Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevHappy

Any new year updates?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

CURRENT: Mk2 Golf - 1.8t, Coil overs, Passat leather, 16x8, Daily Driven

GONE: Mk2 Jetta - Big Bumpers, Big Windows, Lowered, 15X6 Alloys, and MK1 Suzuki Cultus Gti G13b rally cams, bilstein shocks and springs, momo 14X7 alloys

80 Vert

Took a break from working on the car over the Christmas hollidays but time to get back on track with it, must say it took a little effort to get going again as its definately easier to do nothing  ::)
Just more of the same really, sanded the front underbody and wheel tubs so that these can be seam sealed and primed.
With everything sealed I got a coat of sanding primer on and once that had flashed off followed that up with the water based sound deadener.
All of this should keep things sealed for a few years to come.
The whole underbody is now pretty much done meaning I can get on with straightening up the outside of the body, I'll do all the lower parts of the nose and rear 1/4's with it upside down in the rotisserie which should be a lot easier.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

brian

Is that the Wurth protectant/sound deadener you are using?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

Yep, Wurth waterbased......SKS I think its called.
Really great stuff, nice finish and dries very quickly unlike some of the solvent based ones.

brian

Yeah, I thought so, used that on a couple of my projects and is the best stuff I ever used
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

On with more bodywork, started on the filler work yesterday which I'm really not a fan of at all but I do want it really straight so its gotta be done.
You very quickly realize how big this journey is when you try and do everything yourself, rust, bodywork, paint, chassis, motor/trans, interior etc etc etc as opposed to sending it from shop to shop and manage that process but thats no fun now is it...........
I'm very happy though with how little bog its taking to get things looking right, just little bits here and there to feather out panel joints etc, ultimately though my goal would be for no filler repairs but I'm not there yet.
Right rear 1/4 and top of rear deck are now close enough for a 180 grit block but I'll get the rest of the body to this stage first and hopefully I'll be at that point just before the new roof gets here.

BB

Was just showing my mate this build and he is just amazed at the level of quality and skill.
Good on you John.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

80 Vert

Back on the bodywork, managed to get the other rear quarter done and the lower half of the nose as well.
With the sun beating down outside it was ideal to prime those areas and guide coat them.
Its all actually coming up better than I thought it would, can't wait to have gone right around the body and will then do a 120 grit block before doing 180 then 600.
I guess its not crazy far away from getting some paint on it but once the body is ready for its final 600 I'll leave it to settle so that all the primers and any filler have a chance to shrink while I paint and build the chassis and motor.

BB

80 Vert

What better thing to do than use Waitangi day to do sanding  >:D spent half of the day at work to finish off sanding the front end to get the body in primer, the left front guard was the previously badly repaired one and even though I'd done a pile of work on it including welding in another section I still wasn't 100% happy with it so now that it had the epoxy on it I just hit it with 80 grit to reveal all the lows and had another go at beating those out.
Got it a lot better without being silly about it which suits me a lot better, did a little filler work and primed the front end.
Roof arives 3 April so I gotta get my crap together and finish this body, its funny I look at it now and think oh wow its actually a pretty nice body  ::) ;D
This weekend I'll start the 120 grit blocking so we'll see then just how straight she'll be.

BB

Its a better than new body with all that modern non rusting thicker steel in it.

spud mk2

A nice T34 has just turned up on 'Bring a Trailer' . Cool looking car.

80 Vert

Time to carry on with paint stripping panels, bare metaled the outside of the other door during the week and was surprised to find no rust holes, bog or dents......Bonus!
Quite the opposite to the passengers door which I've already repaired, still to blast the inner frame etc which I had planned to do yesterday but ran short of sand and had to keep recycling what I had as it was just to be able to finish the decklid.

Used the same method on the outside of the decklid as I did on the door, purple paint stripper discs on a grinder which work well on multi layers of paint, don't think blasting would be an option when there are so many layers of paint to get off.
Stripped the louvres by hand with an angled air grinder and an 80 grit wheel which was fun..............NOT  ::) :(
Sandblasted the inside and over the louvres as well once most of the paint was gone, the decklid was very surface rusty, especially under the paint for some reason but it came out pretty mint really with no repairs needed at all.

Sweeping up constantly and re using the sand got pretty annoying but did that just long enough to blast the inner rain try as well, at least thats another part done.
Will have to go get more sand next week to finish off the other door and front hood which I know has a couple of rust holes in the very front of it.

DubMan

80 Vert

Doing another side project at home, this time making the interior panels.
Armed with the OEM cloth and some Bus center panels I've started with the door panels first, taking my time measuring before cutting anything the 1st one has come out awesome.
Really like the combination of the red and off white material, getting on with the other side tonight and will sew up the door pockets during the week.
Still to find some staples short enough so that they don't poke through the other side, quite like doing upholstery stuff even if the house reeks of glue now  :lol:

DubMan

coons

Ohhh interior, nice. That colour combo looks great

the phantom

you'll have to change the title of this thread to ex-rustbucket, John!
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

BB

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 17, 2013, 07:13:12 PM
Doing another side project at home, this time making the interior panels.
Armed with the OEM cloth and some Bus center panels I've started with the door panels first, taking my time measuring before cutting anything the 1st one has come out awesome.
Really like the combination of the red and off white material, getting on with the other side tonight and will sew up the door pockets during the week.
Still to find some staples short enough so that they don't poke through the other side, quite like doing upholstery stuff even if the house reeks of glue now  :lol:

That is awesome :)

80 Vert

Not much motivation to work in the heat this morning but felt I really should do something at least so started paint stripping the bonnet, tried a few different methods now and paint stripper discs in a grinder are by far the quickest but there's a big difference in quality as per usual.
Smith and Arrow coarse blue paint & rust strip are the ones to get, last longer and cut through the paint quicker, you do have to be carefull of how much heat you build up though especially on something thin like this t34 panel.
Pretty much worked my way right around the whole thing and also did part of the inner frame and inner flat areas too.

Right at the front were a few rust holes so the only way to repair it right was to cut and remove a section of the inner frame so that I can blast it, repair and prime it after which I'll just weld the section back in.
Couldn't be bothered blasting this afternoon so worked on one of the doors instead before packing it in early.

Made more progress on the door panels too during the week, finished the other side and made new map pockets which were stapled / glued on like original, pleats worked out exactly how I wanted.
Last night I made the first of the rear panels which worked out nice, heat seamed lines didn't line up unfortunately so had to make some "adjustments"  :lol:
One more to make tomorow and the welt to staple on, SMS auto fabrics sent me the wrong welt in the wrong colour and are also being a pain about fixing their mistake, what is it with companies these days?