Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badhabit

What was the underlay you found?
Nothing here I guess. Formans deleted the foam/bitumen stuff.

2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

80 Vert

I found or should say Dubstar found the bitumen type stuff in Australia which is the same as what I had back in the day from Forman, he kindly brought some over for me which was awesome and wish now I'd got some more for the Porsche.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

dubstar

Will be back over again soon.

Here is the seal place I mentioned.  Maybe they could match a profile

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/catalogue.htm
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

80 Vert

Yesterday I thought i'd have a go at attaching the door and 1/4 panel welting, correct P profile welt arrived from TMI late last year and looks to be quite nice if not a fraction smaller than original.
Decided I would glue and staple it on to make sure it stays where it is supposed to be, once attached I test fitted the door panels to see how they would look and also attaching them to the door will keep them flat.
I love how they came together and the edging just adds the finishing touch.
Must get on to finishing my vacuum table to cover the door and quarter tops which will be the final part to complete the doors.

80 Vert

The time has come when I can't put off dealing with vacuum forming any longer, on top of that I HATE wood work especially that sawdust and glue rubbish MDF so a double whammy there but yesterday I got in to making my vacuum table so that I can have a crack at covering the door and 1/4 top pads.
Drilling several 100 holes was a tedious process as well, had a lot of trouble getting the basic box together as you can't really nail or screw MDF as it just splits apart so blocks of wood was the answer there which worked ok.

I made the box large enough to do the dash tops as well when those are ready and for smaller pieces I can just block off half of the table top, once the box was done I stood back and realized that I'd made it way taller than it needed to be so got the skill saw out again and cut 2/3's off it getting it to the height which should work ok.
Also put in a couple of supports down the middle to support the top plate as it might otherwise cave in which I don't really need.
Made an attachment for the vacuum cleaner and sealed the joins with aluminium tape.
Next up will be a frame to hold the dash vinyl and some thinking of some way to heat that up as it will be too large to fit in the oven, some challenges still to over come but that's what makes it fun.

the phantom

rather than an oven, would working it with a heat gun be a possibility?  you could take it slowly to get a good fit as you work
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Ok time to get serious and stop procrastinating over the door and quarter tops, I've spent ages researching various methods of vacuum forming but nothing really to be found about doing dashes.
There are a couple of videos here and there but nothing in any great detail so mostly as always has been guess work / learn as you go  :lol: 
I'd made a vacuum table a while ago but decided that was way too tall so I cut 2/3 of it off and sealed it back up.

Then a frame of sorts had to be made to hold the dash vinyl sheet and as always I over thought it making it quite complicated till a friend of mine suggested making a simple wooden frame and stapling the material to it.........Easy!!
Vacuum table sorted, frame sorted.............next problem heating the vinyl evenly.........looked at a propane torch used on roofing membrane but decided you have no real control with that and wouldn't heat sheet evenly.
Oil heater, not enough heat..........
More google searches later I came up with a radiant heater with a wooden box surrounding it lined with aluminum foil to radiate the heat upwards.
This I decided might work so started building the box...

With the box built and material stapled to the frame for the first time I had the thought that "holy sh*t this might actually work!!"
I did the rear 1/4 pads first and they were small enough to do both at once saving a bunch of material and not knowing if it was going to work I didn't want to waste too much of it as I don't have an endless supply.
I bought the material more than a year ago from the only place in the country I could find which sold it buying their entire stock.....which wasn't much in the end.
Set up the parts on the table propping them up a bit so that the vinyl would hopefully get sucked around the part a little.
Apparently heat activated glue is used in the process but again unable to find any I had to improvise so i decided to vacuum the material over without glue, then peel it off once cooled and glue it.............doesn't work that well..... :roll: more improvising required........

Moment of truth, vinyl hot enough I figured and seemed pretty even according to the infra red thermometer so suck it up so to speak and give it a shot.
Placed the frame over the parts and pushed it down while switching on the vaccum cleaner, BOOM some sucky action later two covered pads  :lol:
Left the vacuum cleaner on a while till the vinyl had cooled some.
Not everything went to plan mainly I thing due to using closed cell foam over the steel substrate  and thinking about it now it makes perfect sense as air trapped under the vinyl cannot escape through the foam, but it worked well enough to do the job and on the front ones I make the holes for the trim in the foam which will help some overcome that problem.

By now I'm feeling pretty stoked but that didn't last long as peeling the vinyl off wasn't that easy and gluing it back on was even more difficult.
The front ones will need to be glued at the beginning I think or at least I have to try it that way.
I worked around the whole thing folding over and gluing the edges and in doing so cut the bottom edge of the first one far too short but it will still be ok I think as its hidden by the interior quarter panel.

