Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

At last.............progress, sandblaster picked the body up this morning with his big ass truck saving me faffing around with a trailer.
Lucky he's only 5 min down the road so nice and easy, called in there this arvo and they had just about finished blasting the whole front end and should have been primed last thing today.
Body should be back sometime tomorow if the weather holds.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

Well we're back on track, body delivered at lunch all clean and primed...........the weather can get stuffed now for all I care!

Lots to do and quite a few more holes found, some parts look like swiss cheese but the important areas are fine.
Soo much nicer having it all clean and de rusted, stayed behind tonight and got on with some welding.
Filled some small holes in the inner sills and welding on the rear lower guard as well as the wiring tube and front heater outlet pipe.
All these parts I made a while ago so it was real easy just placing them and welding it together, once that was done and seam sealed I re primed the inner sill so that it will be dry tomorow for me to weld the outer skin on.

Blasting also uncovered this mess, this is a typical American repair  ::) drill holes, dent pull and bog it up.............I mean WTF???  >:(
Just a joke, obviously not capable of anything else.....................will probably cut that whole area out and make a new panel for it as trying to fix that swage line could be interesting  ::) :-\

spooln

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 07, 2012, 07:48:34 PM
Well we're back on track, body delivered at lunch all clean and primed...........the weather can get stuffed now for all I care!

More curves than Pamela
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

ranton-inc

That repair job is abysmal... :-/

Sent via Tapatalk

BB

I bet the repair looked fine and it isn't rusty so they sealed it up ok.
Its a cost thing, most people do not want to pay for a whole panel to be cut of and remade so they just do what they have done there and get the job done looking fine for sensible money.
Its good you want to do better but a bog repair is fine if that's what you ask for.
I know you will all now say "insurance" but maybe it was not insured.
All shops do pull and bog repairs, hardly anybody will go to the lengths you go to Vert. ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Trofeo

So the blasting takes off all the surface rust? And then the paint primer seals it so the rust won't come back? The result looks great btw! Wish I had the patience and enthusiasm to do something like that!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

80 Vert

Yeah sandblasting takes off all the paint, rust and bog leaving you with just clean metal then epoxy primer seals it all up preventing it rusting again.
It can be a scary proposition getting a body blasted as you just never know what is under all that paint and bog, I had to laugh as there was a Mini at the blasters which was just rooted from end to end with gaping holes and dents everywhere...............even Dave said hmm I hope the guy was expecting all of this  ;D

Apparently a few people have come to collect their body and just abandoned it right there on the spot!

ranton-inc

Its fun blasting things back seeing how bad or ok sonethong really is under rust...

1mm of steel can expand out to about 10mm of rust scale.. pretty scary

You find on double skinned truck chassis when rusting has occoured the power of the corrosion has pushed the chassis skins apart yet when its cleaned out you often find that there is still 5.5mm left of the original 6mm plate...

Sent via Tapatalk

80 Vert

Its quite freaky how rust just pushes metal apart, there's just no stopping it but to cut it out and replace it.

Been giving serious thought in the last week to putting a turbo on this thing, just can't really imagine only having 100-120hp even though its going to be 2000cc  ;D
Since I'm going to use the whole engine management inc all sensors, MAF and crank trigger from a AUM 1.8T I thought I might as well use the KO3 I have and boost it.
Keep compression low to keep heat down as much as I can should still go well.
Firing order is different aircooled to watercooled but thats the easy enough to change.

80 Vert

Had a hugely successfull day on the body yesterday just carrying on from Friday, and with the epoxy now dry enough I got to work attaching the outer sill skin.

A bit of last minute trimming and welding could begin, again just taking time to not heat the area too much it took more than half the day to get this section finished and ground up.
Certainly changes ones perspective once big parts of the body get completed so onwards we go.
I do ask myself sometimes though what is it about us car guys that we look at an old pile like this and think yeah yeah I could fix that   ::) ;D

With that out of the way I carried on with one of the swiss cheese areas found from blasting, best thing was just to cut it all away and start a fresh with all new metal.
Made the new pieces just like the factory did also with a strengthening plate behind the captive nut.
Got all the pieces done and double checked them holding them in place with vise grips, last thing for the day I welded the parts in and ground everything up......rust gone!
I'm going to try and get back to doing an hour or so after work each day to try and get on top of the rust work in the body but we'll see how that goes.

coons

Woa that repair around the swage line, what a mess! Looking much better now though having been blasted and primed.
KO3? Pffft, I'd expect better from you John

the phantom

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 08, 2012, 10:18:40 PM
Its quite freaky how rust just pushes metal apart, there's just no stopping it but to cut it out and replace it.

