Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badhabit

ahhh the antiquated old air cooled lump!
good to see it getting some BBJ love.
2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

80 Vert

Had to go see Steve Murch today about a turbo issue which was cool to catch
up with him again after many years, discussed turbo options for this and
have a direction to go down.
KO3 is out, bigger turbo is in  ;D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Filx

I quite like the look of how tis has been setup. No idea if that packaging would work on a T34 though???

With a big(ish) turbo and low boost levels it's likely not to need an intercooler. Or if it does a water/meth kit should probably suffice if additional charge cooling is required.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

80 Vert

Quote from: Filx on August 28, 2013, 01:11:21 PM
I quite like the look of how tis has been setup. No idea if that packaging would work on a T34 though???

With a big(ish) turbo and low boost levels it's likely not to need an intercooler. Or if it does a water/meth kit should probably suffice if additional charge cooling is required.

Wrong style engine I'm afraid, that's Type1 upright vs Type3 pancake but good thought none
the less.
Cooling will be the big thing, need external oil cooler and I'll also try and at least run a GTI
intercooler if I can fit it all in...............I do this every time, over complicate a simple car  ;D

watercooled

Bypass cooler with thermo fan,g60 charge air cooler or similar compact size,head temp sensor linked into timing control,or what ever direction you are going,reckon you will make 160hp+ dependant on boost?it will be fun go for it John.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

80 Vert

Got a box of used turbo's today, K24 and K26's will give all of it to Steve Murch to make one
useable unit.
With low boost should still see a couple of hundred hp, more than enough for the old girl.
Starting back on the car tomorrow after being away in the US, plan is to have it pained by
Christmas  ::)

80 Vert

Back to reality this week and back on the old girl.
Got back on Monday and ordered the L282 and L41 paints which were delivered later this week so yesterday I started wet sanding the insides of all the off panels.
Made decent progress and sanded the hinges, bonnet, bootlid, one door and rear air rain tray.
Made a bit of a cock up with the primer as its difficult to sand due to it's rock hard nature but that's life I guess, will just take a little more time.

80 Vert

First parts painted with mixed results or I'm too fussy  :-\
Can't say I'm 100% on the colour either, just not quite what I expected to see as
its quite a bit more yellow white rather than off white but hey its on now and
i'm not going to change it.
Should still look ok with a black roof, seems a bit lighter when in direct sunlight
so we'll just hope for the best.
The coming weeks will see the underside of the body gone through, still lots to do
if I have any hope at all of painting the outside over the hollidays  ::)

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

the phantom

always hard to tell due to monitor and card issues, but I think it'll look amazing
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

le mans

^^ I second that! Great colour for that era of car.

80 Vert

An update from past few weeks and we are finally making some progress again, have come to the realization pretty quickly that the epoxy is just too damn hard to sand.
In fact it's so hard that it ruins 600 grit paper pretty much instantly so unfortunately have had to face the fact that the whole body needs to be 180 grit sanded and a suitable sanding primer applied, short cuts almost never work and I should have known that  ::)
Spent pretty much a whole day sanding and found that even 180 grit was hard going but got all the way around except for the roof which I did later in the week and re primed it after work last Friday.

I'm sure most are sick of seeing this in primer as I am but here's a few pics anyway.

All going well that's pretty much it for the outside at long last.
This whole process hasn't been without its problems but I'm certainly glad to be at this point right now, realized I'd also need a rolling chassis fairly soon so on Friday I took the Fuchs to the polisher to have those done.
That's just one filthy job I'm just too lazy to do and would probably never get as good as Jack who has 44 years experience!  :o
Imagine doing polishing for 44 years...............WOW!

Yesterday I started off by getting the door braces back in and the body back in the rotisserie to make painting a little easier, I'm usually a fan of wet sanding as it makes less mess in the shop but for the inside of the front cargo area I thought dry sanding would be best so that there's not so much sludge mess to clean up and water + T34 isn't a real good idea  :P
Once the body was mounted I just started with 400 grit which is a little coarser then i'd like but should be ok for an area covered up later, at least its quicker to sand.
By early afternoon I'd kinda had enough of sanding so instead of moving on to the rear I decided to paint the front half, pictures speak louder than words.................  >:D ;D >:D
Paint at long last!

badhabit

Creamy / Ivory goodness!!
WOW!
Pics show completely different colours. Classic ivory hue in the flesh though. Sweet!
Been imagining it with the polished wheels.....hmmmmm So cool! Highlights of red through the spokes. Stuff dreams are made of!!

Your interior has red highlights aye?
2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

the phantom

80 Vert

Yep will go with a black roof,
Anywho more progress, been sanding the whole of the rear end this week in the hope of painting on Saturday, happened to see the weather forecast for the weekend which was meant to be sh*t and since Friday was a total ripper with hardly any wind I made a last minute decision to do some painting after work.
The paint supplier must have given me fast activator because even painting the front half I found the paint to dry a bit too fast which left me a with a little problem doing the rear as that area is more complex and bigger.
Trying to hit all the edges and corners takes a lot more time then just spraying a flat panel hence I'd asked for slow activator but I have what I have so had to make the most of it.

At first I thought I might break it in to two sections but once I got going I thought damn it I'll paint the lot, what I did in the end I put 2 decent cover coats on all of it and ignored the dry areas (paint dried THAT quick, combination of activator and a hot day) then reduced the paint I had left by another 25-30% making the final coat a very thin wet coat over everything which worked out great.
Hard to see in the pictures but it has a very wet glossy look to it, such a dramatic change from the pile of rust that it was................. ::) :P

80 Vert

Couldn't believe the weather yesterday, rain and thunderstorms didn't eventuate so rather than take a breather and be lazy I cracked on with the doors.
Sanded the insides of the doors and found a way to hang them up for painting, by the time I was ready for spraying the wind had died down almost completely it seemed like the gods were giving me a break so I made the most of it.
Painted the doors which puts another tick in one of the many boxes and looking at the time I realized it was actually early enough to do a bunch of the small parts so I sanded the hinges, hood springs and torsion covers as well and painted those outside in the heat.
Great thing about hot weather is that by the time you've finished one coat you can almost immediately start your second coat  :lol: Although you have to be careful to not get runs, I got a couple of very small ones which will be easy to sort out once everything is dry.

Angle

Reading your thread is a mixed blessing - what you are doing is inspiring, which is almost immediately followed by a feeling (upon self reflection) of laziness and incompetence :)

the phantom

Quote from: AngleBox on November 24, 2013, 11:12:51 AM
Reading your thread is a mixed blessing - what you are doing is inspiring, which is almost immediately followed by a feeling (upon self reflection) of laziness and incompetence :)

amen brother, amen