The second one came out a lot better, nice edge on the bottom to tuck under the quarter panel.
The material itself is a brown ish colour so it has to be sprayed to the colour of choice which of course is black, little glossy for my liking but maybe I can knock that gloss down a little..........we'll see.
Door tops next, have to modify the heating box for those two so didn't get to those today but Monday is a holiday so................

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

weta.worker

This is hands down the best thread on this forum (IMHO)  :police:
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

spooln

Quote from: weta.worker on April 26, 2015, 06:36:03 AM
This is hands down the best thread on this forum (IMHO)  :police:

Agreed. You would never believe this was the same car unless you read the whole thing.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Filx

Awesome work, making tools to make parts with - next level!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

80 Vert

Installed one today, not half bad I have to say.
I'm going to have a go at vacuum forming the door pads tomorrow and then on to making a new dash next weekend.

80 Vert

Made a start on one of the door tops last night, rain outside and nothing on TV gave me a good enough excuse to head to the shop and play around.
First thing was to make the box longer to account for the larger piece of vinyl for the door tops, easily extended with plywood and covered again with aluminum foil.
I suspected that the one heater I had wouldn't quite cut the mustard with heat output to evenly heat the sheet..............I was right.
150 celcius seems to be the limit of this heater which for simple shapes like this is fine but anything more complicated will need another 50 deg of heat I think.
Since I had everything in place I tried heating the colder ends some more with a mapp gas burner which kinda worked good enough to cover one of the pads.

To overcome the trapped air due to the closed cell foam I used I pre cut the trim holes in the foam this time before covering the door top so that the air could be sucked out through the little holes which seemed to work a lot better than the rear ones.
I don't know how well this glue will hold up in direct sun / heat but it's not like the car will be parked outside with the windows up for long periods of time so hopefully it will last.
With the part set up on the table and the vinyl struggling to get hot enough I wondered if I should call it quits and leave it till today but I figured I'm here now so I'll give it a shot, besides whats the worst that could happen right?
Well other than getting the frame not quite lined up meaning I didn't have as much vacuum as I could have it turned out pretty good.

Folding the edges over neatly is quite difficult, the originals are just trimmed off at the edge but mine I folded over to make extra sure this stuff stays on and clamping it to the door helps with that as well.
Spent a couple of hours gluing the edges and trimming the panel up, drilled the holes through the vinyl for the trim ready for a coat of black vinyl paint.
By now I'd had enough and left it alone to dry, which brings me to this morning.................I just have to have this installed TODAY you know!

Cleaned the panel with solvent and layed down a coat of black only to have it dry to a very dull spotted finish, weird..........was fine yesterday........
Suddenly thought that the weather today is a lot colder so I pre warmed the piece with the hot air gun and hit it again, BOOM success!!
Must have been the drop in temperature, who knows.
Vinyl paint is fast drying which suits me well, 30 min later on with the trim and install this sucker.
Nice fit on the door and in some ways seems to fit nicer than the factory ones, over all a great result and pretty much exactly what I needed.
On to the other side now but I'll first have to get another heater........

80 Vert

Both parts installed, trim lines up and things look pretty straight, sometimes I amaze even myself.
One door top left to do then on to the dashes, that ought to be fun.

the phantom

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 28, 2015, 06:55:00 PM

[/url]

is a bumper going to obscure this pretty nose, or might you install nerf bars for protection?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Yep, bumpers with over riders. Waiting for Stainless ones to become available which will save me getting my pile of rubbish re chromed.

80 Vert

Since the vacuum forming was a success I've been thinking about how I'm going to make the new dash pad this last week and I believe I've got a pretty good idea now...............lets see if it works.
I'm sure it won't be as easy as that but as long as there's a positive result i'm ok with that.

RH side completed minus a couple of small items, I don't know where all this enthusiasm has come from but I'll roll with it while it's around.
Door and 1/4 pads installed after rust proofing the entire 1/4 panel and door along with the rocker which also meant I could finally put the long trim on again, last time that was on the car it was completely beat to sh*t!

On a side note talking to Filx today about the fuel system and how our gas rots fuel hose very quickly especially on cars like this which sit around a lot so to over come this I've decided to run plastic lines for supply and return from a MK4 Golf GTI, hey they're free and still keeps it in the family.
With the clever clip together fittings they have they are already set up for a fuel filter and will flow enough for the 2.0 turbo.

badhabit

Raising the bar Mr K!
crap that looks good! As close to a new KG as you can come!
2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

VW'n

Quote from: badhabit on May 01, 2015, 06:22:59 PM
Raising the bar Mr K!
s**t that looks good! As close to a new KG as you can come!

My moneys on Better then new.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)