Been giving serious thought in the last week to putting a turbo on this thing, just can't really imagine only having 100-120hp even though its going to be 2000cc  ;D
Since I'm going to use the whole engine management inc all sensors, MAF and crank trigger from a AUM 1.8T I thought I might as well use the KO3 I have and boost it.
Keep compression low to keep heat down as much as I can should still go well.
Firing order is different aircooled to watercooled but thats the easy enough to change.

watercooled/aircooled?  are you considering a wasserboxer motor?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Quote from: coons on September 09, 2012, 01:34:07 PM
Woa that repair around the swage line, what a mess! Looking much better now though having been blasted and primed.
KO3? Pffft, I'd expect better from you John

Bhahahaaa thought you might say that, I agree KO3 is for pussies but heat and aircooled don't mix hence a tiny turbo  ;D

Sticking with aircooled Steve, want the car to appear as "stock" as possible

BB

Leave it NA is what I would suggest, but then I'm too lazy and broke to do what you seem to do so well :)

80 Vert

What a huge difference a couple of hours each day make, been doing more rust rust and some rust.
The sandblasting revealed lots of pinholes and very bad pitting in the front boot area and after trying to weld up the pin holes it became evedent pretty quickly that wasn't going to work how I wanted it.
2 options, bodge it or cut each area out and make new pieces................guess which one I went with.....
First area to be done was around the front hinge and boot corner so with new pieces made they were welded in and cleaned up, quite a tricky area to do as there's not really any room for a grinder or such.
Did most of it with a die grinder which was pretty slow going but its looking a whole lot better.

Next the area of the inner guard which was holed / pitted really badly so quite a big section cut out and replaced, multi curved panel created a few challenges...............
End of the heater channel closed in on that side as well so now just a couple more patches to go on this front corner  ;D will it ever end?

Brings me to tonights efforts, even some of the wiring hold down straps had rusted away but at least they were a 5 min job to re make and weld on which pretty much completed the left front corner. Hopefully getting the lower nose welded back together tomorrow.
I'm gaining on the rust, slowly its all going away!

ranton-inc

80 Vert

Some pretty epic progress made yesterday welding its face back together, helps having all the pieces already made so got started drilling holes in it for the plug welds and then lining up the new panel on the body and holing it in place with panel clamps and vise grips.
Double check everything before tacking it in place, took me quite a bit of time to make this lower nose so the last thing I need is to screw it up welding it in place!

Happy with where it sits I began removing the clamps one by one welding as I went being carefull not to build up too much heat.
Concentrated on the center section and worked outwards, grinding up each area and metal finishing as I went along, being that there's a big hole just underneath the weld area it made it a lot easier to work the panel with the dolly / slapstick.
Seeing it all come together was an awesome feeling, not often I'm impressed with what I've done but I'm pretty stoked to get where I am with this.

So after about 3/4's of the days work on the nose its pretty much done, all welded, ground and metal finished.
Still have a couple of things left to finish on it, especially on the inner side but its another big piece done and back together.
Once its primed I'll block it and see if I can pick out some of the smaller lows and bring those out as well, would be nice if I can do a no filler repair on it.

With a few hours left in the day I took out a bunch of other dents in the body and started looking at repairing the spare wheel tub.
It would probably be easier finding another wheel tub but its almost impossible in NZ so I'd have to import one which takes time and $$ so I'll just fix what I have instead.
As you can see its quite a mess of dents and rust holes so my aim is to fix each end of it and cut out the center section and replace that as its rusted.
Before and after, this is after about an hours work with the dolly / slapstick coming out better than I thought.
Hopefully on monday do the other side and then fix the rust.

johnp

John since you are busy slapping it with the schlap stick, are you tig welding?
I have never had much success schlaping panels if there has been mig welding as the mig weld is high tensile and the panel is not.
Whats the go?

BB

Vert you are a top class welder, just amazing how invisible your welds are!

ranton-inc

Quote from: johnp on September 16, 2012, 07:56:08 PM
John since you are busy slapping it with the schlap stick, are you tig welding?
I have never had much success schlaping panels if there has been mig welding as the mig weld is high tensile and the panel is not.
Whats the go?

From what I have seen Johnp, verty does it all with a Wizzbang Mig welder,

Have you been using Flux Core wire johnp as I think Flux Cored is Higher Tensile then regular solid core wire...?

then again I'm pretty new to welding and my Welds still look like Seagulls were fed laxatives and let loose....