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

80 Vert

Quote from: le mans on October 23, 2016, 11:59:35 AM
Cool. If you don't mind sharing who is the tuner and which aftermarket ECU are the peddling?

Storm Developments, was great to meet their head tuner while I visited them.
Can't remember ECU brand but hopefully I won't need it, really want to try and make this set up work.

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

80 Vert

Finished off the intercooler piping last weekend welding on the last needed fittings and brackets, redesigned the fuel system by making a little surge tank which now houses a MK4 GTI pump. How I thought what I had there before was going to work is beyond me, obviously not thinking it though I guess.
Making the surge tank and giving it a suitable home was difficult without drilling any holes or modifying the car itself which has been the story of my life through out this project but the cool thing is should someone in the future want to return it to 100% stock they can by just unbolting everything................which won't be me!!
Intercooler piping done that was off to Tim at Pro Coat who as usual does a great job and collected it Friday so I had plenty to do yesterday.

Started fitting the fuel pump and sorting out the lines, first hurdle was making two trips to the parts store for the correct fittings and by now 11am with nothing achieved.
Pump finally in place the new fittings could be lockitited in to the tank so that could also go back in at the same time.
Trying to get the front end completed was a headache as every turn I took seemed to fight me which has been the way lately and even small things seem to take an age.

Fuel system hopefully sorted for now the engine could be finished off, fuel rails and injectors in and intercooler piping fitted.
Final shot of the finished for now engine bay bar some kind of breather system yet to be designed and some vacuum hoses to be finished.

the phantom

great work! looking forward to the video of the grumbly idle
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Yesterday was a fail with a capital F, been working towards putting fuel in it to pressurise the system so that I can check for leaks and yesterday was to be that day but when you pour gasoline in and it comes right back out again you know you're not going to have a great day  >:(
Thankfully I only put a few litres in but it still made a big mess and the whole place stinks of gas now, looking at where it was leaking its become evident that the MK4 pump has a breather hole in it which is where the fuel is leaking from.

Looking at it more its pretty clear that the MK4 pump is designed solely as an in tank pump and to be submerged in fuel at all times so by me placing it on its side with the outlet outside the surge tank = problem.
Where to from here, my original Walbro pump I had is an external pump but as luck or lack of would have it a different diameter to the Golf one.
Of course I'd custom made the surge tank to fit the Golf pump which all seemed to be wasted now but not to be outdone a solution had to be found, fortunately the Walbro is a smaller diameter so I could machine a step up ring for it.
The pump body wasn't very smooth so first I machined a tiny bit off the pump body to clean up the roughness and then made an aluminium ring slightly smaller than the pump body.
With the ring made I heated it with a gas torch which allowed it to easily slip over the pump, cooled down its there to stay for good.
Loctite between them will help seal the two parts together, with the ring in place the standard o ring idea I had should seal it to the surge tank.
That's what you get for trying something new, must say I'm getting rather tired of taking steps backwards.

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

80 Vert

No need for a lot of drivel this week other than IT RUNS on Bosch Motronic!!!!!  >:D

VW'n

Bit the drivel is the best part!.
Great that it runs that should keep the build motivated.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

rambo_005

GLIDN

Quote from: 80 Vert on November 02, 2016, 02:34:15 PM
Storm Developments, was great to meet their head tuner while I visited them.
Can't remember ECU brand but hopefully I won't need it, really want to try and make this set up work.

He is good
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

80 Vert

Bit more done during the week, main problem was i couldn't run it for long where its parked so some aluminium home heating pipe made a great fume extractor to dump the fumes out the window.
It was quite a flaky starter at the beginning and wouldn't start at all with the cam position sensor connected so that was the first thing to try and fix. I started looking at the timing of the trigger wheel which all seemed to be in the right place and confirmed the firing order was what it should be as water and air cooled firing orders differ. The problem was the old distributor which I converted in to a cam position sensor turned out to be 180 deg out of phase.
A simple remove the drive cog and flip over fixed that and she now starts first turn of the key, even my home made tach works a charm.

Fuel trims were also not working but the donor motor all this F. I stuff came off had VVT which I have no need for, a resistor here to fool the ecu for now got the adaptations working, as we go the VVT will be coded out but for now this will do.
From cold it idles a bit higher as it should, gradualy coming down to around 800rpm as it warms up.
I'm confident enough with progress that I can carry on finishing the remaining things under the car to make it driveable.